Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Friction Shifter - Touch ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-24, 08:10 AM
Slohan47
Still-Movin!

Bikes: '67Schwinn, 72 Schwinn, 81 schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

What Kind of Touch is used ; What do I feel; How Slow or how much does the lever need to move; move it until the chain leaves the current gear and my pedals are not driving me forward ?
If my hearing is not good enough to hear chain noises How will I know., what might I feel ?

I have read about shifters with something like motorcycle manual gear shifting-
Sounds good, but I'll be a "Retro-Nut" until... I can't get the Friction system to work.or feel the Need to Upgrade.
I acknowledge All Things must be in correct condition & Adjustment The bike of my youth was a Sturmey-Archer 3 spd. but that was in the flatlands and a long time gone.

I want the Friction system to work for me, more Simple, less Tech - upside down in the den, I'm having some success..As a parting question: When I put a Load on the Drive system will the Derailer system operate as without a load?
Hope Y'All out there enjoying a God-nice ride !
Likes For Slohan47:
Old 02-06-24, 08:27 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
If you cannot hear or sense poor chain alignment, index for you.
hyperglide or similar, that Shimano design will allow shifts under load reasonably well.
Upside down for working is Ok but there are changes, best is right side up and a road test. Consider hanging the bike right side up, small Italian repair shops did it that way.
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-06-24, 08:33 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
I don't know what issues you are having. Have you ridden it yet, or just setting it up? If setting it up, make sure your derailleur cogs are perfectly in line with the high and low cogs of your cassette through the range of the shift lever. When you shift just move the lever slowly until it shifts into the next cog. I find it easier to get perfectly aligned shifts when going into a lower gear. It's like driving a stick shift. You will have it mastered in no time. Good luck.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 02-06-24, 08:50 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
If your chain alignment is far enough off, you might feel the vibration through the frame, but you might not hear minor rubbing after a shift. But if you already are having hearing loss, it would be very difficult to learn friction shifting without hearing the feedback of the chain rub to fine tune the lever position. If you use friction shifting long enough, you develop muscle memory so that you can move the lever just the right amount to shift a gear. It's much the same as a trombone player knows how far to move the slide, or a violin player knows where to put their fingers.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 02-06-24, 09:15 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
It may take a while to get the right feel of shifting and trim to ride with out rub and clatter. Trim is the amount it takes to align the chain to the chainring or cog after the shift moves the chain to a larger ring or cog and pedal without clatter from the friction shifts.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 02-06-24, 09:22 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,716 Times in 2,613 Posts
My main commuter has downtube friction shifters, moving a chain across an 8-speed cassette. In the winter, I'm wearing various ear covers, which make it pretty impossible to use hearing to know whether I need to trim the shifter or not. But I can feel it in the drivetrain if there's some rubbing on a front or rear derailleur. And I think I've also gotten used to seeing the position of the lever and how much I need to move it in order to shift successfully. Probably wouldn't work if I were in a race, but for my short commute, it's just fine.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-06-24, 10:01 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
And to make it all more interesting, various rear derailleurs shift quite differently so there is no hard and fast rule and the same goes with the tooth profile on the cogs. Hyperglide teeth on rear cogs shift easiest as has been mentioned already. Uniglide cogs seem to shift better than Suntour to me as they have a twist on the gear teeth. A 5 or 6 speed will also be different than a 7 speed if we are just considering freewheels. Some of us feel that this is all part of the character of each individual bike and requires different techniques on an individual basis.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 02-06-24, 10:48 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
There's no "standard amount of movement or force used on friction shifters. It all depends on how quickly your derailleur can shift. A Nouvo Record Rear derailleur, for example will need quite a bit more movement of the lever with a good amount of overshift and back trim to make it go from one rear cog, to another. The Suntour Cyclone Mk II RD on the other hand, would shift with much less lever movement and barely any overshift needed. All because os the difference in the design of the derailleur. And it all changes at the shift levers for almost all the different derailleurs. So friction shifting is a truly pure "analog" process. Even with clicking "power shifters (But not indexed.) Shifting would still be different per each different derailleur.
Now, with Simplex or similar, "Retrofriction" shifters, it would be different. Retrofriction shifters have an internal clutch (But no indexing or ratcheting.) that makes shifting feel much lighter and thus feel more precise. Amount of lever movement would still be different between different derailleurs.

Last edited by Chombi1; 02-06-24 at 11:00 AM.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 02-06-24, 11:18 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
If one really reads the original post, the issues are multifaceted, all the finesse comments are good BUT, if one cannot hear or feel how the bike’s drivetrain is “talking”, why waste time, money and effort?

find the parts, let a competent shop tune it or assemble it and get out and ride. Lots of Shimano 600 tricolor out there that would work really well.
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-06-24, 08:03 PM
Slohan47
Still-Movin!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Same old Story...

Ride on Bro, Bra's
> Thanks for most excellent Responses; Also appreciate the thought & experience that build Them! I do like to work on Machines, enjoy knowing how & why it works, and if it doesn't perform to some usuable standard; clean, disassemble inspect, Etc.> to make it better. Having much more Patience than money at this time of life; Karma dictates much of my acheivements. Biking and related support activities will be enjoyable and healthy way to use my time.
I have made two test-rides mostly for balance & brakes, surely I can find a gear to ride off-road @LoCal park-trails until I can finesse my ancient machine up to Cruising speeds.
I have aquired two other bikes/ same drive train I believe; Schwinn Approved -French "SPRINT" [RD's]; as "Chombi1" pointed out It's an analog process so one of the extra RD's will be sacrificed for science/engineering and FUN! Suggestions/ directions/ links or warning in dissambly of the RD-Sprint- type will be concidered :LOL !
Old 02-07-24, 08:51 AM
Slohan47
Still-Movin!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Trim" not as a Butcher Sir 66

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
It may take a while to get the right feel of shifting and trim to ride with out rub and clatter. Trim is the amount it takes to align the chain to the chainring or cog after the shift moves the chain to a larger ring or cog and pedal without clatter from the friction shifts.
Thankyou Sir / Mr. 66.
If not too far out off the road - Your Reply is short & Informative which I Like; painted me a picture by words of what I will need to do with my machine.
Good / Safe Riding
Likes For Slohan47:
Old 02-07-24, 08:57 AM
Slohan47
Still-Movin!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Trim" not as a Butcher Sir 66

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Thankyou Sir / Mr. 66.
If not too far out off the road - Your Reply is short & Informative which I Like; painted me a picture by words of what I will need to do with my machine.
Good / Safe Riding
Old 02-07-24, 09:11 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
You have to buy and use whatever system works for you. I grew up with friction shift, which I use exclusively. (I'm even the guy who friction-shifted a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed coaster hub with an old Huret friction downtube lever. )

I particularly like friction's ease of accommodating any mix-and-match combination of cogs, chainrings, chains, and derailleurs. Changing from 6 to 7 cogs or from 7 to 8 cogs in back? Been there ... done that. Easy. A bit of cable stretch? Just pull the lever back a bit more until you get a chance to readjust the system to accommodate the change (if necessary or desired).
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 02-07-24, 09:50 AM
Slohan47
Still-Movin!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Better Vibrations

whether I need to trim the shifter or not ... I can feel it in the drivetrain/ if there's some rubbing on a front or rear derailleur.And I think I've also gotten used to seeing the position of the lever and how much I need to move it in order to shift successfully.
>Thankyou nlerner
You verified there is a "Feeling"- AKA "VIBES" comiing through the frame - Etc. of the machine.Did run through shift-operation(s) in my workroom / Den; could hear & see / Cogs-gears & Chain were not in alignment.
I have made some Adj's and much better Vibes

Last edited by Slohan47; 02-07-24 at 09:57 AM. Reason: composition
Old 02-07-24, 09:55 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I have poor hearing and usually don't wear my hearing aids while biking (sweat and wind noise). My 3 friction-shifting bikes all have different components. Without problem all I do is one or more quick head-down look-backs at the chain/cog alignment and adjust as needed.

Last edited by sced; 02-07-24 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-07-24, 12:28 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
It’s the same as “driving stick”
Old 02-07-24, 01:20 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
There's no "standard amount of movement or force used on friction shifters. It all depends on how quickly your derailleur can shift.
And the barrel diameter on the shift lever. E.g. Simplex retrofriction levers have a smaller diameter than SunTour "Power" shifters, and require more lever travel than the SunTour levers regardless of the derailleur at the other end of the cable.
Old 02-07-24, 02:10 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
But it is difficult to find nicer shifters than Retrofriction, at least for me.

If I ever go back to friction, those are the ones I’d use. Although the cheap Shimano L-422 spring loaded ones are nice too.

John
Old 02-07-24, 06:10 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
I have been experimenting a lot over the past 3 years with friction, and my recommendation is to use Hyperglide style cogs (cassettes or freewheels by multiple makers) and run your upper pulley as far from the cogs as possible. This will make it possible to shift easily but not require any precision with the lever position because the chain will have room to angle up to the cogs.
Old 02-07-24, 07:01 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
I just wait for another rider to yell at me about the noise.
Old 02-07-24, 08:25 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,312 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
I just wait for another rider to yell at me about the noise.
Same for me. and his name is gugie .
Old 02-10-24, 05:39 PM
Slohan47
Still-Movin!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
repechage Thanks for Reply
An opinion if you have one concerning : Shimano's 400 FF, it's also Old School.
IT appears to be more modern and seems smoother working it by hand; was on '81 Schwinn Collegate
Old 02-10-24, 06:19 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I also once felt bothered by what I am hearing the OP describe, until I started riding in competition.

There (where suffering and intense effort was expected), I seemingly forced my brain to start better tracking how my lever movements were effecting good and not-so-good shifts, and my technique magically improved from that point forward.
The intensity and repetition seemingly having reinforced some neural pathways.
Just like learning to argue with my (all of them older) siblings!

I still have annoyances with the shifting on used-bike purchases, where many factors can mess up the mental calibration I have developed.
Things like a shift lever needing lubrication (oil being good enough), or a "wrong" lever-travel/actuation balance, really forces me to slow my shifting effort with each gear change.
So besides perhaps changing the chain or freewheel, I often add a bit of cable housing liner to the bottom bracket cable guide, replace the cable housing, or even change the cable position at the rear derailer anchor bolt to adjust the actuation/leverage felt at the lever.
My recently-purchased Bridgestone features a roller as a bottom bracket cable guide, and the shifting using the low-end Lark-II rear derailer feels about as light as with Retrofriction levers. Slap-shift city!

I have had issues with using Hyperglide-style freewheels in friction shifting mode, particularly if the ratio spacing wasn't wide enough.
Shifting over "tightly"-geared Hyperglide freewheels means you can't always detect that your shift has even occurred, and dangerous ghost-shifting can strike you since those HG freewheel cogs give almost no audible/vibratory feedback as to a poorly positioned chain relative to the selected cog. And it seems to be yet more of a hazard when riding surrounded by other riders.

So, for spirited riding using friction levers, I find that the "sweet spot" for freewheels or cassettes are mostly pre-HG Shimano and Suntour units, the latter perhaps best exemplified by their later Alpha-series freewheels having bevels approximating the twisted teeth of Uniglide cogs.

A friction-shifted bike with all of the mechanical boxes checked is truly a pleasure to change gears on.
Though luckily, virtually all of the bikes that came with narrower than 8-speed cog-to-cog spacing came with indexing brifters from the factory.

Last edited by dddd; 02-10-24 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-10-24, 06:21 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3205 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 1,164 Posts
I aplaud you for wanting to learn friction shifting. I have one bike, of four, with downtube index. The rest friction.