Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Helicoil bigger than expected

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-23, 08:28 PM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Acquired a helicoil kit after struggling to fit a new Deore 12 speed deraileur. The bolt was refusing to selfalign for some reason. Now every time the deraileur is removed I have to clean the threads from the other side with another M10x1 bolt. The bolt still can be tightened up to 10Nm after that.
The question is does the helicoil gets smaller when it gets threaded in? Now it's about 0.5 mm bigger than necessary. Couldn't find any information about it. According to reviews the M10x1 helicoil kit should work for deraileur hangers.

Last edited by sysrq; 10-31-23 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-31-23, 08:42 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,436 Posts
Yes.

It's a spring and will shrink in and take it's diameter from the tapped hole. So, as long as you used the correct tap it will produce the right thread.

FWIW, the coils are intentionally wound loose, or oversized, so they press against the outer walls of the hole. If wound tight, they would hold on the screw and migrate as the screw is tightened.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-01-23, 07:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by sysrq
Acquired a helicoil kit after struggling to fit a new Deore 12 speed deraileur. The bolt was refusing to selfalign for some reason. Now every time the deraileur is removed I have to clean the threads from the other side with another M10x1 bolt. The bolt still can be tightened up to 10Nm after that.
Are you sure you drilled out the derailer mounting hole straight? Properly aligned drill press, hanger laying flat on the bed, etc.? Sounds like the hanger hole might be mis-aligned.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-01-23, 09:09 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 376 Posts
Oh boy....
Old 11-01-23, 12:04 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
M10 Helicoil kit... @ $35

New Derailleur hanger... @ $20

Watching as Sysrq messes up yet another simple mechanical process... Priceless.

Old 11-01-23, 12:15 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by maddog34
M10 Helicoil kit... @ $35

New Derailleur hanger... @ $20

Watching as Sysrq messes up yet another simple mechanical process... Priceless.

It's an integrated deraileur hanger. Hard to avoid any cognitive biases but current social status has only allowed to mess with DIY electronics a bit more, since electronic components are smaller then it's harder to damage them mechanically.
Old 11-01-23, 12:25 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Are you sure you drilled out the derailer mounting hole straight? Properly aligned drill press, hanger laying flat on the bed, etc.? Sounds like the hanger hole might be mis-aligned.
I haven't drilled anything yet since the original threads still can be tightened up to 10Nm, but they can strip completely at the most inconvenient time. Looks like without drill press it will be impossible to drill and tap it straight anyway. Wasn't sure if Dropout Saver is the best choice since you never know when it will start to interfere with chain or cassette, although it doesn't require the hole to be completely straight.
Old 11-01-23, 12:42 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

It's an integrated deraileur hanger. Hard to avoid any cognitive biases but current social status has only allowed to mess with DIY electronics a bit more, since electronic components are smaller then it's harder to damage them mechanically.
meh... i'll bite....nothing better to do as i wait for an appointment callback.
care to share the brand and model of the bike frame you're struggling to upgrade to 12 speed?

and i've never seen a "self aligning" der. mount bolt. They are tricky at times. so i sympathize with you on that.
there may be a problem with the thread on the der. bolt... that would explain why you're having to re-tap the hanger so often..
a lack of a clean, evenly formed, chamfer at the entrance of the hanger thread can make threading difficult too.

was the 12 sp. der. purchased as new, or used?

got a magnifying glass? look at the threads on the der. bolt VERY CAREFULLY using that magnifier..... report any defects seen to the forum.

one more question... WHY are you repeatedly Removing then re-installing the rear derailleur? When doing bike builds, and i do quite a few bike builds, i've found installing a der. once, MAYBE twice, to be sufficient.

