Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are hip packs for road cycling?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-24, 09:46 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts

I’ve been going back and forth for a while now, trying to decide what’s the best solution. I don’t carry that much, but I’m gonna have to carry a couple sandwiches on long rides. Eating out is too expensive these days.

I have tired larger saddle bags and don’t like them much, I can feel my legs hit them.

I have a camelback and it’s okay but can get irritating and when you’re sweating, it’s hot.

front bar bags? Or do they affect your stirring?

cycling jerseys would be perfect due to their pockets but they’re uncomfortable.

So I’m running out of ideas. For some reason only mountain bikers use hip packs.
Old 03-16-24, 09:59 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
I’ve been going back and forth for a while now, trying to decide what’s the best solution. I don’t carry that much, but I’m gonna have to carry a couple sandwiches on long rides. Eating out is too expensive these days.

I have tired larger saddle bags and don’t like them much, I can feel my legs hit them.

I have a camelback and it’s okay but can get irritating and when you’re sweating, it’s hot.

front bar bags? Or do they affect your stirring?

cycling jerseys would be perfect due to their pockets but they’re uncomfortable.

So I’m running out of ideas. For some reason only mountain bikers use hip packs.
I've used a hip bag in the past, but now use a frame bag when I want to take more than will fit in jersey pockets.
Likes For Random11:
Old 03-16-24, 10:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Buck the trend by using whatever works for you. What does it matter IF MTB-ers only use hip packs?
Old 03-16-24, 11:42 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Do it, you may re-hash an old trend.
Plus there are packs with water bottle holders, they can be waterproof and a good place to keep your valuables, including cell phone, camera, etc
I find the hip packs much more convenient than jersey back pockets.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 03-17-24, 01:00 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Frame bag (front triangle), handlebar bag, fanny pack (hip bag), jersey pocket, would be my order of preference. I'll rock a saddle bag for pure off-road riding or when I need to carry a third bottle, but otherwise it's not an option due to my rear radar light.

If you're specifically trying to fit a sandwich then handlebar bag or hip back would be my suggestion due to form factor.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-17-24, 05:43 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Buck the trend by using whatever works for you. What does it matter IF MTB-ers only use hip packs?
I’ve been an ornery old trend buckler for 90% of my life and I use a hip pack on every ride. With 22 bicycles, most of them in rotation, I need one plan for carrying valuables. The same thing every time. So I have one tool kit and one belt pack. Pack holds phone, license, credit card, ICE card, trail mix. Grab that and away I go. With that and the tool roll, I never forget the essentials. I also still have that belt pack whenever I separate from the bicycle, either for bio break, store visit or by misadventure.

I don’t care what the cool kids think.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 03-17-24, 05:48 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Try it out. I run my camelback on all types of riding for the same reason. Don't need to worry if this seat bag has what it needs, or buying 10+tubes/patch kits. I think the hip pack came out due to people wanting something different instead of a camelback, and the weight is lower which is better for almost all aspects. Only downside is maximum carrying capacity.
Old 03-17-24, 05:50 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
When you say 'hip pack' do you mean 'fanny pack'? I use one to carry my stuff since I rotate between three bicycles. All of them have the same size 700c tires so I don't need to switch seatbags each time I decide I want to take a different bike, just grab the fanny pack and go.

No, a handlebar bag doesn't affect my stirring as I like my drinks shaken.

Last edited by skidder; 03-17-24 at 06:58 AM.
Likes For skidder:
Old 03-17-24, 07:22 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
A couple of sandwiches could really go anywhere, especially because you can separate them and put them into different configurations. I would try what I had because buying more equipment would kind of defeat the point of packing the sandwiches.
Old 03-17-24, 08:09 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
... larger saddle bags ... camelback ... front bar bags ... cycling jerseys ... hip packs.
I used to use a small "fanny pack". In a smaller size, it's appropriate for a small sandwich or two, a small bag of trail mix, a flat kit. If I couldn't find the comfort, there's always a small frame bag or off-the-bars bag, or an under-saddle bag. So long as on the smaller side of things, and so long as not heavily loaded, I can't imagine any of these causing me to notice the weight. The only one of these three that's impact comfort would, of course, be the fanny pack.

I suppose there's a chest rig. But then if you feel that pocketed cycling jerseys are uncomfortable then I can't imagine you'd like a chest pack, given the straps to hold it to your upper body.

In your situation, given your preferences, I'd probably try a small bag either underneath the saddle or hanging off the bars/HT. Either can be small enough to not notice, IMO.
Old 03-17-24, 08:53 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
I have two MountainSmith bags. The smaller would work well for this. It was my daily carry for almost thirty years of trucking.

I haven't carried it on bike (that I recall), but am encouraged to by this thread.

thanks.
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 03-17-24, 09:00 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
I carry a fanny pack often. I like that I can rotate it around my waist to find the most comfortable position cycling. As long as you aren't loading it too bulky or heavy it's great. I don't like the larger packs, only smaller ones. I don't concern myself about what brand or it's intended purpose. I actually find most of mine at thrift stores. I also like that I can attach one to a rear rack quite easily if I am riding one of my bikes with racks.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 03-17-24, 09:01 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
I have a third kidney that I like to plug into on longer rides, and a hip pack enables me to keep it centrally located and nearer to body temperature. Plus, when I dismount, the bag/kidney comes with me, unlike elaborate bike-packing gear, that remains on the bike frame. Now, if I had a truly wireless/tubeless kidney, that would be another story.

