Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Appreciation for your favorite local bike shop

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Appreciation for your favorite local bike shop

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-21, 08:22 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
My wife went and picked up my Christmas present from Napa River Velo (I’d already picked out the wheels myself, and asked Duke to keep them for her) and was presented with a bottle of red for us being such good customers. My kids always ask to stop in for a Honey Stinger waffle when we go past.
Old 12-26-21, 08:47 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
I have two daughters in the Portland OR area and when I am in town and they need something that I did not bring in tooling or components Backpedal Cycleworks
7126 SE Harold St, Portland, OR has helped me out. Super one man shop,
Old 12-26-21, 09:26 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
In Boston area, three favorites have closed! Dave’s Bike infirmary in Milton, MA. closed prior to COVID due to the owners declining health. Another local shop, a one man operation that was the nearest; Anderson Cycle of Quincy, closed during COVID. But very heartbreaking was the closure of Harris Cyclery of West Newton. It was a legendary shop that could provide almost any service short of lighting a torch. The home of Sheldon Brown.com, the store could re- align a frame, re-thread parts or find you the oddest internal part for a Sturmey Archer hub. The loss is difficult.
However, there remain some exceptional survivors, as well. Bikes not Bombs, a Co-op of sorts, offers used bits for people trying to keep an older cycle alive; especially for commuter oriented riding. Ferris Wheel bikes, as well, seems extremely service oriented. I try to purchase something from each of these shops whenever I visit, just to help them stay around. I do virtually all my own repairs, so buying tools or consumables seems the best way to send some coin into their coffers.
Old 12-27-21, 05:11 AM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
https://www.getfixedbicycles.co.nz/

This is a great place near where I live. Simon built a wheelset for me when he was still working out of his garage. Get Fixed was selected as Porirua Small Business Of The Year 2021. Porirua is about 20 miles outside Wellington. The Capitol of NZ. Welly has the most coffee consumption per capita in the world. Also, the highest percentage of cycle-commuters of any metro area outside Europe. So, this makes perfect sense.

The primary business is electric assist conversions, but Simon and staff are ace all-around techs as well. Sometimes I'll go in for a repair and he'll jump the line for me. Time for a cuppa and he's done. So, yeah appreciation for my lbs runs deep. If I need some kind of oddball part or accessory he usually has it or knows someone he can put me on to who does.

Last edited by GhenghisKahn; 12-27-21 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-27-21, 06:49 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
The Bicycle Rack in Hightstown, NJ -Van, the owner and master mechanic epitomizes terrific customer service and technical competence.
Van very much values his customers, especially long time customers like myself. Just a pleasure to do business with him.

Happy New Year to all!
Old 12-27-21, 10:07 PM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
...But very heartbreaking was the closure of Harris Cyclery of West Newton. It was a legendary shop that could provide almost any service short of lighting a torch. The home of Sheldon Brown.com, the store could re- align a frame, re-thread parts or find you the oddest internal part for a Sturmey Archer hub. The loss is difficult.
This one hurts. From 2005 until 2013 Harris Cyclery was my go to when no one else had it. Received more knowledge from Sheldon Brown than anyone else. Read his blogs voraciously. My gf at the time was from Worcester. We drove up from TN and I made a special pilgrimage in cycling over to the store. Purchased a HC water bottle to commemorate. SB had passed by this time. When completing my 1st wheel build SB was who taught me. You're right. The loss is difficult. Harris Cyclery like Sheldon Brown and Tom Stormcrowe is irreplaceable.
Old 12-29-21, 02:11 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
I’ve got two that I use regularly, Yellow Jersey in Arlington WI, and Ben’s Cycle on the south side of Milwaukee. Would not consider either exactly local to me, but both well worth the drive. As usual, I’ll be spending a good amount at both in the upcoming year.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 12-29-21, 04:13 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
A looong time ago I used to work for Risser Imaging on Electric Ave east of Ben's. Drove by there every day for years. They were great when I lived in that area. And I would live there again if I could.
In a heartbeat.
Old 12-31-21, 11:51 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Not a bicycle shop, but Charlie O'Leary at O'Leary Built Bicycles and Powder Coating in Santa Fe, New Mexico builds steel bicycle frames and powder coats frames and other stuff, too.

