Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

TT (ridiculous) helmets soon to be banned

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

TT (ridiculous) helmets soon to be banned

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-24, 09:18 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
The issue is . . .we have to be able to see their faces to make sure they're human.
Well.. Zuckerberg and Musk both look like humans, although we seriously doubt they are
Old 03-10-24, 12:11 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
spikes on helmets and going to rounder
Old 03-10-24, 01:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Well.. Zuckerberg and Musk both look like humans, although we seriously doubt they are
The fellow climbers are quite certain that Vingegaard is not.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-14-24, 05:40 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Greg LeMond won the time trial and the Tour de France in 1989 by 8 seconds using what was a very radical helmet for the time. He also made use of aero bars which was also innovative for a pro racer.
Old 03-15-24, 09:02 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
My thoughts on this.... let them get as fast as possible in TT but TT only and do not bring this tech into the road racing.
TT should be as technically advanced as possible as it is all about speed and w/kg that power the bike. I dont care how ugly or ridiculous this looks like. I will never buy it and see zero reason for anyone outside of TT to be wearing it. As long as it is safe, let it be. Ditto TT bikes. LEt the companies push the limits of what can be done.

But keep the normal road racing, normal.

Just look at the tech in downhill skiing or ski jumping. Do you see anyone wearing this stuff on the slopes? Its all about being fast and nothing else matters.
Old 03-15-24, 11:40 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
My thoughts on this.... let them get as fast as possible in TT but TT only and do not bring this tech into the road racing.
TT should be as technically advanced as possible as it is all about speed and w/kg that power the bike. I dont care how ugly or ridiculous this looks like. I will never buy it and see zero reason for anyone outside of TT to be wearing it. As long as it is safe, let it be. Ditto TT bikes. LEt the companies push the limits of what can be done.

But keep the normal road racing, normal.

Just look at the tech in downhill skiing or ski jumping. Do you see anyone wearing this stuff on the slopes? Its all about being fast and nothing else matters.
I'm all in for this, as long as security remains importantER than speed and that the whole thing does not become an integrated fairing looking like the world's fastest motorcycle. UCI needs to set limits, regardless of how minor they can be.
Old 03-15-24, 03:41 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
[QUOTE=crazyravr;23185011]My thoughts on this.... let them get as fast as possible in TT but TT only and do not bring this tech into the road racing.
TT should be as technically advanced as possible .[/
QUOTE]

Problem with this approach is the UCI already limits tons of stuff that prevents a TT bike from being as fast as technically possible. One simple example is the 5cm saddle set back rule.

The fastest TT bike would be a fully faired recumbent. The UCi long ago decided recumbents didn’t meet their idea of a bike, and also rejected fairings.

So there are definite limits on what tech is allowed. The question is where do you draw those lines
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh: