Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Do you count trainer miles?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 07:33 PM
Redskin8006

Bikes: 2007 Schwinn Fastback Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For those of you that set annual mileage goals, do you count trainer miles? Just wondering.
Old 12-04-08, 08:15 PM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't currently have a trainer, but if you really use them as a work out you get the same cardio workout as being on the road. There are numerous work out strategies from climbing to sprint intervals.

If I lived in an area that practically forced me indoors for the winter I would think that well thought out trainer sessions would have to count for something.
Old 12-04-08, 08:20 PM
barndoor
5' 19"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't count mileage on the trainer.....just hours.....lots and lots of hours.....

...and also a 2006 R-14 66cm Waterford road bike, my former dream bike :)

Old 12-04-08, 08:24 PM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of hours. I ride the trainer with significantly more resistance than on the bike. So much so that 45 minutes in, I'm spent. It's just like spending all that time climbing up one big steep hill. So the mileage is useless.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 12-04-08, 08:25 PM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by barndoor
I don't count mileage on the trainer.....just hours.....lots and lots of hours.....
Apologies for the semi thread hijack.....

Barndoor, we need pics of your Waterfords in the "What do you ride" thread!
Old 12-04-08, 09:33 PM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I count the km's (the proper measurement...lol) I ride that trainer hard and think I've earned them k's enough to keep track of them.
Old 12-05-08, 12:02 AM
aenlaasu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't gotten a trainer yet, but I don't plan on counting the miles. The trainer is simply so that when we get better weather, I don't have to start off at 8 to 10 miles with gritted teeth again. I want to be able to hit the ground running for at least 30 and not a painful 30.
Old 12-05-08, 12:11 AM
Flatbroke

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No its not the same. Its kinda like taking a peek at your grandma while in the shower, sure you could do it but it ain't right.
Old 12-05-08, 04:52 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You can get a good workout on a trainer if you do intervals for 45 minutes. BUT HEEEEEL NOOOO it harder than riding on the road. I've climbed this mountain in 35 mph winds trying to maintain balance while the wind was trying to blow me off the bike, Swerving to avoid big rocks, trying to avoid cars flying up behind you, trying to maintain balance on the way down. Yeah, trainer, take your hands off the bars to change the tv with the remote, that's hard!

Cound the miles/time if you like, it's up to you. But on something like bikejournaldotcom, I have my settings coparing me only to riders with outdoor miles. I was once harrassed by a female rider on another forum cause my wife wore a tanktop on the bike (hey, it was over 100 degreees). She said 'real riders' wore jerseys. Of course I looked at her journal. She averaged 26 mph indoors in her living room during stormy weather. I'm really shocked she recorded the weather on her journal!..But anyway, on an outdoor ride, her average ride was only at 14 mph. That's a big difference from the 26 mph miles she claims on a trainer. That's another 12 miles every hour she logged!

Old 12-05-08, 06:00 AM
flip18436572
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I count the roller miles, as I use my Garmin 305 to track my heart rate and miles for my running and biking, and I have it setup with the option for cadence and speed tracking without the GPS, so it works fine indoors. My heart rate is what I base my roller workouts on, unless I am just out to do 20 miles really quick.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 12-05-08, 06:12 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding the trainer is certainly harder than riding a comparable distance on flat to lightly graded terrain. It certainly doesn't compare to workout you described above though. For Mr. Beans it is not a compareable workout as he thinks he must be part Billy Goat, for others it may be. You can't ride and glide on a trainer. Because of that a trainer workout on it's hardest resistance level is similar to riding up a slight grade. Toss in sprint intervals and yes you get a good workout.

It's what you make of the trainer work out, I say count the miles (and watch your rear tire, keep it at max PSI)!
Old 12-05-08, 07:45 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I've always included trainer and exercise bike miles. The reason is, once you start rolling down the slippery slope of implying certain riding on a bike isn't 'real', where do you stop? Do you stop counting commuting because it's utilitarian and often for short distances? If you want to see what you can end up with near the bottom of that slippery slope, visit the Touring Forum, which is filled with folks who want to draw narrow definitions to separate 'real' bike touring from the fake.

Old 12-05-08, 08:26 AM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually for a long time only counted commuter miles because it was miles I didn't drive and that was what was important to me. One more hour free on a bicycle.
I now count it all because I'm interested in getting how many hours of cardio I have. I have picked up the pace on my commuting or at least picked up the HR so it is now cardio
The only thing I don't count is exercise bikes or if I do I make the mileage entry based on my time and effort level not what it shows which seems completely random.

Edit: Go Skins!
Old 12-05-08, 08:30 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The purpose of the trainer is to get a workout, not to cover miles, so no. There doesn't seem much point in it.
Old 12-05-08, 09:26 AM
Caincando1

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, they don't translate. It's cheating, so I just count time.
Old 12-05-08, 11:27 AM
flip18436572

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Caincando1
No, they don't translate. It's cheating, so I just count time.
Why don't they count? It is a harder workout for me on my rollers with the same amount of miles. I can do a 20 mile ride on my highway route and burn 1200 calories and ride for 65 minutes. Or I can go ride for on my rollers for 20 miles and burn 1500 calories and ride for 55 minutes.

These are just examples from my Garmin software when I wear my heart rate monitor. I can ride slower on either 20 miles or faster, but these are just examples. I am not trying to start a war, just curious why you don't consider the miles to translate.
Old 12-05-08, 11:59 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
UMCA says that indoor miles can count.
Old 12-05-08, 03:06 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bautieri
Riding the trainer is certainly harder than riding a comparable distance on flat to lightly graded terrain. It certainly doesn't compare to workout you described above though. For Mr. Beans it is not a compareable workout as he thinks he must be part Billy Goat, for others it may be. You can't ride and glide on a trainer. Because of that a trainer workout on it's hardest resistance level is similar to riding up a slight grade. Toss in sprint intervals and yes you get a good workout.

It's what you make of the trainer work out, I say count the miles (and watch your rear tire, keep it at max PSI)!

Can't glide on a trainer? That's silly!....The mtn pic was just to show the difference of outdoor and indoor riding. C'mon, on the road one must balance, use the arms, be alert, watch for obstacles, fight the wind etc. On a trainer, you sit on your but and move the pedals, that's about it!..oh, besides switch the channels from Scooby Doo to Days Of Our Lives!

Yes, on a trainer, you can do intervals to make it tough. But do intervals on the road. Which would requires more attention and skill? Which is more demanding? Yes, good answer! Therefore the road is harder! On the road requires more coordination and skill, or you fall on your face. I can go to sleep on a trainer!
Old 12-05-08, 04:03 PM
flip18436572

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Can't glide on a trainer? That's silly!....The mtn pic was just to show the difference of outdoor and indoor riding. C'mon, on the road one must balance, use the arms, be alert, watch for obstacles, fight the wind etc. On a trainer, you sit on your but and move the pedals, that's about it!..oh, besides switch the channels from Scooby Doo to Days Of Our Lives!

Yes, on a trainer, you can do intervals to make it tough. But do intervals on the road. Which would requires more attention and skill? Which is more demanding? Yes, good answer! Therefore the road is harder! On the road requires more coordination and skill, or you fall on your face. I can go to sleep on a trainer!
Sorry, I ride rollers and consider them an indoor trainer. Rollers make you balance, use your arms, pedal continuously, because if you don't pedal you stop very, very quickly.
Old 12-05-08, 04:21 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently, I don't keep track of miles. I have three bikes I ride and only one has a computer. I do keep track of total miles to see how equipment is held up. The other two bikes are my commuter and MTB. I can ride my MTB for 3 hours and not cover many miles compared to the road, but have a good workout. My commuter is slower then my road bike, so I don't go as far in the same time, but the heart doesn't see a difference. Then there are the miles in spinner class, some of the hardest workouts I've had.

Comparing miles is like comparing speed, they are useful for the individual but don't translate well to compare to others. Differences in terrian, bikes, and intensity make comparing with others difficult.
Old 12-05-08, 04:26 PM
stripes

Bikes: 2004 Cinelli Supercorsa, 2005 Tommasini track, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1991 Fuso Cyclocross, 1991 Masi Team 3V, 1989 Serotta, De Rosa Neo Primato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only count time spent pedaling. Coasting is cheating
Old 12-05-08, 04:46 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm participating in the "Walk to Rivendell" and keep track of all mileage, no matter how I cover the miles, whether it's on Radagast the Beige-and-Black, on a treadmill, on an elliptical, on a stationary bike (only been on one of those once since getting Radagast), or on a charity 5K. Miles is miles. Count 'em.
Old 12-05-08, 05:07 PM
rcummings1

Bikes: Scott Road, Jamis, Tricross,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Cardiologist says I can count them. A mile is a mile as an hour is an hour. Doesn't matter how I get them as long as I get them. They count for me.
Old 12-05-08, 05:30 PM
Spiffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road, MTB, Rollers or trainer, It Doesn't Matter!! It is your goal !! You do not have to prove anything to anyone here. It is not my goal, or the goal of someone who claims they can outclimb the Space Shuttle. If your training plan/goal includes indoor miles on a trainer, then so be it. Go for it!

If you can't count the miles accumulated on a trainer, then I say you cannot count the miles when you're coasting down the backside of huge climb!
Old 12-05-08, 06:53 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Sorry, I ride rollers and consider them an indoor trainer.
Well then you know more than the guys at Performance cause they have them in separate categories, 'resistance trainers' and 'rollers'!

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=4120

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=4121

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.