O’Leary Built Bicycles & Powder Coating
1156 Parkway Drive, Suite B
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507

https://olearybuiltbicycles.com/bicycles/

Old 01-01-22, 04:04 PM
BCSC

Bikes: 2013 Pinarello Marvel; 1981 Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here in Asheville, North Carolina we're blessed with lots of awesome local bike shops. Shout out to Youngblood at Youngblood Cycles, Frank at Beer City Bikes and Sam White at Liberty Bikes, just to name a few.
Old 01-04-22, 11:36 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
The Peak Sports Bike Shop in Corvallis, Oregon is an excellent shop staffed by a great group of folks. I really appreciate them!

Russ, the Service Manager, at Peak Sports Bike Shop in Corvallis Oregon.

Our school district inherited a bike fleet from a neighboring community to help us get our bike safety program going. The bikes, 37 of them, were in decent shape, but needed a safety check, adjustments, and some new parts before we wanted to put our kids on them. I was in Peak Sports picking up cables, brake shoes, etc, and Russ asked me what I was up to. I told him what I needed to do, and he told me that if I waited to the following Monday, he would come over (35 mile drive) on his day off and give me a hand. He showed up early in the morning , and other than taking a lunch break, we worked to 4:30. The only thing he would accept for payment was buying him lunch. His shop also gives us a discount on parts. I've know the folks at this shop for a long time,and they are great people.

Our fleet has 37 bikes, a 20 ft cargo trailer to haul them, 130 helmets donated by our local bike club, tools and spare parts. We teach the 2-week course to 5th graders at the district's 5 elementary schools. Hopefully, this Covid pandemic will get to a point were we can go back to working with the kids again.

Graduation Ride

Last edited by Doug64; 01-04-22 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-05-22, 07:17 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I'm not a "bicycle culture" guy and while it's only been the last 3 or 4 years since I've been riding more than just a few hundred miles per year, it is hard for me to imagine a repair that I would need to pay to have fixed. But I do need parts and accessories and the Ben to the Shore Charity Bike Ride really wants participants to have their bikes professionally inspected before the ride. So the place I get my limited bike shop stuff is Dn'A Bikes in Tamaqua, PA. Rich the owner is a salt of the earth kind of guy very knowledgeable and helpful.

Originally Posted by Numberfourson
Glendola Cycles in Wall N.J.Like me Paul appreciates the Classic and Vintage. If it is supposed to be pedaled to roll, it's his kind of stuff. Paul has been in bicycles all his life. Dad had a shop before him. He and his son are top flight!

Merry Christmas Guys and a very Happy New Year !

Hey Numberfourson, I grew up in Belmar, went to Manasquan HS in the mid 70s. Curious to know the name of the shop Paul's dad owned if it was in Monmouth county. One of my HS classmates mom started Brielle Cyclery which I bought a bike from in about 1974. Wrecked it (hit a parked car) just before I went to college in 76. I didn't bike until 1986 when I returned to Brielle to get my Nishiki which I still have and ride. About 3 years ago when I restarted riding I pulled the alloy seat post and stem which came right out because Brielle assembled it correctly 30+ years earlier.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 01-09-22, 10:26 AM
goodwrench84

Bikes: Trek 4300, Schwinn Le Tour, Specialized Allez, Trek 700 Multitrack & more

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Earlton bike shop in Cherry Hill, NJ. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff that keeps me going out of my way as a return customer for the past 10 years. I do a lot of maintenance on my own, but with age I realize the importance of supporting our LBS weather its buying products or supporting their service department