Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing a stripped out crank arm fixing or pressure bolt

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 06:20 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts

Anyone have any suggestions how you might remove a stripped out non drive side crank arm fixing or pressure bolt. I was surprised at just how easily the aluminum hex hole stripped out. I need to get it off so I can remove the crank to get to the bottom bracket. As always, thank you for your input.

Old 01-06-24, 06:25 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 3,757 Times in 1,842 Posts
carefully make a slot with a dremel or even drill bit and then use a flat head screwdriver bit to unscrew
Old 01-06-24, 06:51 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
Drill or punch two holes in it and use a pin spanner or needle nose.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 01-07-24, 08:55 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
I have to ask. Did you undo the spindle clamp bolts first? Might come out easy if the bolts are loosened up or not at all if they are tight.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 01-07-24, 11:33 AM
robow

Unfortunately loosening those pinch bolts didn't help before. Do you think if you mixed up some JB Weld epoxy and took a bolt with a hex head and coated beneath the head and just inside the hole and on the upper bolt shank that when it cured the bolt might hold well enough to put a socket on the thing ?
Old 01-07-24, 11:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Have you googled up the installation/removal instructions for that model of crank? The pn is usually on the backside of the arm. Many times around the pedal hole.

It might be good to know which direction that cap needs to spin to loosen. They don't look like self extracting cranks, but if they were, the cap normally threads opposite of the crank bolts. And the fact it has a pinch bolt tends to indicate it's not self extracting because with a pinch bolt they usually pull easy enough with a tap in the right place or just a careful pry with a large screwdriver or tool made for the purpose.

I might just find a torx bit that is just a size or two bigger than the buggered up hole in the cap and drive it in there and then try to loosen the cap. However if you are wanting to keep it to reuse, I favor drilling the two little holes in it and using a pin spanner.

But give the cap a few good whacks with a mallet first before doing anything. Then go ahead with whatever plans you have for removing it. But make sure you know which direction is loosening it.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-07-24 at 11:59 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-07-24, 12:10 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Sugino non drive side crank arm fixing or pressure bolt... Cost?

I think this one is buggered up. Maybe you should get a replacement bolt first. That will tel ya allot about its threading and installation.

I would dig around in my old mismatched and odd tools bin and find an Allen wrench of the appropriate size then hammer it into the hole for removal. Just a thought...

Last edited by zandoval; 01-07-24 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-07-24, 02:44 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Do you think if you mixed up some JB Weld epoxy and took a bolt with a hex head and coated beneath the head and just inside the hole and on the upper bolt shank that when it cured the bolt might hold well enough to put a socket on the thing ?
I wouldn't waste your time with the JB Weld in this case. If the nut is really stuck on there good the JB won't hold. Use some of the other recommendations mentioned such as trying a torx bit, cutting a slot in it or drilling some holes. Drip some penetrant on it too and let sit for at least a day which may help.
Old 01-07-24, 04:00 PM
redshift1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
If that is just a cap and unscrews anti-clockwise ( i.e. is a "normal" R.H. thread ), you could just try screwing in an appropriately sized 'Ezy-out" ( which for their usual use, are anything but easy... )

Likes For redshift1:
Old 01-07-24, 04:38 PM
robow

I tried an extracting bolt but the aluminum is too soft and it just won't grab enough, wallows hole out more so. Yes, the fixing bolt is shot and I know that I will need to drop at least $25 for a new Sugino one unless I can get a generic that would fit. It's not easy to drill a second hole to use a spanner or to put a second bolt in to allow for a screw driver for leverage without getting into the crank arm itself underneath or the threaded spindle that is attached to the drive side crank. I also tried a 1/4" hex headed fully threaded bolt thru there coming in from the drive side but still didn't move and I broke the head off of a stainless bolt with so much pressure. Ha This thing is really seized, I built the bike 10 years ago and it has almost right at 17,000 miles on it. I may just have to keep drilling it out gently, little by little to see if I can crack the wall without hopefully buggering up the threads on the crank's spindle. I really appreciate all the ideas.

Last edited by robow; 01-08-24 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-08-24, 04:09 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 383 Posts
I used an extractor (like the ones pictured) with an electric impact wrench on my friend's crank bolt.. One "blip" and it was out.

Last edited by gearbasher; 01-08-24 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-08-24, 10:51 AM
robow

Well I finally got that son of a b#### out of there. Had to do what some suggested and that was, take a Dremel and put a slice through that hole wide enough that I could hammer a flat bladed screw driver up in the thing and then placing a crescent wrench on the shaft near the handle to finally to get it to turn. It wasn't one of those things that once you break it free it comes right out, oh no, it was pain unto the end. Thanks guys.
Likes For robow: