Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Patching Butyl Tubes - Problems

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Patching Butyl Tubes - Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-24, 01:38 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 1,635 Times in 1,049 Posts
Better get a can as quick as ya can...

Old 02-22-24, 06:33 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3206 Post(s)
Liked 1,848 Times in 1,165 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
It is acetone or in some brands a less effective remover. I use pure acetone to finally clean the tube prior to Rema, works well.
Thanks.
Old 02-22-24, 06:41 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by Pompiere
Something I have noticed, is that matching the tube size to the tire helps reduce the number of failed patches. When the tube has to stretch to fill the inside of the tire, it puts more stress on the patch and they start to pull away. I use the skinny tubes in my 25 mm tires and wider ones in the 28 and 32 mm tires.

I always use a kitchen timer to make sure the glue in thoroughly dry. I have also made patches out of old tubes, as well as rejoining the ends of a rubber rim strip. When gluing two pieces of rubber (vs. a patch), I put glue on both surfaces and let it dry before joining them together.

Those old Camel heat vulcanizing patches were the best, although I don't think they made any small enough for bike tires. My parents owned a truck stop in the 1970s and I put a lot of them on truck inner tubes. The second-hand smoke from one patch was probably equivalent to a pack of cigarettes.
I remember watching my dad do that in the basement. Probably wheelbarrow tubes.
Old 02-22-24, 06:51 PM
seedsbelize2

I doubt Rema fluid is available in my country. And I can never bring it down on thd plane. I should do some looking around though.
Old 02-24-24, 05:52 PM
MattoftheRocks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
I go full Hank Hill and sand thoroughly in multiple directions, let the cement dry dry-dry, and after patching I stick it in a c clamp between a couple round-cornered pieces of planed-flat wood for a day or so.

no issues.
Old 02-24-24, 06:30 PM
seedsbelize2

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
I doubt Rema fluid is available in my country. And I can never bring it down on thd plane. I should do some looking around though.
However, the glue I just bought claims to be vulcanizing. I bet that’s not true though.
Old 02-24-24, 06:57 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
In case you are wondering.... https://youtu.be/r9hMSVQcDSA
That's how my dad taught me to patch tubes, in the '60s. They used a specially-made small C-clamp that held the whole contraption tightly against the tube, then you lit it with a match. Super smelly, definitely outdoors only. I doubt they were intended for bicycle tubes, but that's what we used 'em for. I think I still have the little C-clamp around here somewhere, lot of good it does me without the patches...
Likes For bulgie:
Old 02-25-24, 08:47 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
You misunderstand.
I was being facetious and my joke fell flat. Sorry

I was describing the follow-up post-patching check, not the initial bubble check. On the first pass, yes, I go all the way around and clearly mark every discovered hole. If a tube has more than two holes, I usually discard it as the economics of patching goes way down (I consider Slime a hole for this evaluation, as it can temporarily mask holes and gum up valves). Exceptions can be made for uncommon or hard-to-find tubes.
I put far more patches on a tube before I discard it. It’s not that expensive for the patch and job ($0.75 to $1.25 per patch) but putting more patches on keeps the tube out of the waste stream. Since rubber really isn’t recyclable, any amount that you can keep out of the waste stream is better. 30 is probably too many but 2 is too few.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-25-24, 10:33 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked 2,599 Times in 1,228 Posts
Recycle? They come in handy for wrapping when grafting trees and adding supports. Wrapped the bike rack to protect against accidental rear door opening. There is a thread on here somewhere.
Old 02-25-24, 11:29 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,851 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I was being facetious and my joke fell flat. Sorry

I put far more patches on a tube before I discard it. It’s not that expensive for the patch and job ($0.75 to $1.25 per patch) but putting more patches on keeps the tube out of the waste stream. Since rubber really isn’t recyclable, any amount that you can keep out of the waste stream is better. 30 is probably too many but 2 is too few.
There are NEVER misunderstandings regarding intent in electronic communications! Everyone knows that! This is the future, you see!!

The "more than two" is typically at one time, as I figure at so much per patch + my time that putting 3 or more patches on at once isn't efficient. But if the tube already has 8 good patches and I add one or two more, that's no biggie.

(here is where an economist would come bursting in and say "There's no difference!!" This is why we don't invite them.)

Last edited by RCMoeur; 02-25-24 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-25-24, 05:16 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
When a tube of vulcanizing fluid is opened and used on the road, I typically will replace it in the bike's patch kit with an unopened tube when I get home, and place the opened tube in the home patching supplies for use.
I was on a ride with Jacquie Phelan, and when we came to a scenic spot to rest and have a bite, she admonished the people who parked their bikes in the sun. She said "don't join the Park It In The Sun Hiking Club" as in you'll be walking home if you need a patch and the glue is all dried out. Though I question whether sun versus shade makes all that much difference for the little time we spent looking at the scenery, when we'd been out in the sun all day before and after the rest stop. I'd generalize the advice to "think about how old your glue is, and replace it before it dries up." Words to live by — or at least to ride (not walk) by.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 02-25-24, 05:52 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Jacquie is a charmer...
Old 02-26-24, 07:05 PM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Jacquie is a charmer...
She was mentioned in an item that showed up on BRAIN today:

Charlie Cunningham selling unique spoke machine to support care | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
Likes For NJgreyhead:
Old 02-28-24, 07:35 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Inquiring minds want to know--do you tear off the thin plastic outer-most layer on the Rema patches?
I just noticed that the Rema instructions show removal of the outer plastic as the last step in the process.
Old 02-28-24, 10:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by NJgreyhead
I just noticed that the Rema instructions show removal of the outer plastic as the last step in the process.
Yes but that step can be skipped. I’m not a fan of fishing small bits of plastic out of the tire on the next flat so I remove the plastic but nothing is harmed by leaving it in place.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-29-24, 10:27 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,441 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yes but that step can be skipped. I’m not a fan of fishing small bits of plastic out of the tire on the next flat so I remove the plastic but nothing is harmed by leaving it in place.
This is good to know. Removing the plastic has the risk of peeling the patch up. I am now good at it, but I have to be careful. Waiting until the patch has worked in an inflated tire makes it easier.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-29-24, 10:47 AM
curbtender

Originally Posted by noglider
This is good to know. Removing the plastic has the risk of peeling the patch up. I am now good at it, but I have to be careful. Waiting until the patch has worked in an inflated tire makes it easier.
Most patches have a score in that plastic. If you bend the patch in half before you remove the foil it should release it.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 02-29-24, 10:55 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,441 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Most patches have a score in that plastic. If you bend the patch in half before you remove the foil it should release it.
Yes, that's what I usually do. Gotta pull it in the right direction.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.