Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Internal Cable Routing Issue with 1990s Merckx

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-24, 11:34 PM
gjanssen

Bikes: 1973 Pelà-built Benotto | 1980s Rossin | 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Max | 2001 Serotta CSI (custom) | 2005 Felt F2 Team Edition | 2022 Cannondale SuperSixEvo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I posted this in the general Bicycle Mechanic forum, but I though maybe I'd have better luck over here with the C & V crowd.

I'm putting together a 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Max and have encountered a snag -- the frame is supposed to have the rear brake cable routed through the top tube (only the cable, not the housing), but I have been unable to get a cable through the top tube. When I put a cable (just the cable) in through the hole/port near the head tube, it almost immediately runs into some type of obstruction and will go no further. When I do the same from the exit hole/port near the seat tube, I can push about 4 inches of cable in before it also meets an obstruction. Has anyone else encountered this? Any idea what's going on? I assume there is a small guide tube in there for the cable and the frame has been recently repainted (not by me), so maybe some paint found its way in there? I have tried to blow air through the tube, and nothing comes out the other end -- in fact, it all just blows back out the hole in which the air was introduced. It seems like a serious obstruction. Any suggestions as to what might be going on and how it might be fixed?
Old 03-16-24, 11:16 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Maybe a cable button/head might have been stuck in there? Or an insect died in there?
Can't think of what else can be causing that obstruction.....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 03-16-24, 11:54 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Try a straightened metal coat hanger..... Not ideal, but an alternative approach is to use cable clamps and run housing all the way from the brake lever to the caliper.
Likes For sced:
Old 03-16-24, 01:05 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
^this^ has worked for me but some stiff-but-flexible wire thinnner than a coathanger was my choice. It wasn't a Merckx but did require a struggle to finally get new cable pulled thru: used the wire to pull a string then used for pulling back both cable and housing...really more hassle than it was worth but the frame builder decided against brazing a full internal tube in the TT. Pound foolish!
Old 03-16-24, 01:18 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,993 Times in 1,778 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
^this^ has worked for me but some stiff-but-flexible wire thinnner than a coathanger was my choice. It wasn't a Merckx but did require a struggle to finally get new cable pulled thru: used the wire to pull a string then used for pulling back both cable and housing...really more hassle than it was worth but the frame builder decided against brazing a full internal tube in the TT. Pound foolish!
Yep, this was my method on one bike. Some kind of insect like a mud wasp had built a hard mud like cocoon inside the tube. I used some of the stiff wire that's for mounting wire fencing to T Posts.
Old 03-16-24, 01:58 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts

A spoke might be better

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll: