Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flat: what would you do?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 07:35 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts

We've already broken into the February or March postings, so perhaps this semi-serious question will be treated nicely.

I had a flat a couple days ago. Found a glass shard near the stem, pulled it out, and ran my thumb around the inside of the tire to make sure there was nothing else in there. Replaced the tube and pumped it up, and rode home. Everything was copacetic.

Until...

Checked the tube last night, and the leak was nowhere near the stem. As a matter of fact, it was almost diametrically opposite to the stem. Looked like a Michelin wire puncture, but I checked the tire and couldn't find anything.

So, in that situation, what would you do?

A. Cross your fingers, hope it was a wire that fell or was pulled back out of the tire, and keep riding.

B. Pull the wheel, take the tire off and do a detailed search for the cause of that flat.

Actually, what I'm doing now is:

C. Ride a different bike.

But I know I'll want to pull the original bike out after a mechanical, a flat in the morning before commuting, or some other reason. So I'm left wondering what the Smart Thing would be.
Old 12-13-23, 08:08 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
B. But use a cotton ball to help find the offending piece of wire.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-13-23, 08:15 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
As long as the tire hasn't been rotated from its original position when you had the flats, it should be fairly easy to determine if something is still in the tire that caused the flats by just lining up the tube puncture to the tire. Sometimes whatever caused a flat is no longer in the tire and nothing to worry about. Don't overthink it.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 12-13-23, 08:29 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
with flats that close in time for failure, I would base the decision on how old or worn the tire is. If it has a bit of miles on it, new tire & new sealant. Save the old one to see if it'll be a good indoor trainer candidate.
Old 12-13-23, 08:44 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Commuter bike: cursory search, then just ride.
Rando bike: find the cause or replace the tire. Possibly move said tire to commuter bike.

OTOH if I have a boring rainy weekend, I might be inclined to remove the tire and spend a day in the garage with some tunes on searching for the offending item.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-13-23, 08:59 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Commuter bike: cursory search, then just ride.
Rando bike: find the cause or replace the tire. Possibly move said tire to commuter bike.
A lower standard of reliability for a commuter bike? That seems... backwards to me.
I'm a dentist who commutes by bike. I want my commuter bike to be darned near bullet-proof. On a recreational ride, a flat is less of a concern.
Old 12-13-23, 09:06 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Apart from changing another bike over to tubeless?

I would assume the ride home had been a successful test.

p.s. “copacetic” - chapeau.
Likes For choddo:
Old 12-13-23, 09:07 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by Troul
with flats that close in time for failure, I would base the decision on how old or worn the tire is. If it has a bit of miles on it, new tire & new sealant. Save the old one to see if it'll be a good indoor trainer candidate.
There was only one puncture. Its cause was misdiagnosed.
Old 12-13-23, 09:57 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by choddo
i read it as they had an initial flat by the stem, then a mysterious flat later pop* up in another areas not near the initial one. Chasing flats is not something I'd leave up to a guessing process. Replacing the entire tire & later thumb over the old tire in a better environment would be my approach ymmv.
Old 12-13-23, 09:58 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
A lower standard of reliability for a commuter bike? That seems... backwards to me.
I'm a dentist who commutes by bike. I want my commuter bike to be darned near bullet-proof. On a recreational ride, a flat is less of a concern.
My morning commute is 3.5 miles and 300' downhill. I can switch a tube, walk, or catch a bus that comes every 20 minutes. Of course I want reliable, but even a catastrophic failure is no big deal.

On my rando bike, I might be 50 miles from anything, much further from home, somewhere I've never been.
Old 12-13-23, 11:02 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
...Pull the wheel, take the tire off and do a detailed search for the cause of that flat.
Get to it Stud!
Old 12-14-23, 12:21 AM
choddo

i read it as they had an initial flat by the stem, then a mysterious flat later pop* up in another areas not near the initial one. Chasing flats is not something I'd leave up to a guessing process. Replacing the entire tire & later thumb over the old tire in a better environment would be my approach ymmv.
Not sure what you mean, cos he’s already at home in this scenario and can check the tyre properly without replacing it first - you’d replace the tyre out on the road?
Old 12-14-23, 01:29 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
Me too this week. Damn no-see-um- no-find-um, little wire somewhere. I'd whack it down with a hammer if I find it. Now I have 2 tubes with a hole. The tire is old but only recently been used.
I've wrecked a couple SMP tires picking at the wire with tweezers. Nipped a couple threads and the whole tire bulged.
Old 12-14-23, 07:21 AM
Troul 

Not sure what you mean, cos he’s already at home in this scenario and can check the tyre properly without replacing it first - you’d replace the tyre out on the road?
negative.
imo, you're reading my posts inaccurately.
Old 12-14-23, 07:30 AM
choddo

negative.
imo, you're reading my posts inaccurately.
well that’s why I said I’m not sure what you mean.

So you’d replace the tyre … somewhere … and then properly check the old tyre somewhere else?
Old 12-14-23, 07:46 AM
Troul 

well that’s why I said I’m not sure what you mean.

So you’d replace the tyre … somewhere … and then properly check the old tyre somewhere else?
So replace the tire… at my convenience before the next ride… and then properly check the old tire at my convenience in an area that best makes sense.

Worded to hopefully make it clear...
Old 12-14-23, 07:53 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
B. Pull the wheel, take the tire off and do a detailed search for the cause of that flat.

My anxieties if I didn't would ruin every ride, just waiting for the inevitable...
Old 12-14-23, 08:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Right. One of the few times I've found the "cause" of a flat before I took the tire off, and wouldn't you know, the one flat didn't even happen there!

I'm with downtube42 on the commute thing -- I'm normally within walking distance of a light or shelter on my commute. Rando? No idea how far down that country road I'd have to go to be able to see what I'm doing, and with my luck, the helmet light battery is about to run down.

I didn't emphasize the possibility of never finding a wire if I go back and look some more. But I think I'd be happy for my unexpired tetanus vaccine since I'd probably have a healing scratch right now if the wire was still in there.
Old 12-14-23, 08:39 AM
1979schwinn 

Bikes: 79 Schwinn & 2017 Fuji Tread 2.0

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Use a dryer sheet, rub inside tire and tube.,
Old 12-14-23, 08:57 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Ugh.
I would go with B.

I've done D a few times (D: the leak is slow enough so that I can pump up my tire before the ride and finish the ride with enough air in the tire), but eventually the hole will enlarge enough that you will no longer be able to make it through a ride. So I, personally, would probably go with D for a few days until I hit a weekend where I can take the time for B.

Finding the wire, assuming that's what it is, can be really, really hard - often they're impossible to find on the road. I've not had success with the cotton ball method, because the inside of my tires are usually rough enough to snag on a cotton ball even without a foreign object. What's worked for me is to localize the area of the tire that I want to examine, turn the tire inside out and spread the casing by pulling at it and look closely with a strong light. I'm nearsighted, so I can get really close to the tire, but if you have trouble focusing at close range then a magnifying glass might be useful.
Old 12-14-23, 09:08 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
+1 In fact I rode reliable training tubulars for years commuting because 1) the guaranteed 5 minute tire change and 2) whatever caused that flat was no longer on the wheel.

Now, if possible, I patch tubes. $$s and eco, yes but primarily for the excellent, durable record of where the flats were. Tires always go on with labels at the valve. When patches overlap, bingo! I know there that issue is!
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-14-23, 09:26 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

It would be pretty awkward for me to arrive late for a patient and have dirty hands!
Likes For sweeks:
Old 12-14-23, 09:52 AM
Troul 

It would be pretty awkward for me to arrive late for a patient and have dirty hands!
not like they can cancel the appt for free. Fee for that. No worries for you!
Old 12-14-23, 09:58 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
sounds like the OP is all set. flat fixed. move on

the OP didn't say what they were gonna do w/ the old tube. I'd be inclined to patch it & test it
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-14-23, 10:36 AM
sweeks

not like they can cancel the appt for free. Fee for that. No worries for you!
I don't do that (charge for missed appointments). Happens rarely, and then I get a coffee break!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.