Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

C'dale RT1000

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

C'dale RT1000

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-08, 07:08 PM
Grekei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C'dale RT1000

We are thinking about purchasing either 1998 C'dale RT1000, about 600 miles on it for $1,000 and upgrade to disk brakes eventially or get brand new C'dale Road Tandem 2. We really want C'dale RT 2 but really don't want to spend $3,000 right now. Any opinion??
Old 07-27-08, 07:46 PM
Possum Roadkill

Bikes: Giant TCR, Santana Team Scandium, Co-Motion Equator, Giant NRS Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The front fork does not appear to me to have a disc brake mount on the RT1000. It's difficult to see but it looks like the rear might have a disc mount. The RT1000 might just keep you from getting what you really want. You said you really wanted the RT2. Do you think you are still really likely to want the RT2 $1000 later? You could try to sell the bike when you have saved up more for the new bike but that could also end up being a hassle.

When we bought our Santana Team Scandium we really preferred the Beyond. The Beyond was... well... somewhat Beyond how long we wanted to wait to get a bike. There was a waiting list of about half a year and we wanted the bike sooner than that to replace a tandem that was not suitable for the riding we had planned. We however preferred the Beyond rather than really, really wanting it. Now that we are on the Team Scandium, we are happy with our choice and I think the bike looks better than the Beyond does. Every event ride we have done we get compliments on what a nice tandem we have and what is really important is that the bike is capable of handling the types of rides we do.
Old 07-28-08, 07:21 AM
jgg3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Assuming the condition is good and the size is right, I would probably opt for the used bike.
Old 07-28-08, 11:19 AM
specbill
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the used '98 fits and is in 'only 600 mile condition' I don't see how you can go wrong for a first Tandem. It let's you ride now and learn what you like and dislike about tandems so that when you are ready to spend considerably more money you will make much better decisions. It is a fairly inexpensive way to learn what you really want based on real time experience. You may find that Disc brakes are not the primary focus of your next bike....Most importantly, when you are ready, you should be able to sell the '98 for very close to what you are buying it for...not a lot of downside in my view.
Good luck on you decision...have fun and welcome.
Bill J.
Old 07-31-08, 02:04 PM
CapTandem
and HemiGirl!

Bikes: 2007 Cannondale Tandem; 2006 Specialized Roubaix; 1993 Specialized Allez Epic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Double check about putting a disc brake on that 98’ C’dale tandem. I remember the local C’dale dealer telling me in the late 90’s that the C’dale factory shipped tandems with disc brakes, and then decided to remove them. As I remember it, the stress on the frame was more than they thought it would be, and the frame would be redesigned in a year or two to handle disc brakes.

We bought an 07’ C’dale with front and rear disc brakes a year ago. We can’t imagine riding a tandem without and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to you. Fit is everything, and hard to get when shopping used. Also, factor in all the big changes in design and components that have happened since 98’.

On the used side, it really is hard to know for sure that you or your partner won’t change their mind after you’ve spent the cash. We found a local shop to rent a tandem from for the weekend, and were surprised by how we could not assume anything we did on a bike from habit. (“I have to start with my left foot or I WILL lose my balance!”) We laughed at each other all the way around the block the first time. (“Wait! I can’t see! I can’t steer! I can’t brake! I’m having TRUST issues back here!”)

Keep your sense of humor, be prepared to change ANY habit, and you’ll be fine. In our photo, HemiGirl’s smile is as wide as her arms. Ride safe and we hope to see you on the road sometime!

Last edited by CapTandem; 07-31-08 at 04:06 PM. Reason: changed one word for clarity
Old 08-11-08, 09:23 AM
Dan&JanetTandem

Bikes: Pinarello Stelvio Road, Cannondale Rt1000 Tandem, Gary Fisher MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rt1000

We bought our RT1000 in 1999 and have about 10k miles on it (we had a 5 year break where it just sat in the shed).

We upgraded the wheelset, but that's about it.

The front dérailleur, crankset, and rear dérailleur are next to get swapped, but probably next season.

The bike is stiff, handles very well, fairly light, and comfortable enough for all day rides/ century rides, etc.
Old 08-11-08, 09:40 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the used RT1000 if it fits you. Cdale makes a nice tandem frame, and the entry level bike has the same frame as the more expensive model.

As for the disc brakes, what kind of riding are you going to be doing? If you're not doing loaded touring, I'm really not convinced most teams need disc brakes.

And if your riding style, team weight, terrain, dictate more than rim brakes, you can always put on an Arai drum drag brake.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-11-08, 09:43 AM
Dan&JanetTandem

Bikes: Pinarello Stelvio Road, Cannondale Rt1000 Tandem, Gary Fisher MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drum Brakes not required

We haven't missed drum brakes -- we have Mt calipers and they work as needed. We've ridden down some very fast long hills (Altoona, Johnstown, State College) and the brakes have been fine.

I'd rather save the weight when going up hill!
Old 08-11-08, 10:24 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1998 RT1000, purchased used... it's our first tandem. It's great.

To the OP: in order to recieve a good recommendation, you should probably tell a little more about your background, where you're riding, and what you are hoping to do with your tandem.

I would not buy the RT1000 with the plans of converting it to disc. You might convert it to V-brakes or Maguras or put on a drum brake, depending on what your needs are.