Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem Racks: Any less expensive options?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-08, 01:52 PM
bpevans

Bikes: Ellsworth ID, Klein Attitude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife & I are new tandem owners, we're having fun with an old Trek T50 we just picked-up this summer and plan on sticking with it for a while. We're looking at rack options to carry a tandem and everything so far seems to be near $400.

Are there any less expensive options? I drive a truck, quad-cab, very short bed with shell over it & Thule rack. I'm fine with a simple roof rack design, I'm tall and don't mind lifting the tandem.
Old 08-29-08, 03:54 PM
MB1
DisMember

Bikes: Waterford RS22 Gearie, Waterford RS22 Fixte, Rivendell Rambouillet, Trek Madone5.5, Santana Beyond, GT Zaskar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It ain't that hard to make one with some 2x4s or even a 4x4 as a base on top of your Thule Rack.......
Old 08-29-08, 04:37 PM
zzzwillzzz
shut up and ride

Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there's another thread on here about racks.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ht=rack&page=1
here's the one i built
Old 08-29-08, 06:04 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bpevans
Are there any less expensive options?
As already noted, necessity and bucking the high-priced speciality options is the mother of invention.

While I've bought a couple of old-style Yakima tandem mounts in the past (Ebay for about $110), they're usually used for toting tandems in the back of pick-up trucks with both wheels removed to minimize the bike's footprint on long trips or when two tandems needed to be stuffed where one tandem usually fits.

However, a few years back we also had a Toyota 4Runner and some Suburbans where there was a need to cartop on an existing sports rack system. My solution was to use a 3rd crossbar so that I could make do using the much less expensive single bike mounts. The details of the various set-ups I used can be found at this link: https://www.thetandemlink.com/articles/cartopping.html

This may or may not be the solution you're looking for; however, it attempts to drive home the point that you don't NEED to buy a tandem-specific mount to safely transport your tandem. There are many solutions, some store-bought and others that can come from some farm-boy engineering that will do the job for a mere fraction of the cost of a speciality rack.

Here's another recent thread where someone who was in the market for a tandem had their plans dashed when the LBS tried to sell them far more than they needed in the way of a rack for their small car: https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...40&postcount=9
Old 08-29-08, 08:55 PM
CapTandem
and HemiGirl!

Bikes: 2007 Cannondale Tandem; 2006 Specialized Roubaix; 1993 Specialized Allez Epic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a quick reminder to think about an option that will accomodate the second tandem of your best new friends that you will be making.

We asked another experienced tandem couple to coach us on our tandem purchase. We also copied their solution for the tandem rack which was a Yakima Sidewinder. I set mine up to swing the opposite direction of his. This way, we can put both our tandems on either of our cars and the four of us can travel together. Now the trip to and from the ride only adds to the fun of riding the tandem!
Old 08-29-08, 09:42 PM
ljonesjo

Bikes: Bianchi Boron XL, KHS Cross Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a truck with a hitch rack. For short trips with the tandem I just put it on and use 2 bungee cords, one to keep the front wheel straight, the second to keep the bike hanging down (the wheels stick out some on both sides so the wind blows the bike a little horizontal). For long trips I just take off both wheels and stick them in the truck. With both wheels off it doesn't stick out at all. It is very easy to put on the rack and take off and i know I am not going to knock it off the top of the truck. I can still carry 2 additional bikes on the rack as well. It is a 4 bike model.
Old 08-29-08, 09:54 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Possible solution:
Drop the tailgate on your pickup. Park tandem kitty-corner in truck bed with front wheel removed. Does it fit? If it does, bungee cords can keep tandem from moving around.
Or, remove both wheels and frame could fit kitty-corner laying down (on old blanket or quilt) + bungees.
Not as elegant as rack, but could work.
Old 08-30-08, 03:05 PM
CactusJackSlade
DoubleDipTheChip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a receiver hitch rack and just remove the wheels. You can get a rear hitch rack really cheap off Craigslist. I like mine though, it swings open for access... but then you pay for that feature...
Old 09-01-08, 06:21 PM
bpevans

Bikes: Ellsworth ID, Klein Attitude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks folks, I eyeball-measured my hitch rack and thought the tandem would stick out way too far. Based on the comments and photos here I'll have to revisit that idea tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 09-03-08, 07:57 AM
KendallF

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My pickup solution is just to have a couple of fork mount quick releases on a piece of plywood in the back of the truck. If the tandem will stick out the back, add a 2x4 with small pieces of plywood nailed to the sides to cradle the rear wheel; put a flag on it for safety.

Currently I haul our tandem with a 4x6' utility trailer that I've put fork mounts on; I can fit 4 bikes on it and it's just long enough for the rear wheel of the tandem to fit. I spent about $300 for this trailer and use it for all sorts of stuff in addition to hauling bicycles.

Some of these tandem racks and their prices make me shake my head.
Old 09-04-08, 08:28 PM
TimpelsinTandem

Bikes: Trek T900 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will a regular bike rack work?

We recently bought a tandem bike and are enjoying it very much. Now we would like to figure out how to take it with us mounted on the back of our camper. Tandem bike racks seem very expensive and usually hold several bikes. Would a regular hitch mount bike rack work for a tandem? One we looked at seemed rated for enough weight. The clerk called the manufacturer who said yes we could use it for a tandem. However, the clamps that hold the bike are not adjustable to make them further apart. Will that work for such a long bike? We plan on taking the front wheel off, but not the back one.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-04-08, 09:58 PM
justcrankn

Bikes: Trek T2000, Ventana ElConquistador, ElSanto, STP400, 5500, JubileeSport, Scattante...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
TimpelsinTandem, if your RV is a trailer or fiver the rear end can have a rough, bouncy ride. Still, many do mount a receiver on the back and carry their bikes back there. Watch your tongue/pin weight as the receiver, carrier, and bike(s) are all taking weight off the tongue/pin and adding to the swing weight. This is discussed frequently on the RV boards.