Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hi from Portland, OR

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi from Portland, OR

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-22, 01:47 PM
fishyfishy123

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Team; 2011 CAAD10 5'; 1976 Viscount mongrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Hi from Portland, OR

I used to run a lot for exercise (9 marathons - fastest few in the 3:30s - nothing blazing), but I've been getting into cycling more as I get older. I enjoy that I can do some hard rides 5 days in a row without getting so many different sore/body aches if I were to do a similar effort running - the activities are definitely complementary though, and I'm not abandoning running. My timing getting into cycling is bad though as my second daughter was just born a few weeks ago - not a lot of time for long rides, but maybe this summer I can get in on some group rides and have some help figuring out my local long routes.
I currently have a old Viscount frankenbike (not original fork, don't worry), a fun and versatile 2018 Breezer Doppler Team, and Trek Electra cruiser for chilling with the family.
Old 02-27-22, 06:51 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
FF123,
Welcome to the forums. There are a lot of folks here that share your interests, I think you will find a very welcoming group to chat cycling with. If you choose there is a sub-forum devoted to TRI's.
All the best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 02-27-22, 07:37 PM
fishyfishy123

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks! I might check it out, though I'm a super slow swimmer.
Old 02-27-22, 09:57 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
tons of roads to ride on so its easy to avoid traffic. one fun route is over the Bellwood bridge and through the big cemetery a nice long climb

Old 02-27-22, 10:07 PM
fishyfishy123

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Oh yes, I'm very familiar with that! One of the few ways to that links up SW PDX with the rest of the city, so I climb it quite often. I keep hearing that there are great farm road routes - I might join Portland Velo this summer and go for a few rides to see what they do. Unless I'm going to some sort of trail/gravel road, I generally like to start my road bikes from home to maximize the time spent cycling when I'm away from the family. So I guess what I really want to do is figure out better rides from my doorstep, and that involves linking SW Portland to those farm road areas. I know it can be done, but I just have no clue what those roads are like and what intersections to avoid on a 30-50 mile route.
Old 02-27-22, 10:45 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Welcome. I ride mostly in the gorge area since I live that way. Interesting, my personal heatmap shows SW is pretty blank. I guess it's a little hard to get there.

Cheers
Old 02-27-22, 10:58 PM
fishyfishy123

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I haven't checked out the cool-looking Gorge Trail since it opened up, but I definitely want to. All my longer rides have been on the east side, too. Need to figure out my own backyard better.
Old 02-27-22, 11:32 PM
steelywheelie

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Welcome I’m new too.
Old 02-28-22, 09:05 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by fishyfishy123
Oh yes, I'm very familiar with that! One of the few ways to that links up SW PDX with the rest of the city, so I climb it quite often. I keep hearing that there are great farm road routes - I might join Portland Velo this summer and go for a few rides to see what they do. Unless I'm going to some sort of trail/gravel road, I generally like to start my road bikes from home to maximize the time spent cycling when I'm away from the family. So I guess what I really want to do is figure out better rides from my doorstep, and that involves linking SW Portland to those farm road areas. I know it can be done, but I just have no clue what those roads are like and what intersections to avoid on a 30-50 mile route.
I get on google and find places to go then map it out. I am in se and only ride a bike so I have to ride everywhere. farm land on this side is always rolling hills but usually fairly steep up and down. lots of drops down to the sandy and Clacamas river.
Old 02-28-22, 01:46 PM
fishyfishy123

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I get on google and find places to go then map it out. I am in se and only ride a bike so I have to ride everywhere. farm land on this side is always rolling hills but usually fairly steep up and down. lots of drops down to the sandy and Clacamas river.
I don't trust Google's bike route planner - it's tried to take me routes I know to be pretty crappy. Since I'm biking for exercise now, I'd rather bike a few more miles than go through dangerous intersections w/ no shoulder and semitrucks passing me at 40mph. When I rented in SE I bike commuted - it was great! Fond memories. 15%+ inclines on the daycare route means I'm stuck driving for foreseeable future.
Old 02-28-22, 02:06 PM
fooferdoggie 

I don't trust Google's bike route planner - it's tried to take me routes I know to be pretty crappy. Since I'm biking for exercise now, I'd rather bike a few more miles than go through dangerous intersections w/ no shoulder and semitrucks passing me at 40mph. When I rented in SE I bike commuted - it was great! Fond memories. 15%+ inclines on the daycare route means I'm stuck driving for foreseeable future.
I use ride by gps to actually make the map. I just find locations on google then make a map.15%? thats nothing try this.

Old 02-28-22, 02:14 PM
fishyfishy123

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I use ride by gps to actually make the map. I just find locations on google then make a map.15%? thats nothing try this.

Nice! I definitely wouldn't try to drag myself up that w/ my four year old in a trailer either ;-)
Likes For fishyfishy123:
Old 02-28-22, 03:17 PM
fooferdoggie 

Nice! I definitely wouldn't try to drag myself up that w/ my four year old in a trailer either ;-)
ya I have a mid drive e bike and even with that I have to do about 500 watts and full power to get up it. found another like it across from Oregon city wife and I just made it up it on our mid drive tandem and it almost took us out.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 03-02-22, 02:52 PM
lacorota

Bikes: Trek 2100, Trek Madone 5.5, Cannondale Touring 1 (T1).

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
steep ride?

Welcome to all. I'm curious where that image is. I Googled "steepest bike rides Portland" a few times and something resembling that popped up in the West Hills. Is that the one? If so, it exceeds 20% gradient if I remember.
Old 03-02-22, 03:03 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by lacorota
Welcome to all. I'm curious where that image is. I Googled "steepest bike rides Portland" a few times and something resembling that popped up in the West Hills. Is that the one? If so, it exceeds 20% gradient if I remember.
I need to ride it with my new karoo gps to get its grade. my garmin could not get it by the time I got to the top. I may do it this weekend. is only a mile and a half from my house but I don't go that way much. is like a 1.7 mile ride with about 1500 feet of climbing by the time your at the top 14 to 16% grades to get it it.
here is a house right there.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...4d-122.5499616
Old 03-02-22, 09:52 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Hello and welcome

Old 03-04-22, 09:45 AM
Thatkid

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Portland

Hey, I'm in Oregon to! Well If you are ever in the market for a $6800 Ritchey bike full fillet brazed by Tom him self. Let me know, lol. Anyways, welcome!