Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fake Legnano Badge?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fake Legnano Badge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-21, 02:09 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 545 Posts
Fake Legnano Badge?

I’m trying to help a gent ID his Legnano but the head badge seems wrong since all of the items I’ve seen are cast, not stamped. Serial number is CU**** (~1951) and it is the correct script, correct location and the seat tube has the infamous binder bolt.
Calling out some of the experts juvela randyjawa merziac

Last edited by RustyJames; 08-19-21 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Pic didn’t show
Old 08-19-21, 04:02 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3813 Post(s)
Liked 3,344 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

the expert you want to hear from is Mark Condorino
his forum visits seem infrequent
you might wish to email him at his web site

https://www.condorino.com

headset in photo is Way-Assauto

fork crown in photo is Agrati

---

Btw -

on a kind of side note...

there actually were some contract built genuine Legnano cycles

found me first one within the last year - clearly a Chiorda product

​​​​​​
​​​​​​

...and sold by the famous Lazzaretti shop of Rome no less!

will definitely look forward to reading what Mark has to communicate regarding your example

-----
Old 08-19-21, 04:27 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,385 Times in 3,670 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
I’m trying to help a gent ID his Legnano but the head badge seems wrong since all of the items I’ve seen are cast, not stamped. Serial number is CU**** (~1951) and it is the correct script, correct location and the seat tube has the infamous binder bolt.
Calling out some of the experts juvela randyjawa merziac

Whoa there hot rod, while I am flattered to be included with these two titans, I couldn't even walk through their shadows without being blasted off into the ether when it comes to this stuff.

Maybe on Merz's and there's plenty I don't know bout him as well.

FWIW, I could imagine the badge to be for real, maybe from a contract builder as the venerable juvela eludes to.

@Oldairhead and @Slightspeed

May also be able to help.
Old 08-19-21, 04:55 PM
RustyJames 

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

the expert you want to hear from is Mark Condorino
his forum visits seem infrequent
you might wish to email him at his web site

https://www.condorino.com

headset in photo is Way-Assauto

fork crown in photo is Agrati

---

Btw -

on a kind of side note...

there actually were some contract built genuine Legnano cycles

found me first one within the last year - clearly a Chiorda product

​​​​​​
​​​​​​

...and sold by the famous Lazzaretti shop of Rome no less!

will definitely look forward to reading what Mark has to communicate regarding your example

-----
Originally Posted by merziac
Whoa there hot rod, while I am flattered to be included with these two titans, I couldn't even walk through their shadows without being blasted off into the ether when it comes to this stuff.

FWIW, I could imagine the badge to be for real, maybe from a contract builder as the venerable juvela eludes to.

merziac - see, you know people and stuff.

juvela - good catch on the headset. The guy I’m attempting to help is on a Facebook page and has sparse photos taken from far away. There is a bit of the infamous green that can seen on the BB. I’ll see if I can get more photos.
Old 08-19-21, 05:05 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3813 Post(s)
Liked 3,344 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
merziac - see, you know people and stuff.

juvela - good catch on the headset. The guy I’m attempting to help is on a Facebook page and has sparse photos taken from far away. There is a bit of the infamous green that can seen on the BB. I’ll see if I can get more photos.
-----

the condorino web site is such a vast repository of information about the marque

would think most any question might be resolvable with its exploration

oh that we had such a resource for other marques!

-----
Old 08-19-21, 07:10 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Whoa there hot rod, while I am flattered to be included but.....
Ditto to that! I merely own three of this marque but it does not qualify me to any degree beyond that.

The badge looks legit to me and is the first one of that type that I have seen. Seems like it might be unique to a model or year since it has not made an appearance before. Perhaps it was a precursor to the better known metal badge that occured up until about 1970 or so.
Old 08-19-21, 09:38 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts

Since my name was mentioned in this post. Here's my $,02, maybe worth less than that. I've owned two Legnanos, a 1964 Roma Olympiad (had since new) and a 1961 Gran Premio (since sold). Both had the stamped brass badge. I will say that the badge you have closely resembles the gold colored decal on the seat tube of both the bikes I have owned. I don't have a picture handy, but can provide one of you need it. I have seen some Legnano with the decal similar to the downtube decal used as a head badge, but never seen one like your picture. It is a cool badge though. My neighbor from El Salvador says Legnanos were popular down there, so yours may have been made in or manufactured for another market. The propietary seat binder bolt says a lot.

Both of my Legnanos had this type of badge. Notice the Olmo head set on this 1961 Gran Premio.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 08-19-21 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-20-21, 06:14 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
Since my name was mentioned in this post. Here's my $,02, maybe worth less than that. I've owned two Legnanos, a 1964 Roma Olympiad (had since new) and a 1961 Gran Premio (since sold). Both had the stamped brass badge. I will say that the badge you have closely resembles the gold colored decal on the seat tube of both the bikes I have owned. I don't have a picture handy, but can provide one of you need it. I have seen some Legnano with the decal similar to the downtube decal used as a head badge, but never seen one like your picture. It is a cool badge though. My neighbor from El Salvador says Legnanos were popular down there, so yours may have been made in or manufactured for another market. The propietary seat binder bolt says a lot.

Both of my Legnanos had this type of badge. Notice the Olmo head set on this 1961 Gran Premio.
I love that some bicycle companies believed in form and function. That Olmo headset look like jewelry upon first glance. If it looks that great now, how did it look when it was bright and shiny new?
Old 08-20-21, 09:17 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
As long as we are seeing new Legnano badges, I found these on eBay Italia.

Last edited by Oldairhead; 08-20-21 at 09:31 AM. Reason: additional info
Likes For Oldairhead:
Old 08-20-21, 10:30 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Originally Posted by TugaDude
I love that some bicycle companies believed in form and function. That Olmo headset look like jewelry upon first glance. If it looks that great now, how did it look when it was bright and shiny new?
I don't think the Olmo headset was original to the bike, but it is a nice piece. My Roma came with a Campagnolo headset, which is also elegant, simpler, but a nicely done piece of road jewelry too.

Old 08-20-21, 10:32 AM
Slightspeed

Originally Posted by Oldairhead
As long as we are seeing new Legnano badges, I found these on eBay Italia.

Wow, very cool badges. Never seen most of those. Thanks for posting!
Old 08-20-21, 10:38 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I am pretty sure that the badge is legit. Though I prefer the later cut-out version...

...I have seen the OP's style before. As for the headset, I am surprised to see the Olmo offering. I would expect to see this style on that model and vintage...
Old 08-20-21, 10:47 AM
RustyJames 

Again, many thanks all. The gent I am in communication with is not in the USA. I haven't looked to see where he calls home but his posts are in Spanish so perhaps he lives in an area where the bikes were locally produced and badged differently. Out of mere curiosity I'll see where he lives and if he can send pics of some of the components.