Last edited by maddog34; 11-01-23 at 12:58 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 11-01-23, 01:17 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Unless it's really bad misalignment it should be able to be compensated for in derailleur alignment.
Old 11-01-23, 01:19 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
If the threads are sketchy, you can use a Loctite Form-A-Thread Stripped Thread Repair Kit and then restrain yourself from mounting and unmounting your derailleur constantly. By the way, how were you planning on drilling out the non-removable hanger using a drill press?
Old 11-01-23, 02:51 PM
sysrq

care to share the brand and model of the bike frame you're struggling to upgrade to 12 speed?

and i've never seen a "self aligning" der. mount bolt. They are tricky at times. so i sympathize with you on that.
there may be a problem with the thread on the der. bolt... that would explain why you're having to re-tap the hanger so often..
a lack of a clean, evenly formed, chamfer at the entrance of the hanger thread can make threading difficult too.

got a magnifying glass? look at the threads on the der. bolt VERY CAREFULLY using that magnifier..... report any defects seen to the forum.

one more question... WHY are you repeatedly Removing then re-installing the rear derailleur? When doing bike builds, and i do quite a few bike builds, i've found installing a der. once, MAYBE twice, to be sufficient.
Last time couldn't get the wheel out with skewer still attached without removing deraileur. Before that it was hard to put the pulleys back in without removing deraileur as far as I can remember.
The frame is Throrn Audax Mk3.

Last edited by sysrq; 11-01-23 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-01-23, 04:07 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
If the threads are sketchy, you can use a Loctite Form-A-Thread Stripped Thread Repair Kit and then restrain yourself from mounting and unmounting your derailleur constantly. By the way, how were you planning on drilling out the non-removable hanger using a drill press?
Ive got a Cane Creek Helm MK2 fork that I over torqued and stripped during a trailside realignment with the disc caliper. I was a bit surprised I was able to do that with a folding tool but I did.

I removed a washer and that gave me purchase on some good threads deeper in. It’s been working perfectly since.

I still know that a bunch of threads are missing and it worries me. Would this Loctite thread repair work here? It’s usually best to loosen these bolts to align the calipers then tighten. Will it hold up to that?

I figured I’d helicoil it sometime this winter but this is a totally different idea. I’m curious.
Old 11-01-23, 04:09 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Putting my 2 cents worth of experience in on this one. I have installed hanger savers about a dozen times over the years on steel frames. There is no need to worry too much about drilling the hole straight as the bit will follow the hole that already exists. When tapping the new threads into the new hole, that is where experience in handling a manual tap comes in. I personally use a drill now, but the first few taps I did it manually with a tap handle. It is not rocket science here, just a hole and a tap.
Old 11-01-23, 05:37 PM
sysrq

The frame is Thorn Audax Mk3.
Old 11-01-23, 07:20 PM
maddog34

The frame is Thorn Audax Mk3.
you answered the first question twice, failed to answer two more questions, then answered the last question..

the frame is no prize. Taiwan built out of what is most likely low grade chrome moly.. close to two kilos weight, minus the fork.

is the skewer the one you mention in another thread? the one you poured loctite onto, then couldn't get loose?
have you looked at the threads on the der. bolt with a magnifying glass yet?

tip: The "thread Drop" technique...... get the der. bolt centered on the hanger, properly aligned... turn the der. bolt counter-clockwise before threading it into the hanger... at some point, you will feel the bolt kind of Drop into place into the hanger... then begin turning it clockwise.... the "drop" is the entry ramp of the bolt thread dropping into the entry ramp of the hanger's thread... i advise practicing this method on a larger thread nut/bolt combo.. it will be easier to feel and learn, with no bad consequences.
and fine rate threads are always tricky.

I learned the Thread Drop tip watching my dad put the gas tank cap onto his 1929 Ford Model A Pickup... the 1930 Model A pickup came with a larger, much lower rate thread... The customers complained to Ford about those stupid fine threads on the '27 Model A.. it took Ford 3 years to change their bad design.. My dad later took the time to Cut the filler off that tank and replace it with a 1931 Cap/filler neck, salvaged from a wrecked car. Model A tanks filled at the Center of the area between the Engine Hood and the windshield... On hot days, you had to lean onto the hood to get to the cap.... on a Black Truck... in the Sun... with gas fumes wafting up into your face.... and then fight with those super-fine rate threads on a somewhat flexible thin walled filler neck.........

derailleur hanger bolt threads are, By Far, easier to deal with.

