Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Leader bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-22, 08:32 PM
htown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leader bike

What’s up everyone looking for help in regards frame size I’m looking to purchase a leader 721 frame but not sure what size would work for me I am 5’11 should I go with 54 or 56 thanks
Old 12-30-22, 08:52 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by htown
What’s up everyone looking for help in regards frame size I’m looking to purchase a leader 721 frame but not sure what size would work for me I am 5’11 should I go with 54 or 56 thanks

At 5'11'", I'd probably be looking at a 56 or 58, but good fit depends on more than just an overall height measurement. Do some research on what reach and stack numbers mean, and see if that helps narrow it down. You might want to ask in the Singlespeed/Fixed Gear subforum, where someone might own one.

Too bad they don't list the standover height, as that can be helpful as well.

Last edited by Rolla; 12-30-22 at 09:02 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-30-22, 09:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6971 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-30-22, 11:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Hopefully new Leader won't fall through the cracks. In terms of frame size possibly a 56 but really it comes down to testing it or knowing your measurements and being able to compare them to the actual geometry of the frame. I am the same height which means NOTHING other than from top to bottom we are the same but inseam and reach make a big difference. You could have really long legs or arms or really short legs or arms and that can make a big difference in fit.

I am guessing there probably aren't too many shops wanting to deal in Leader if they are even trying anymore I couldn't find a dealer locator but you could ask them and give them measurements and see what they say.
Old 12-31-22, 01:13 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I am 5'11" and when I was flexible back in my 20-30's the 56 is what I rode, albeit in a Miyata Pista track frame. Now that I no longer have the flexibility I ride a larger frame such as a 58-60cm.
Between the two in the 721 frame, it shows reach is 1/2 cm, but stack is a full 2cm, and for this old boy, 2cm in stack makes a world of difference. If competitive, the 56 is the choice, if it is a fixie for road use, the 58 is more logical.
BTW, reach and stack are bike fitting terms that you will need to be familiar with to help guide you in the frame size selection process.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 01-01-23, 03:00 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by htown
Wouldn't it help just a bit to know your actual cycling inseam? Stand upright with your back against the wall, take book or a 1" dowel and hold it firmly in your crotch (parallel to the floor), measure the distance to the floor. That is your cycling inseam and you can use that with any number of frame size calculators. Note that this is NOT your pants inseam, which is what a lot of people report for bike sizing.