Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

full chrome frame ALBUCH KOTTER(?) ID HELP

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-23, 07:43 AM
shmithys

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Anyone know more about this?

Likes For shmithys:
Old 12-30-23, 11:49 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
from what I can actually ID (that's a Silva IC BB shell from Italy, semi-vertical DOs unknown brand, brake bridge either Cinelli or GPM and the internal cable grommets another well-known maker but ?) this is certainly either contract-built in Italy for AK but given that extended seat tube it may be "custom" with a sloping TT or could be a "funny bike" with smaller front wheel.
I'd bet it's from the 1990s and the "95" in serial number might be the year, all just guessing.

There was some mention of Albuch Kotter bikes in some previous threads but have not found anything yet...except a couple names of contract-builders for AK that are mentioned in threads and include Romani (but think they went out of business in the late 1980s) and Chesini (still building?). Nothing shown look exactly like the OP's frame.

Is there a fork?

Last edited by unworthy1; 12-30-23 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-30-23, 12:03 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I just did a quick search and it looks like there are a lot of pics presumably with some info on the web.... BTW lovely frame

Google translate is your friend

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155682440926

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albuch_Kotter

Last edited by sced; 12-30-23 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-31-23, 04:27 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Cool frame!

A bunch of German brands outsourced production to Italy, for at least some of their frames and some of their history, Kotter among them. So you always need to be ready for the surprise ITA bottom bracket and headtubes/forks. Most Kotters were fully chromed, but since they were then painted, the chrome finish isn't as nice as you might hope. I think they didn't prep the frames as delicately as you would expect if the chrome were the final finish.

They did small wheeled triathlon bikes, I think, and this is probably one of them. I have seen ads for Kotters with the extended seat tube like this. If it's a frame for 26 inch wheels, I hope you have the fork too, otherwise it could be hard to find a matching one!
Old 12-31-23, 11:01 AM
1oldtrackie

Bikes: Only Track bikes in the collection - about 27 or so left out of 130 approx

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 37 Posts
Not much help to you but I have this very cool "KOTTER'S" 6-Day jersey in my collection.

Old 01-03-24, 10:17 AM
shmithys

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
from what I can actually ID (that's a Silva IC BB shell from Italy, semi-vertical DOs unknown brand, brake bridge either Cinelli or GPM and the internal cable grommets another well-known maker but ?) this is certainly either contract-built in Italy for AK but given that extended seat tube it may be "custom" with a sloping TT or could be a "funny bike" with smaller front wheel.
I'd bet it's from the 1990s and the "95" in serial number might be the year, all just guessing.

There was some mention of Albuch Kotter bikes in some previous threads but have not found anything yet...except a couple names of contract-builders for AK that are mentioned in threads and include Romani (but think they went out of business in the late 1980s) and Chesini (still building?). Nothing shown look exactly like the OP's frame.

Is there a fork?
Originally Posted by Frkl
Cool frame!

A bunch of German brands outsourced production to Italy, for at least some of their frames and some of their history, Kotter among them. So you always need to be ready for the surprise ITA bottom bracket and headtubes/forks. Most Kotters were fully chromed, but since they were then painted, the chrome finish isn't as nice as you might hope. I think they didn't prep the frames as delicately as you would expect if the chrome were the final finish.

They did small wheeled triathlon bikes, I think, and this is probably one of them. I have seen ads for Kotters with the extended seat tube like this. If it's a frame for 26 inch wheels, I hope you have the fork too, otherwise it could be hard to find a matching one!

thanks for the answer!
rear DO's have the Gipiemme stamp.
Unfortunately, there is no fork for this frame... The frame apparently comes from some warehouse. I don't have any specific information.
The bottom bracket is apparently ITA.