PS: Welcome back.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-17-24, 09:11 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I have a sweet old Rhode Gear fanny pack that holds a whole heck of a lot of stuff. The main compartment easily holds a lunch, the top compartment expands and can easily hold a shirt, and then there are two leather straps that hang from the bottom of the pack that I use to hold sandals or a light pair of running shoes. I use it all the time. Fanny packs are sweet!
Old 03-17-24, 09:37 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Calling it a hip pack makes it a little more hip!
I dunno...years ago when I tried one (a fanny pack!) for a couple rides, it bugged me. Dork factor, too.
Jersey pockets work great for me - even for larger items, since the lycra stretches.
With a rear rack & panniers, that sounds like a ready solution for you.
Heck, just find a way to move the bags rearward to keep them from interfering with your pedaling.
Or ditch the bags altogether and bungee a small canvas bag on top of your rack.

Last edited by roadcrankr; 03-17-24 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-17-24, 12:57 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Have a couple I use--smaller for just the basics and a larger one with a bottle pocket in the center.
Generally prefer that to a backpack (sweaty) or mounting luggage to the bike, especially when rotating among bikes, where I can lose track of which tools and tubes are on what one.
For bikes with two bottle cages, one bottle can hold the essential bits and I skip the pack. This becomes less attractive in mid summer.
No harm giving it a try.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 03-17-24, 02:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I have a third kidney that I like to plug into on longer rides, and a hip pack enables me to keep it centrally located and nearer to body temperature. Plus, when I dismount, the bag/kidney comes with me, unlike elaborate bike-packing gear, that remains on the bike frame. Now, if I had a truly wireless/tubeless kidney, that would be another story.

PS: Welcome back.
What is the best third kidney lube?
Old 03-17-24, 06:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Yes they are, if you want to use one.
No they aren't, if you dislike em.

Seems like a pretty simple issue to resolve as the answer is personal.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-17-24, 06:45 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
You didn't say what type of bike you have, but I vote for a front handlebar bag. Specifically the type that has a rigid mount that clamps on the handlebar, and has a disconnect clip so you can easily take the bag with you:
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 03-17-24, 09:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts

Purpose made cycling fanny pack

Far larger hiking fanny pack with water bottle holders added.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-17-24, 11:55 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
I really like the idea of hip packs and I gave them a red hot go, but I found that the strap around my middle made it hard to get my hand down the front of my shorts to do a little bit of crucial reorganisation whenever it became necessary. In fact, I didn't know how much reorganisation had to be done until I started wearing hip packs. I don't wear them any more.
Old 03-18-24, 05:37 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Not for me. The hip belt would bug me in a lower position. I prefer not to have anything around my waist - one of the major reasons I prefer bibs to shorts. I'd rather use a bag (handlebar, frame, trunk bag) or jersey pockets (you don't say why you find cycling jerseys uncomfortable).

But, you do you. If it works for you then fine. If you ride in an upright position, maybe the belt digging into your waist when in a more aero position isn't an issue.
Old 03-18-24, 05:56 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts

I use “comfortable” cycling jerseys. But if that isn’t an option, then I would probably go with a small top tube frame bag. A few of my friends use them for long rides to carry their food. I think a hip bag would just annoy me while riding, but I’ve never tried one. I can understand mountain bikers choosing them over backpacks or frame bags, but I don’t see the same benefits for road cycling where your bike is hopefully not bouncing around over roots and rocks!
Old 03-18-24, 06:46 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Jerseys are uncomfortable ? Define "jersey", as there are so endless various shapes and sizes of them. I'm not fond of many jersey's myself mostly because of the colors, fit and I'm very particular as to the weave of the fabric.

Otherwise Revelate has some small bags that might work for you. https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...atalog/cockpit

And the Shrew saddle bag, it mounts to the rails only, so it doesn't have the third seatpost fixing point and doesn't rest against the post. Too big for just sandwiches though ! For stability it replies on the user snugging it up very tightly against the bottom of the saddle. I have one, as long as it's fairly full and I tighten it up very tightly, my legs won't hit it, though I must admit I'm always looking back and checking. I hate bags that hit my legs also, with a passion. https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...eat-Bags/Shrew

You can also fit certain size/shape saddle bag into standard water bottle cages. I do this with a .75L Timbuk 2 saddle bag, placed in backwards. The taper design makes it fit right in to a regular type cage. It would be enough for sandwiches if you cut them up to fit in. If you need extra cages, they make saddle rail mounts for behind the saddle bottle cages.

Also, a very small bar bag wouldn't effect steering, and I mean SMALL, as in a liter max. Like this which is bar mountable. 8"x3.75", 77g https://www.bedrockbags.com/gear/p/honaker
Old 03-18-24, 07:01 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
I wore one for a week cycling in Spain. Carried camera gear. Worked great. But I have to avoid overloading it.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.