Last edited by maddog34; 11-01-23 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-01-23, 08:57 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Ive got a Cane Creek Helm MK2 fork that I over torqued and stripped during a trailside realignment with the disc caliper. I was a bit surprised I was able to do that with a folding tool but I did.

I removed a washer and that gave me purchase on some good threads deeper in. It’s been working perfectly since.

I still know that a bunch of threads are missing and it worries me. Would this Loctite thread repair work here? It’s usually best to loosen these bolts to align the calipers then tighten. Will it hold up to that?

I figured I’d helicoil it sometime this winter but this is a totally different idea. I’m curious.
It’s always worth a try however with smaller threads it may not work well.
Old 11-01-23, 11:34 PM
sysrq

you answered the first question twice, failed to answer two more questions, then answered the last question..

the frame is no prize. Taiwan built out of what is most likely low grade chrome moly.. close to two kilos weight, minus the fork.

is the skewer the one you mention in another thread? the one you poured loctite onto, then couldn't get loose?
have you looked at the threads on the der. bolt with a magnifying glass yet?

tip: The "thread Drop" technique...... get the der. bolt centered on the hanger, properly aligned... turn the der. bolt counter-clockwise before threading it into the hanger... at some point, you will feel the bolt kind of Drop into place into the hanger... then begin turning it clockwise.... the "drop" is the entry ramp of the bolt thread dropping into the entry ramp of the hanger's thread... i advise practicing this method on a larger thread nut/bolt combo.. it will be easier to feel and learn, with no bad consequences.
and fine rate threads are always tricky.

I learned the Thread Drop tip watching my dad put the gas tank cap onto his 1929 Ford Model A Pickup... the 1930 Model A pickup came with a larger, much lower rate thread... The customers complained to Ford about those stupid fine threads on the '27 Model A.. it took Ford 3 years to change their bad design.. My dad later took the time to Cut the filler off that tank and replace it with a 1931 Cap/filler neck, salvaged from a wrecked car. Model A tanks filled at the Center of the area between the Engine Hood and the windshield... On hot days, you had to lean onto the hood to get to the cap.... on a Black Truck... in the Sun... with gas fumes wafting up into your face.... and then fight with those super-fine rate threads on a somewhat flexible thin walled filler neck.........

derailleur hanger bolt threads are, By Far, easier to deal with.
The Dropout Saver might actually work better since the dropout slot part is thicker than the rest on Thorn Audax Mk3 frame leaving a lot of clearance around cassette lockring. On the other hand if the hole diameter required for Dropout saver is bigger than helicoil then it might take out too much material, so helicoil might be safer.
The Thorn Audax Mk3 was advertised as being heat treated and as good as Raynolds frame.
They probably found a way how to make a better profit.
Old 11-02-23, 01:55 AM
maddog34

The Dropout Saver might actually work better since the dropout slot part is thicker than the rest on Thorn Audax Mk3 frame leaving a lot of clearance around cassette lockring. On the other hand if the hole diameter required for Dropout saver is bigger than helicoil then it might take out too much material, so helicoil might be safer.
The Thorn Audax Mk3 was advertised as being heat treated and as good as Raynolds frame.
They probably found a way how to make a better profit.
use one of these... i have... it will require a 15/32 drill bit, if i recall correctly. you'll want to check on that specification..... they work great.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18536650788...acd6b7f423c255

SMH.... i'm out... NEXT!

Last edited by maddog34; 11-02-23 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-02-23, 05:49 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
use one of these... i have... it will require a 15/32 drill bit, if i recall correctly. you'll want to check on that specification..... they work great.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18536650788...acd6b7f423c255

SMH.... i'm out... NEXT!
A good LBS should have one in stock rather than getting one shipped from eastern europe.

​​​​​​https://wheelsmfg.com/presses-tools/dropout-savers.html
Old 11-02-23, 06:15 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
I haven't drilled anything yet since the original threads still can be tightened up to 10Nm, but they can strip completely at the most inconvenient time.
So you ran an M10x1 Helicoil into an M10x1-threaded hole that still has viable threads innit and you expect the Helicoil to accept the original M10x1 bolt?

If so, it won't - trust me on this. Helicoils are intended to be installed in a smooth-sided bore of a diameter indicated on the packaging they came in. M10x1 'coil needs a 10.25mm hole for aluminum, magnesium, steel and plastic for proper installation.

You could use an X (10.0838mm so will be tight!) or a Y drill (10.2616mm dia.) as a 10.25mm bit might be tough to find. McMaster has 10.2mm for ~ US $27 (shipped) which ought to work OK if you're careful doing the job.

Or have I missed something?
Likes For spclark:
Old 11-02-23, 12:31 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by spclark
So you ran an M10x1 Helicoil into an M10x1-threaded hole that still has viable threads innit and you expect the Helicoil to accept the original M10x1 bolt?

If so, it won't - trust me on this. Helicoils are intended to be installed in a smooth-sided bore of a diameter indicated on the packaging they came in. M10x1 'coil needs a 10.25mm hole for aluminum, magnesium, steel and plastic for proper installation.

You could use an X (10.0838mm so will be tight!) or a Y drill (10.2616mm dia.) as a 10.25mm bit might be tough to find. McMaster has 10.2mm for ~ US $27 (shipped) which ought to work OK if you're careful doing the job.

Or have I missed something?
yep... you missed the fact that a helicoil was installed and used several times....and also chased with a 10x1mm tap.

i've bought multiple High end Reynolds and Columbus Frames for less than Sysrq has spent on that stripped hanger thread in his basic taiwan built chrome moly frame....

Last edited by maddog34; 11-02-23 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-02-23, 12:49 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by dedhed
A good LBS should have one in stock rather than getting one shipped from eastern europe.

​​​​​​https://wheelsmfg.com/presses-tools/dropout-savers.html
yah, but the "local shop" doesn't advertise on ebay... it's my go-to "quickly find and post an example of a product" site....

and actually... i found yet another overpriced widget i can make... and still make a decent profit on, at around half the price..
Old 11-02-23, 02:00 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
It’s always worth a try however with smaller threads it may not work well.
Thats a possibility.

That loctite kit is $35-$42 depending on the source.

A helicoil kit is $15 to $45 depending on the brand.

I think the advantage of the goop kit must be simplicity. And if it doesn’t work, I could try again.

I’d wager that the helicoil is substantially stronger and more permanent. I’d have to drill out the remaining threads and if I did it wrong, I don’t know where that would leave me. Which is a pretty big disadvantage.

Its amazing how fruitless online searches for the effectiveness of this stuff are. Maybe one test, that puts it even with JB Weld. 2 or 3 people who left a positive review if used in a hole with some good threads left. Very little else.

Thats why I asked.
Old 11-02-23, 02:31 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Thats a possibility.

I think the advantage of the goop kit must be simplicity. And if it doesn’t work, I could try again.

I’d wager that the helicoil is substantially stronger and more permanent. I’d have to drill out the remaining threads and if I did it wrong, I don’t know where that would leave me. Which is a pretty big disadvantage.

Its amazing how fruitless online searches for the effectiveness of this stuff are. Maybe one test, that puts it even with JB Weld. 2 or 3 people who left a positive review if used in a hole with some good threads left. Very little else.

Thats why I asked.
I have used it numerous times in the past with good results. From a pair of skis, through-axle on a bike and during a car restoration. In your case use a helicoil.
Old 11-02-23, 03:25 PM
maddog34

Thats a possibility.

Thats why I asked.
don't bother... it's for deep, blind, coarse thread holes, and is only marginally effective on those..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.