Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin EDGE 800 and cadence sensors

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 08:40 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 5,020 Times in 1,786 Posts

Ok, a search gave me no real answers so here goes:

I want to replace my current bike computer with an Edge 800 but cannot tell for certain if my current sensors will work. On both road bikes I run Bontrager Sensors that are ANT+. The one bike has a combination sensor that does both functions but the other bike has individual sensors for speed and cadence. Will both setups work with the EDGE 800? Right now I currently use a NODE 2 computer and then carry a handheld GPS with me.

Also, will the Garmin record speed, cadance, and HR at any given point in the ride?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-12, 09:18 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your ANT+ sensor should work fine with the Edge 800, even though it's a combo sensor (which is just two sensors in one package). The Garmin can be set up with a number of recording options -- I recommend setting it to record data at 1 second intervals.
Old 08-21-12, 11:51 AM
JakiChan

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am currently using an Edge 500 with the Bontrager sensor. It works fine. It's interesting to me that ANT+ sees it as a "Speed/Cadence" sensor (and 1 sensor at that) and not two separate ones.

One word of caution: zip tie that mofo down. The rubber band idea to hold it on is not a good idea - too easy for it to become dislodged and I hated futzing with it on a ride.
Old 08-21-12, 11:53 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
:doh:

Of course it's a single Speed/Cadence sensor. Garmin even makes their own. I have three of them. Thanks for the correction.
Old 08-21-12, 12:08 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by JakiChan
I am currently using an Edge 500 with the Bontrager sensor. It works fine. It's interesting to me that ANT+ sees it as a "Speed/Cadence" sensor (and 1 sensor at that) and not two separate ones.

One word of caution: zip tie that mofo down. The rubber band idea to hold it on is not a good idea - too easy for it to become dislodged and I hated futzing with it on a ride.
According to DCRainmaker (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/07/a...verything.html) the edge 800 will support the individual speed and cadence sensors as well as the combo speed/cadence sensor. The older Forerunner 305 will only support the combo sensors.
Old 08-21-12, 05:47 PM
MarkThailand

Bikes: Lynskey Helix OS and R330, Parlee Z1, Anderson 953 Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought the Garmin Edge 800 to replace my Cateye Double wireless speed/cadence computer.

The Garmin Edge 800 came with the Garmin speed/cadence sensor.

Can the Garmin speed/cadence sensor detect the Cateye wheel spoke and pedal magnet?

Mark
Old 08-21-12, 05:50 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkThailand
I just bought the Garmin Edge 800 to replace my Cateye Double wireless speed/cadence computer.

The Garmin Edge 800 came with the Garmin speed/cadence sensor.

Can the Garmin speed/cadence sensor detect the Cateye wheel spoke and pedal magnet?

Mark
typically yes, though I use the slightly heftier magnet that came with Garmin. I have had time out's on the thinner cateye magnets even with proper gap from the arm on the cs10.
Old 08-21-12, 07:02 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had trouble pairing the Bontrager with my Garin 705, not sure why
Old 08-21-12, 07:08 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I had to add rare earth magnets to my cadence AND wheel sensors to get Garmin's POS GSC-10 to pick them up. It's working great now (GSC-10 #2 and extra magnets) but it was frustrating.

wahoo also makes a sensor that's compatible if you need to move the cadence and wheel speed sensors to places that a single "combo" location doesn't make sense for. Man, that's some great English right there. Bronze it.