Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A modern approach (sorta) to my old Team Fuji +Fausto Coppi content

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-22, 05:16 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts

Built up this beautiful Team Fuji a couple of years ago and then passed it on to another owner. Totally loved the yellow and blue paint scheme though.

This frame was one size too small for me.

Anyway, saw this frameset, did some bartering and today it arrived. It's in really, really nice shape with only a few small marks in the paint and no dings that I've saw. Campagnolo threaded headset and square taper BB installed. My plan is to use the basically brand new Ultegra setup off the Prologue TT I finally broke back down. But....that said.....almost be a shame not to put silver Campagnolo on this. Hmmmm, spend money or stick to the plan??

Frameset as I got it weighs 6 lbs 6 ozs. Taking in consideration of the headset and BB and the frame and fork comes in at 5 lbs, 5 ozs. Columbus Neuron tubing with lot's of unique shaping.

Another "non-standard" frame for the collection

Headtube is wedge shaped in the front.

Fastback, oval seat stays, brake bridge is hollow inside and open on the bottom.

Chrome is all in good shape

The maker of this one.

Flattened, triangular downtube that is oversized also.

Interesting crimped shaping on the fork blades also.

Looks like Continental 5000s 700 x 25 may be the limit on this. Pretty tight under the front bridge and then by the seat tube.

Sorry for the bad pics, just grabbing some quick shots with the cellphone. Anyway, just thought I'd put this teaser here. Too modern to share on this forum so I'll probably post the build elsewhere so as not to set off the purist.

Last edited by jamesdak; 05-02-22 at 06:32 PM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 05-02-22, 05:42 PM
MCHunt

Bikes: 2023 Trek Procaliber, 2019 Argon 18 Dark Matter, 2019 Argon 18 Gallium Disc, 2000 Steve Rex custom, 1993 Greg Lemond TSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 12 Posts
Coppi

Nice bike, it should look great!
Old 05-13-22, 12:19 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Pretty much put it together today. I'll probably run several different wheel/tire combo's on it to see what feels best. In fact I do have some Mavic Cosmics on the way that I'll try on this. Used a yellow Avocet saddle today to see mainly how a yellow one looks on it. Most likely I'll go with a blue Fizik though. The butt wins over what the eye likes, LOL!

Anyway one quick pic as I finished it pretty much up today. Left all the cables a little long until I make sure how I want it set up finally.

20 lbs 3 ozs once I put Keo style pedals on it.

Most likely this is the saddle that will wind up on it.

The Team Fuji it was built up to pay homage to.
Old 05-13-22, 01:04 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Very nice. I like the blue saddle with it.

Do you know what year that one is? I've got an all yellow Masciagi-built Coppi made with Columbus Genius tubing. It doesn't have all the fun aero tubing that your does, but the fork is the same.

I remember reading that the offset seat stays were very short lived because the UCI banned them, so I'm surprised to see another one with that feature but otherwise different.
Old 05-13-22, 02:48 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Beautiful bike and even more beautiful frame/fork set. I am green (yellow and blue = green) with envy.

I have to be honest in admitting that I found the yellow/blue theme to be not to my liking - at first. But it did grown on me and now I have to admit that I really like it on my Marinoni. Go figure...
Old 05-13-22, 07:29 PM
jamesdak 

Well I did a little 6 mile shakedown of this after putting over 28 miles on my GP&GS Lemond. As to be expected, the Coppi is one stiff frame! Too windy today to really make any other judgement about it. Bars felt too high but I did leave the stem up a bit for the first ride. Had cut the cable housings with the idea of lowering the stem in mind. Gotta go photograph an event tomorrow so I don't know if I'll have time to get it back out for a full ride.

Going to be shooting these cool little beasts racing tomorrow.