Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grant Petersen: He Was Right (Again)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Grant Petersen: He Was Right (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 06:14 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Those GM seeds have nothing to do with the old fashioned chemical being applied to them.
It's the reason those seeds were created.
Old 01-07-19, 07:45 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by balut bandit

Citing a quack like Hari does not lend credibility to your tin foil hat claims.
Citing Vani Hari explains perfectly the truth of political corruption that does not allow GMO'S to be labeled in America, when many other countries require it to be labeled. Any fair minded reader can click on the link https://foodbabe.com/the-united-stat...s-in-the-dark/
and see a delegate engage with political leaders or can see your denial of the well know issue.

https://foodbabe.com/the-united-stat...s-in-the-dark/
Old 01-07-19, 07:53 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
It's the reason those seeds were created.
Sigh...

In a sense yes, as the alternative is to spraying Glyphosphates (Roundup) indiscriminately all over an area hoping to control a few weeds but cover every plant, animal, insect and patch of dirt it hits. Some of it is absorbed by the target weed but most contaminates the environment and runs off into water tables etc... This is very commonly done on lawns and kids then run through herbicide treated grass and get it on their feet/clothes. Such use and it's accumulated toxicity concerns have led to it being banned in some regions.

So, that is the good old pre GMO days for you.
Old 01-07-19, 07:59 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Gconan
Citing Vani Hari explains perfectly the truth of political corruption that does not allow GMO'S to be labeled in America, when many other countries require it to be labeled. Any fair minded reader can click on the link https://foodbabe.com/the-united-stat...s-in-the-dark/
and see a delegate engage with political leaders or can see your denial of the well know issue.

Part of non labeling has to do with not indicating imaginary concerns on a label. They also don't note whether foods are grown by artificial light compared to organic sunshine.
I think they should as I believe LED's to be alien technology designed to enslave us to dark Martian overlords...
Old 01-07-19, 08:00 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts

In a sense yes .
So the seeds in fact have everything to do with "the old fashioned chemical being applied to them."

sigh
Old 01-07-19, 08:04 PM
balut bandit
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where's my cheque? I want to buy GP's book.
Check your email (will need to use secret decoder v45.2 issued 12.25.18). The Pentaverate switched from Shill Checks to electronic deposit on 1.1.19.
Old 01-07-19, 08:10 PM
Gconan

Ughh... Just a brief look at the authoritative websites you quote shows where you get your info from.

The "Institute for Responsible Technology" was created on the internet in 2003 by author and self proclaimed GMO expert Jeffrey Smith. That's it - he's the institute.
Did you look at his references with concerns of harm being done by GMO foods? That is why he was cited. It provided answers to your specific question, of what is definitely wrong with GMO soy. Did you not like the answer?
https://responsibletechnology.org/gm.../health-risks/

"foodbabe" (that inspires confidence whenever someone uses babe to describe scientific work) describes herself as such:

My name is Vani Hari, but I’m now better known as “The Food Babe.” For most of my life, I ate anything I wanted. I was a candy addict, drank soda, never ate green vegetables, frequented fast-food restaurants and ate an abundance of processed food... I used my new found inspiration for living a healthy life to drive my energy into investigating what is really in our food... I didn’t go to nutrition school to learn this. I had to teach myself everything... I was no longer confused by lengthy food labels...

the more I learned and the more lessons I put into action, the better I felt and wanted to tell everyone about it!
She was cited to show the political corruption that has denied the right of Americans to know if the are eating GMO's or not. Many Americans wanted GMO's labeled but Big Agriculture does not. They do not think we have the right to know whether we are eating GMO's or not. Or do you like the other poster deny that was/is an issue? Any fair minded reader can click on the link and see whether it is tin foil or not. It is an excellent link for this serious issue whether you are aware of it or not.

Old 01-07-19, 08:13 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Yeah, this thread took a turn I wasn't expecting.

Grant was right however about a few things:
  • Wide Tires
  • Flared Handlebars
  • Bacon
  • The RB-1
Just about all of the MB's prior to suspension were awesome too. Oddly enough, he now claims they ride horribly. :-/

His XO was oddly prescient as well, despite many (well founded) claims that he was a "retro-grouch."
Old 01-07-19, 08:31 PM
Gconan

Part of non labeling has to do with not indicating imaginary concerns on a label.
They are not imaginary. We, as Americans should have the right to know. Europe and many other countries have the right to know. Men and women did not evolve or grow eating GMO's. We do not know what consequences it may cause. It has NOT been proven safe. Everyone on this board who is 50+ will remember how the news quoted people, even US senators saying smoking was not proved harmful. We all know how that worked out.
They also don't note whether foods are grown by artificial light compared to organic sunshine.
This has nothing to do whether Genetically Modified Organisms are harmful or not.
I think they should as I believe LED's to be alien technology designed to enslave us to dark Martian overlords...

Last edited by Gconan; 01-07-19 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 09:48 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
They are not imaginary. We, as Americans should have the right to know. Europe and many other countries have the right to know. Men and women did not evolve or grow eating GMO's. We do not know what consequences it may cause. It has NOT been proven safe. Everyone on this board who is 50+ will remember how the news quoted people, even US senators saying smoking was not proved harmful. We all know how that worked out.

This has nothing to do whether Genetically Modified Organisms are harmful or not.
I would be careful what you say on here.
Old 01-07-19, 09:54 PM
Happy Feet

Humans also did not evolve using microwave ovens or drinking Starbucks coffee.

Ps. Make no mistake - we are taking names and creating data bases.
Old 01-08-19, 12:25 AM
willibrord

Humans also did not evolve using microwave ovens or drinking Starbucks coffee.

Ps. Make no mistake - we are taking names and creating data bases.
You may jest, but Big Biotech is known for monitoring its opponents and harrassing them, see Tyrone Hays.
Old 01-08-19, 08:30 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Humans also did not evolve
Quoted for truth. ****
Old 01-08-19, 08:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
I defy anyone to tell me what anti-GMO quackery/conspiracy theorizing has to do with general cycling.

I love eating high-gluten GM wheat, and so does the other head growing out of my neck.
Old 01-08-19, 09:19 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,495 Posts
I've started reading the book. It's a somewhat radical theory, so it's hard for me to swallow.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-08-19, 09:55 AM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by willibrord
You may jest, but Big Biotech is known for monitoring its opponents and harrassing them, see Tyrone Hays.
I'm not sure how the leap gets made from a scientist publishing peer reviewed research against a herbicide and then participating in a multi million dollar lawsuit against it and a person participating on a bicycle forum but what the heck. It's good conspiracy fodder.

I know this debate won't be resolved, but throughout my life I have been haunted by the personal responsibility inherent in this quote:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Only, in this case I would insert uninformed and informed in the place of evil and good.

I don't really care what other people eat or don't eat but large groups fueled by righteous certainty and little science tend to wind up burning innocent witches more often than not.
Old 01-08-19, 10:22 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
A summary of issues surrounding Roundup use by those witch-burning crazies at Newsweek:

https://www.newsweek.com/glyphosate-...al-ever-422419

They don't go in to enough detail to note that it is sprayed on wheat just before harvest to dry the plants out for easier harvest.
Old 01-08-19, 10:36 AM
Happy Feet

Yes. Overuse of Roundup is a concern. The crazy part is when people want to ban gmo's outright, throwing the good out with the bad, rather than just deal with the issue at hand.

Overuse of antibiotics is also an issue but where would we be if they were banned in the early 1900's?

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-08-19 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-08-19, 10:49 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I've started reading the book. It's a somewhat radical theory, so it's hard for me to swallow.
I gave it a fair shake, new experiences, and everything.

The idea of a ketogenic diet isn't new, and it did work for me, in that I found it easy to eat, be satisfied, and still lose weight...but is was unsustainable for me, in the end. I have taken away from it a renewed appreciation for how hard it is to find easy to transport/eat snacks that aren't terrible for you (or really, sustaining ketosis). When I'm not riding due to health issues, this really hits home. I would love to dive into the 3+ pounds of candy that are still sitting around here from the holidays, but I've come to realize that those calories really don't do much to sate me anymore.

I'm thinking I'll give it another try and see if it sticks. I just got a new fitness watch, so it is easier now for me to count calories in/out than it was when I initially tried it. Things that will definitely have to change: the amount of time I spend working/riding a bike vs sleeping. I envision the same problem arising that did before: someone in the house decides to go on a carb bender, and suddenly, there's nothing in the house but bread, rice, pasta, chips, etc...
Old 01-08-19, 10:53 AM
willibrord

Yes. Overuse of Roundup is a concern. The crazy part is when people want to ban gmo's outright, throwing the good out with the bad, rather than just deal with the issue at hand.

Overuse of antibiotics is also an issue but where would we be if they were banned in the early 1900's?
Maladies like cancer, auto immune diseases, autism are sky rocketing and GMOs, glysophate, plastics, chemicals in general are all in the mix.
Old 01-08-19, 11:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Absolutely hilarious that a thread about a book pushing for the keto diet (no thanks!) has morphed into an argument about GMO.
Old 01-08-19, 11:25 AM
balut bandit
Banned.

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maladies like cancer, auto immune diseases, autism are sky rocketing and GMOs, glysophate, plastics, chemicals in general are all in the mix.
Yikes!

Someone desperately needs an education about "correlation does not equal causation." After their tin foil hat is adjusted of course.

As the uncle to a fantastic nephew that is autistic, I would encourage you to educate yourself before perpetuating that particular bit of fake news.

Learn more here:

geneticliteracyproject.org/2016/09/22/autism-increase-mystery-solved-no-its-not-vaccines-gmos-glyphosate-or-organic-foods/

Last edited by balut bandit; 01-08-19 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-08-19, 12:26 PM
canadian deacon

Bikes: Ratty ol' fixed gear and a 2013 Kona Dew Deluxe (SS conversion)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
To quote Jim Morrison (The Doors), "Nobody get's out of here alive."

Everything in moderation.

Old 01-08-19, 01:19 PM
Happy Feet

As are greater population levels, better diagnostic abilities, longer lifespans for diseases to appear in, more fossil fuel use, lower activity levels etc...

Many "maladies" probably didn't manifest in the 1800's because people died young due to malnutrition, infection, undiagnosed ailments and cannon fodder.

My father had dyslexia but was never disgnosed as such. He just did poorly in school, quit and got a job and raised a family. A child today would be identified by early elementary. Must be the fault of gmo's.
Old 01-20-19, 05:51 PM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
A new paper published in Nature this week:

​https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-018-0520-3
​​​​​​
In a nationally representative sample of US adults, we find that as extremity of opposition to and concern about genetically modified foods increases, objective knowledge about science and genetics decreases, but perceived understanding of genetically modified foods increases. Extreme opponents know the least, but think they know the most.
Just thought I'd drop it here. Take it for what it's worth...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.