Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sensah or Ltwoo?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sensah or Ltwoo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-24, 10:03 AM
elston1999

Bikes: Cannondale r500, Mongoose Hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sensah or Ltwoo?

I want to put on some new 2x7 shifters on an older road bike. I like the clean cockpit look with the cables under the bar tape like newer bikes. Does Sensah or Ltwoo have the cables under the bar tape? If so, which one is better? Cheers!
Old 04-07-24, 05:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,499 Times in 4,194 Posts
Both route the shift cable under bar tape.
Based on reviews, neither are impressive. One has a known rattle issuethat has supposedly been fixed a few times yet hasn't, and the other has countless complaints about insides breaking.

I have used Sensah before- brief ride- the hood was fine and shifting feel was not nearly as nice as lower end Claris, but it worked.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-07-24, 08:37 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,017 Posts
Trace Velo on You Tube has done some long term testing on LWtoo and recently posted a new video on it, he worked through several issues on early versions that seem to have been corrected.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-08-24, 06:55 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,189 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Trace Velo on You Tube has done some long term testing on LWtoo and recently posted a new video on it, he worked through several issues on early versions that seem to have been corrected.

Worth a watch.

How much cheaper is this?
Old 04-08-24, 07:42 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
For the price, I'm certainly going to take a gamble on an L-TWOO groupset, if I can't find an inexpensive second-hand Shimano or Campy (which are getting harder to find, the prices for these have gone through the roof!). I'm not particularly hard on components, so I'd be confident I could keep it running well with a good setup and regular maintenance.
Old 04-08-24, 07:58 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by bampilot06
How much cheaper is this?
I want to say it was $600 to $800 for the kit.

Old 04-08-24, 11:32 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,046 Times in 442 Posts
Sensah for mechanical. They sell Shimano compatible shifters both in mechanical and hydraulic. Just stick with Shimano derailleurs and the shifters work great. Also pay the slight premium for the carbon levers, the haptics and brake lever just feel smoother overall. Ltwoo mechanical shift levers suck. They're Campagnolo style with the thumb trigger. I tried it and hate it because I can't wrap my entire hand around the hoods. On the plus side, LTwoo mechanical levers do use the Shimano pull ratio.

LTwoo for electronic. No clunky thumb triggers. Easy to install and you can use any crankset, cassette (10/11/12 speed) and the hydraulic calipers are easy to align/service with generous pad spacing for disc alignment. This groupset is a game changer. For $350 USD I'm running a full 12 speed hydraulic disc electronic groupset. I believe all the kinks have been ironed out, though I'd highly recommend you use some sort non-permanent adhesive (I used rubber cement to keep the cable in place) and dielectric grease around the derailleur battery ports just in case of water ingress. Though I don't ride in the rain, I still did preventative measures. Also I picked up some high quality rechargeable batteries and you can even charge via powerbank with the USB charging cable.

Last edited by jonathanf2; 04-08-24 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-08-24, 11:52 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Being able to set an electronic groupset to run with any 10, 11, 12 speed cassette really is a game changer. Too bad they don't make rim brake levers, they would make a killing from people upgrading old bikes.
Likes For Yan:
Old 04-08-24, 12:23 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,046 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Being able to set an electronic groupset to run with any 10, 11, 12 speed cassette really is a game changer. Too bad they don't make rim brake levers, they would make a killing from people upgrading old bikes.
Then wait for the Wheeltop EDS TX. Same flexibility as LTwoo's groupset, but it's fully wireless, better weather proofing and it's available in rim brake. SRAM's patent on wireless derailleur communication is expiring this month. Wheeltop should be able to sell direct to the US, unless SRAM finds a way to block them. Though they use a fixed battery on the derailleur as opposed to removable. SRAM's patent on the removable battery is still in-effect apparently.

https://wheeltop.com/products/eds-bicycle-derailleur

Last edited by jonathanf2; 04-08-24 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-08-24, 12:30 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I have Shimano Tourney 3x7 shifters on my drop bar converted 80s mtb. I've been using them for about 5 years. They are great. I think there is a 2x7 version.
Old 04-08-24, 09:52 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Then wait for the Wheeltop EDS TX. Same flexibility as LTwoo's groupset, but it's fully wireless, better weather proofing and it's available in rim brake. SRAM's patent on wireless derailleur communication is expiring this month. Wheeltop should be able to sell direct to the US, unless SRAM finds a way to block them. Though they use a fixed battery on the derailleur as opposed to removable. SRAM's patent on the removable battery is still in-effect apparently.

https://wheeltop.com/products/eds-bicycle-derailleur
Thanks for sharing. Once these have a good number of post-release reviews, I'll likely pick up a set for one of my older bikes. I can take delivery in Europe so US availability is not an issue for me.
Old 04-09-24, 01:49 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Yan
Thanks for sharing. Once these have a good number of post-release reviews, I'll likely pick up a set for one of my older bikes. I can take delivery in Europe so US availability is not an issue for me.
Came across this, thought you might be interested

Old 04-09-24, 07:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

That wheeltop electronic setup is neat, but it's $800usd for shifters, brakes, FD, and RD.

$1040 gets a full Shimano 12sp di2 group- shifters, brakes, FD, RD, crankset, chain, and bottom bracket.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/s...ed-271682.html

Being fully wireless is great for converting an older frame to wireless, but that cost isn't really a selling point to me when for only $240 more you get a Shimano 12sp groupset with crankset, chain, and bottom bracket.
I would figure the savings would be better.
Old 04-09-24, 08:28 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
That wheeltop electronic setup is neat, but it's $800usd for shifters, brakes, FD, and RD.

$1040 gets a full Shimano 12sp di2 group- shifters, brakes, FD, RD, crankset, chain, and bottom bracket.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/s...ed-271682.html

Being fully wireless is great for converting an older frame to wireless, but that cost isn't really a selling point to me when for only $240 more you get a Shimano 12sp groupset with crankset, chain, and bottom bracket.
I would figure the savings would be better.
The issue with the Shimano di2 is that your frame needs to be able to handle wires to the RD, unless you want to run it external, however most older frames are not drilled for it in the chain stay, for example my 2016 Emonda ALR, but using something that is wireless, then it is not a concern.

Old 04-09-24, 08:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
The issue with the Shimano di2 is that your frame needs to be able to handle wires to the RD, unless you want to run it external, however most older frames are not drilled for it in the chain stay, for example my 2016 Emonda ALR, but using something that is wireless, then it is not a concern.
Agreed- I acknowledged this in the post you quoted.
Old 04-09-24, 08:31 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Agreed- I acknowledged this in the post you quoted.
Yea you did, my apologies.