Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bertin cyclocross?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bertin cyclocross?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-23, 04:28 AM
Chris27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bertin cyclocross?

Hello everyone,
I was directed to this forum by a very helpful guy on a different forum, sorry I don't know his name. Some years ago I picked up an interesting bike that I was told was a Peugeot, however despite the decals and the Peugeot stem, this may not be the case. The bike may actually be a Bertin and I understand there is someone, bertinjim, who is an authority on the make. As far as I can tell there isn't a frame number on the bike. I can't contact Jim directly because I have insufficient posts to overcome the anti-spam software. Anyway, the bike has the following:

Prugnat 62bis lugs
Ekla H fork crown.
'BUTTED' stamped on the seat tube, there may be more stamping but the paint is rock hard and mostly yet to be removed

'VITUS' on the fork legs
Seat tube is 28mm OD, seat post is Sakae 25.25mm OD
Both the fixed and adjustable crank cups are right-hand threads
Head and crank sets are Stronglight
Brake levers Mafac
Cantilever brakes are Mafac, Criterium I think
The front wheel spoke crossings are wired

I appreciate some of the above may not reflect the original build.

If the bike is something a little special I would pay for the frame to be professionally restored, maybe Argos in Bristol (UK), but without knowing what it is and without a picture this would be difficult to get right. If anyone can shed light on the bike I'd be grateful, and if you know Jim, maybe let him know about this thread.

Thanks in advance,
Chris.
Old 10-21-23, 04:31 AM
Chris27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi again,
I have uploaded some pictures to my gallery, I couldn't embed them because I have insufficient posts. I'll get there!
Old 10-21-23, 06:43 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris27
Hi again,
I have uploaded some pictures to my gallery, I couldn't embed them because I have insufficient posts. I'll get there!

-----

nothing showing as of this writing

-----
Old 10-21-23, 07:32 AM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 162 Posts
Pic assist

Lots of decals!

Horn may suggests the frame is older than the decals

Likes For Schreck83:
Old 10-21-23, 07:44 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,602 Times in 1,764 Posts
Welcome on the other side, Chris27 ! And thanks, Schreck83 , for assisting with the pics.

I'm afraid I am - at least partly - to blame for this arrival. I like that bike and would really like to know whether it might be a Bertin product, and if not what else it might be.

Paging bertinjim !

Old 10-21-23, 08:27 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Bertin for decades would stamp the size on the outside of the non drive side dropout, center to top. Nada here.
no serial number either but that is not definitive.
The seat stay tops are also different, these extend beyond and are formed to the curve.

The striping on the fork IS of the appearance that Bertin did up until 1973 or so on upper models.
The lug lining is different, the internal top tube routing of the brake cable is not of the type seen until many years later.

French, but inconclusive as to “cameraman”. (Word that google translate converts from French to English for framebuilder often)
Old 10-21-23, 08:58 AM
juvela

-----

lug pattern Prugnat 62/s

fork crown NERVEX D/B Randonneur cut Nr. 7

ends set Juy Ref. 1752 / 1753 & Ref. 932 / 933

agree with others; see nothing to suggest Andyness

perchance members @Markeologist & MauriceMoss will see something

-----

Last edited by juvela; 10-22-23 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spellin'
Old 10-21-23, 09:36 AM
Chris27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Schreck83 for help with the pictures. I think this is great, people all over the planet sharing an interest in a bike that cost less than £100 and came with an unused tubular tyre! Looking at it from a different angle, is it possible to say what it isn't? By that I mean are the Peugeot decals simply wrong?

I have been busy polishing the aluminium parts and the way they have come up suggests quality materials. I have a lot of experience restoring old motorcycles and often, no matter how much effort you put in, you can never get some of the aluminium parts to come up as you would like, especially on some of the early Japanese models. This is only the second bicycle I have tackled and I must say the Mafac cantilevers now look like little jewels, probably no surprise to you guys!

To confuse matters further I was looking through old emails from when I bought the bike and the vendor told me it had been ridden by Thierry Schneider, father of French tennis player Vincent Thierry Schneider. This may be a great big red herring of course.

Onward!
Old 10-21-23, 09:57 AM
Chris27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I must admit I'm struggling a little with the gallery. If I click on 'Gallery' at the top of the page I'm taken to a new page where if I click on 'My Pictures' I'm taken to 'Chris27's albums'. From here I can select an album called 'Bertin?', this is where I can see the pictures of the bike I uploaded so I don't know why they can't be seen. The gallery is pretty much what Schreck83 added above.

Sorry, I know it's me, I'm doing something wrong, not sure what though?

I teach Year 6 children Bikeability (Cycling Proficiency for those of a certain age) and one of the little darlings recently called me 'Elderly' (OLD wouldn't have been too bad, but elderly!!). Never more true though than when learning how to use unfamiliar software
Old 10-21-23, 10:53 AM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 162 Posts
The Gallery is really pokey (slow to load), so a "pic assist" saves time for everyone. I think I skipped one of your front dropout photos. The wire tied spokes, too.

As a new user, you can make 5 posts per day and after 10 posts you can upload pix to a thread, send PM's, etc.

Last edited by Schreck83; 10-21-23 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-21-23, 11:10 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
very interesting bike: I'm also not sure if this is a Bertin (or even something from RonKit built by Bertin) so will watch for the input from experts.
Also curious if it turns out to be expressly for CX racing or just a frame with canti brake bosses and (yes it seem incongruous) internal TT cable routing, but one thing is the double crank MIGHT have close range tooth counts, like you'd see in a CX.
2 more thots: that 25.25 seat post size might be what a caliper says, but never seen any post with that fraction, see if it has a number stamped on the shaft. my guess is correct size will be 26.4 or thereabouts.
A frame made in this era for CX would be far more likely to be from Benelux than France and with all the FR details (Prugnat, Stronglight, Simplex) I wonder if it could be some Belgian brand?
Old 10-21-23, 11:54 AM
juvela

-----

closeup of fixed cup shows marking indicating metric thread

-----
Old 10-21-23, 04:55 PM
Chris27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,
Chainrings are 52/42, crank length 170mm
There is no number stamped on the Sakae seat post shaft. I checked the measurement again at different places and the measurement does vary a little, At the very top, where there would be little or no wear it measures 25.27mm, (0.9950 inch). Could this be an imperial seat post shaft, i.e. 1"?
Old 10-21-23, 05:14 PM
juvela

-----

a Sakae Ringyo saddle pillar would not have been original to the cycle at this era

as mentioned above one would expect frame to exhibit a saddle pillar opening size of ~26.4mm

it is likely someone has fitted a too small pillar and then pinched down the binder ears by torqueing the binder bolt in an effort to keep a too small pillar stationary

this is a frequent occurrence

-----
Old 10-21-23, 09:21 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Chris27-

I would suggest that it is not a Bertin. As mentioned Bertin typically stamped serial and frame size numbers on the non-drive side rear dropout. The older style hooked Simplex dropout would usually indicate a late 60s bike or very early 70s. That is at odds with the enclosed cable run which is an add on from the later re-spray with incorrect Peugeot decals. Bertin's cyclocross bike was a variant of the C 34 built with Durifort frameset and cantilevers. As well, the stay caps would be fluted rather than semi-wrap overs. Vitus usually stamped durifort in lower case on the fork legs, steerer and often on the down tube. If it has a numbered frameset like 971 it will show v.971 in those locations.
Likes For bertinjim:
Old 10-21-23, 10:06 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
It's an interesting quest for a Bertin. I would suggest that it looks like a Peugeot, has components of a Peugeot, and is decaled as a Peugeot... Oh well... Peugeot till proven otherwise.

As for the serial numbers, I think you need to consult that near sited trolian elf who maintains the exact production numbered data base and his personal cipher.
Old 10-22-23, 05:14 AM
Chris27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone, I think it's wonderful that people have a passion for old bicycles, just look at where the messages have come from, all around the world. I would hazard a guess that 'we' are of a similar generation, a generation that grew up looking to maintain and repair our things rather than use until failure then replace. I don't know that this disposable world is such a good thing?
Anyway, putting those thoughts to one side, I spent some time looking at the bike this morning, taking on board the previous messages. I have a Campy 26.4mm seat post and even after opening up the saddle pillar opening there's no way it was going in. I then tried the existing seat post and it was pretty loose (having opened up the saddle pillar opening). It may well be that 26.4mm is correct but that the opening has slight ovality, I don't think it would take much ovality to create a problem. I then removed more paint in areas where I thought there might be information but found none.
Everything is suggesting the bike is a 'bitza', this isn't a problem for me, it just means I won't have the bike frame and forks restored and painted professionally given I have no idea what decals to use.
Rather than take up more of people's valuable time I'll accept it for what it is. I'll get a local guy to remove the paint then I'll paint it a colour of my choice, lime green maybe (think Kawasaki). I'll then enjoy riding it having been through this lengthy bonding exercise
I looked back at the emails from when I bought the bike, September 2019, and I paid £92 for including a new and unused tubular tyre, I'd forgotten how little I paid. The guy I bought it off said he believed it had been ridden by a Thierry Schneider, father of French tennis player Vincent Thierry Schneider. I don't know of Thierry and of course I have no way of knowing if this is correct.
Anyway, thanks again everyone, it has been fun trying to solve the mystery and I will post a picture when it's ready to ride,
Best regards,
Chris.
Old 10-22-23, 06:32 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

a Sakae Ringyo saddle pillar would not have been original to the cycle at this era

as mentioned above one would expect frame to exhibit a saddle pillar opening size of ~26.4mm

it is likely someone has fitted a too small pillar and then pinched down the binder ears by torqueing the binder bolt in an effort to keep a too small pillar stationary

this is a frequent occurrence

-----
... or the frame's seat tube is plain gauge, rather than butted.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-22-23, 10:28 AM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Well unless you have original sales documents about ownership, any claims on famous or not so famous ownership are meaningless…now about the frame.

As noted in OP and confirmed by @juvela, the frame uses Prugnut 62s as found on some Bertins but these lugs are found on many other French bikes as well so no help there … the fish mouthed stay and fork ends were used by Carre including on some of his contract-Bertins but those don’t look like Carre’s work with the facet/bevel around edge of opening (one looks like a repair too). The wrap on the seat stay cap doesn’t look correct for Carre Bertin either nor other Bertins I’ve seen. Here are some photos of stay ends and willow leaf seat stay caps on my Carre…as well as the fish mouth stay ends and Carre-style willow leaf cap on my Gitane Super Corsa (umarked willow leaf caps are found on some higher-end Gitanes, LeJuenes, and Bertins, and I assume some are copies of the style rather than actual Carre-made caps). So basically I’m not sure what we have here but I’ll ponder some more 🤔

Last edited by Markeologist; 10-22-23 at 12:49 PM.
Likes For Markeologist: