Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park Tool Dag 2.2 - overkill for home use?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Park Tool Dag 2.2 - overkill for home use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-21, 07:37 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I should use mine more frequently. I was having shifting issues, thought the derailleur just needed adjustment, didn't have the time to deal with it, so I went on a couple more rides without doing it and lived with the less than perfect shifting until I dropped the chain on a hard effort and broke my rear derailleur.
Old 08-24-21, 08:03 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback folks. Looks like I'll be purchasing a derailleur adjustment tool. Woohoo new tools!
Old 08-24-21, 08:27 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
If you really are looking for a rationale to splurge on tools, sometimes the problem isn't that the derailleur hanger isn't properly alligned, but that the dropouts aren't aligned, which is pushing the derailleur hanger where it shouldn't be. Sure, you could just fix the derailleur hanger, but you could also do the job the right way and first make sure your dropouts are also aligned. So feel free to tell your budget that some random dude on the internet told you that you don't just need the derailleur hanger tool, but the dropout alignment tool too.
Old 08-24-21, 05:47 PM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
If you really are looking for a rationale to splurge on tools, sometimes the problem isn't that the derailleur hanger isn't properly alligned, but that the dropouts aren't aligned, which is pushing the derailleur hanger where it shouldn't be. Sure, you could just fix the derailleur hanger, but you could also do the job the right way and first make sure your dropouts are also aligned. So feel free to tell your budget that some random dude on the internet told you that you don't just need the derailleur hanger tool, but the dropout alignment tool too.
I tend to replace my tools periodically, especially precision tools. So have recently sold a few of my bike tools, including bb facing tool and the dropout and derailleur alignment tools. Instead of Park Tool, I purchased them from Unior this time.
They should be delivered any day now, exciting.
Old 08-24-21, 08:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4354 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
A good quality well designed tool is never a bad investment. Only rich folks have money for cheap tools.
Old 08-25-21, 09:17 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
A quick search of bike shops in my area shows the Park Dag 2.2 sold out in multiple locations. Looks like I am not the only one thinking of doing some home repairs.