Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

I ordered a Cannondale road tandem 2 just before I discovered Bike Forums...

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 09:32 AM
J. De Carufel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

What do you think of that? Because we are new to tademing, I wanted to buy a tandem 3 but they were sold out and since the stocker was not prepared to wait until Spring 09, we went for the tandem 2

I am a little concerned that almost none of you are even mentionning Cannondale at all...

Did I miss something? I had also been thinking of the Trek T1000 but the dealer who carries both companies did not recommend Trek over Cannondale at all...

I would be very interrested in the opinion of fellow tandemists.

Thanks much.

Jacques De Carufel, Ottawa, Canada
Old 07-07-08, 09:48 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
i think you'll enjoy the bike alot. Cdale's oversized aluminum tubing is ideally suited for a tandem frame, where you want a stiff frame.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-07-08, 10:04 AM
Cycl/Canoe-ist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jacques,

I'm pretty sure that Tandem 2 & 3 frames/fork are the same. The only exception being the componentry set (ie disc brakes and better drive train).

Our C'Dale tandem 3 is about 2.5wks old and we love it. It's also our first tandem!!! We've put nearly 300km on it already along with a 190km overnight self-supported tour, just this past wknd.

I'm also very happy with the stock parts, even the saddles, so I intend to limit any upgrades. I did add a Thudbuster LT for my stoker, which should make her happier on those bumps. You might want to consider that.

I'm also learning that the frame is supposed to be stiff but also found that my handling is "flexy" especially when loaded with a touring rig. I'm not sure if this is an issue since I'm new to tandeming and have limited experience with other tandem bikes.

Hope that helps.
Jake...your name in English
Old 07-07-08, 10:04 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Cannondale is a good tandem especially considering the price. I believe that some other brands are better but they also cost twice as much! I rate the C'dale & Trek as equals.
Old 07-07-08, 01:38 PM
J. De Carufel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply...

I hope we will enjoy it. We can't wait for it to get here.

I'll tell you our impressions soon (hopefully).

Jacques
Old 07-07-08, 01:43 PM
J. De Carufel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Cycl/Canoe-ist;7013952]Jacques,

I'm pretty sure that Tandem 2 & 3 frames/fork are the same. The only exception being the componentry set (ie disc brakes and better drive train)...

I am pretty sure you're right concerning the frame and fork. Actually, we wanted a 3 as well but they were sold out... so we decided not to wait.

Let's keep in touch. I will report back as soon as we get to try it.

I have to go... my stocker is eager to go for another ride on the tandem we are currently borrowing from friends.

Cheers,

Jacques
Old 07-07-08, 02:39 PM
specbill
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should feel great about your C'dale buy. You can never go wrong buying one because they are a real value in the tandem arena. We've had our C'dale for years and it has been a very reliable and versatile performer. The longer you ride it, and the more you tune it to your preferences, the more you'll appreciate its' value.
If you are so inclined, it easily lends itself to all kind of upgrades as everyone makes something that will fit it... At one time or another we've set our's up as a great little touring bike (fenders - racks - tires) and as a pretty decent cross bike (big softer tires) for dirt road/trail riding. While we always come back to pavement riding, I never rule out some new adventure because I don't have the right tandem (mountain biking excluded). In fact, we will be racing it for the first time at the Co Motiom Classic Tandem Stage Race in August. We'll just strip her down, put on some quicker wheels, tires, and gears and go have some fun. How we do in that race will have little to do with our C'dale being a few pounds heavier than some of the high end bikes that we'll compete against. We'll be beaten by better riders, way less so by their bikes.... but most importantly .... at the end of the weekend.....we are all going to have the same huge grins on our faces.

In the big scheme of things, it is all about having fun on the Tandem with someone you want to share with. You picked a good Tandem that will let you do all of that and more. Don't give it a second thought.. just go have fun.

Bill J.
Old 07-07-08, 03:28 PM
Eddie50
Blind Runner

Bikes: 2006 Trek T2000 Tandem, a Fat bike and a CX bike

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
its a great choice, you will enjoy it I am sure! I had both a cannondale RT100, older model but pretty much the same, the one with disc brakes and now have the trek T200, it was mostly a fit issue for the change, but both are great for the prices.

The Cdale was heavier but the T2000 has more frame flex, the oversize Cdale tubes work well like it was said before.

Have fun!
Old 07-07-08, 04:39 PM
SUNCOAST

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 6, Specialized Tarmac SL6 Expert D.A., Niner RLT 9 Steel, Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I...We are on our second Cannondale, the first was I believe a '99 base model RT1000, with lowerend components. We had it and enjoyed it for several thousand miles replacing drivetrain parts as needed. We later sold the frame to an avid tandem racing couple who wanted the frame due to it's legendary stiffness. We now own the higher end (discs and upgraded drive train) 2007 Cannondale Tandem. Althought the geometry has changed, (compact design with lower top tubes), it's still a great value for the money compared to other more expensive tandems. We did test ride a Trek but found it to have a flex feel--just our opinion. Congrats on your purchase...get out there and ride, and learn to how to work on it, something I've also grown to enjoy.
Old 07-07-08, 05:11 PM
Baldy88

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird Carbon, 2014 Felt Edict 9, 2008 Cannondale Road Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We purchased a C'dale Road Tandem 3 this spring. Love it. For the price you can't beat it. We only changed out the saddles and put on a short travel Thudbuster for the stoker. Other than that it comes nicely equipped in the stock configuration. It is going on RAGBRAI with us in a couple of weeks. Enjoy your new ride.

Ben
Old 07-07-08, 05:23 PM
J. De Carufel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks much to all who took the time to reply. It's comforting... I guess I was just wondering a little bit because I had not seen many threads that were talking about Cannondale tandems.

Thans for the tip about bigger wheels/tires for cross type trails, as our friends have a hybrid tandem and we may want to go on hard cross-country trails from time to time, you know, the type of trails that are commonly found in national parks (covered with tiny gravel)... anyway, thanks again.

Jacques
Old 07-07-08, 05:25 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Bienvenue, Jacques!
You picked a very good tandem.
Now go out and enjoy the ride TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 07-07-08, 05:45 PM
Telkwa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't see a whole lot of difference between the 2 and the 3. We just bought a brand new 2005 RT1000 (disc brakes, Mavic wheels, similar or identical components) a month ago and having a lot of fun with it.
The C'Dales are a great value. You can pay a LOT more money if you want to but I wouldn't worry about it. We've already upgraded seats (Terry Liberator) stoker seatpost (Thudbuster ST) and will probly change out tires pretty soon. Other than that we plan to just ride it.
Old 07-07-08, 06:09 PM
deanack
Cycling since 1978

Bikes: 1981 Custom Assenmacher, 27", full Campy Super Record. Canondale Tandem, 25.5"-21.5" , Giant Yukon MTN Bike 24", 2010 Trek 2.3 64cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We purchased a Cannondale 2 2008 in Jumbo/Large in Black. Yes the frames are the same across the 2 & 3 if you look they both have disc bosses. Continental Bicycle in the Detroit area swapped out a white for a red frame for friends of ours that wanted red

Last edited by deanack; 07-30-08 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Wrong Shop name
Old 07-09-08, 02:46 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Telkwa
We've already upgraded seats (Terry Liberator) stoker seatpost (Thudbuster ST) and will probly change out tires pretty soon. Other than that we plan to just ride it.
Change of saddles and a good stokers suspension post are almost a necessity on the Dale frames. They are stiff- and tough- and strong.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-09-08, 09:33 PM
tandemedge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have both a C-Dale and a Trek tandem ... an older C-Dale MT1000 set up for "road" and bike trails and a new Trek T2000. We enjoy both ... neither are "high end" tandems but they are reliable and fun. Enjoy!!!
Old 07-29-08, 08:11 PM
CapTandem
and HemiGirl!

Bikes: 2007 Cannondale Tandem; 2006 Specialized Roubaix; 1993 Specialized Allez Epic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 Cannondale Tandem

Really love our 2007 Cannondale Tandem with disc brakes.

Last edited by CapTandem; 07-29-08 at 08:53 PM. Reason: update signature