Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: ...
a
100.00%
b
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-17, 07:14 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
No, my issue is with silly pricing and a disappointing end product. thumpism thoughtfully posted the Odyssey in "Perhaps You Are Seeking This Grail or Opportunity" not "Wacky". I titled my rant as a rant with an explanation, however lame, of what precipitated my rant.

No, the stock parts are not particularly precious on the '84 Odyssey, and the RD and brake levers are rather lacking. I've changed much on my Lotus, but have respected the intended purpose of the frame. It's a primo Italian tubeset brazed in Japan, designed by guys in upstate NY. That opens doors on three continents for appropriate accoutrement. And whoever outfitted this Lotus Odyssey managed to pretty much choose all the wrong bits. They probably should let their significant other dress them too? Of all the off the shelf touring bikes I've ridden, and I think I've ridden them all, (though certainly not owned them all), it's the one I like the most. It's loads of fun loaded or unloaded.

Whoever built this out or modded this up evidenced no respect for the underlying design of the frame. It's not a mortal sin like grinding off a derailleur hanger and cable guides, more a venal sin.

I vented, and insulted no one on the forums, hopefully. I'm not interested in engaging in a discussion as to whether my expression of opinion was justified.
I didn't direct the price comment to you. You are welcome to whatever rants you want to make, and others are welcome to comment on them. In this case, I disagree with you and am offering another perspective. That's what we do here, we talk about bikes from different perspectives. Because the Odyssey isn't a well known, or much discussed model, some might even benefit from the disagreement.

I am not a novice to the Lotus Odyssey; an 84' blue/gold was my first "real" bike. I rode that bike everywhere...to school, across PA, work, weekend jaunts...you name it. I even "trained" on it while saving up for a roadie. It was always funny when guys would laugh at me on my 6 cm too big touring bike, and then they'd see the SL sticker. My recollections of riding it loaded were that it handled well, but it was several years before I had a comparison point. I had many, many thousands of miles on this exact frame, and even in this size (4-5 cm too big).

It is an odd duck for tourers because of the tubing, and weight, and I agree that it made an excellent do everything bike. Which is also why this application is really no sin. It's well suited to being a relaxed geometry around town bike (I actually love tourers as city commuters). I rather like the build. I've wanted this exact frame/color in a 56 for some time...and while his pricing is optimistic, I might have contacted him if it were smaller.

Lotus was, as I'm sure you're aware, an odd duck of a company, and they made some odd balls. I really like their Cyclone model, which might very well have been one of the best of its type made. The aero models are the most radical, and I think well executed, of the 80s craze. Beautiful frames (still kicking myself for not buying a pink one some years ago).

We see a whole lot of bikes modified for various purposes on this forum, and I've seen some that make a lot less sense than this one. I rather like weird builds m'self. My favorite do everything bike is probably one of the weirdest, ugliest bikes on this forum. But it works well for what it's supposed to be. I think that Lotus would work well for what it has been modified to be, and someone would be able to turn it back pretty easily. As you suggested, I'd likely chose some different parts going back to a touring rig (mix of deore and 600).

There are quite a few frames with tubing from country A., designed in B., and built/finished in C., but it does make them fun. Columbus SL was a bit of an odd choice for a full tourer.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 06-29-17 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-29-17, 10:11 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I composed the following before reading the last couple of posts. Rant on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So your issue is his asking price."

Value, not price. You read but do not comprehend.

This is the C&V forum, right? We're here because we love old bike crap and want more of it, and want to see it revered and treasured. I understand that everyone is different and I can't force my beliefs on that Lotus guy but what he did to that bike drastically diminishes the value of the machine to me almost regardless of the price. It has not been drewed and has not been stripped and repainted, so that is in its favor. I do not dispute that new wheels and a 1x10 drivetrain, the flat bars and new stem, probably a quill adaptor, and the rest of the stuff probably mean that if he sells the thing he needs to get $600 to get his money out of it, but I do not care about that. If I want that bike I very much want it with as much original stuff on it as possible, but as it stands only the frameset has value. I might even be willing to pay a premium for originality, and I'd be willing to wager machinist42 feels the same way. He also found the ad and did not post it, apparently too discouraged to do so.

Case in point: I'll sell you my Schwinn Cimarron for $600, about what it cost new in '85. I got it as a frameset when the store owner stripped the parts to build up a Mountain Klein for one of our customers. I took that frameset with its one remaining original part (Shimano headset) and built it up with the stuff I wanted on it, some of which I already had and some of which I purchased. I could have fitted it out with OE parts from various suppliers but did not. Now, if you're looking for a Cimarron you might be willing to pay $600 for a good one, and mine is, but mine is not original and I would not expect a purist to be remotely interested. The value for the buyer is not there, even if the price is not bad.

Rant off.

Last edited by thumpism; 06-29-17 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-29-17, 12:01 PM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Here's another optimistic priced listing on CL.

Columbus SLX, Shimano 600 tricolor / Campy mix. I'm wondering if the tricolor came on these? Never heard of the brand.

1991 Razesa Race Bike - 22" 56-57cm Frame Shimano 600 & Campagnolo - $799 (Herndon)
Old 06-29-17, 03:08 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 453 Posts
Shogun MTB-1 (Lugged)

Shogun mens 27" bike - $65 (Kempsville)

"Rides great..mens 27" bike..email. Or call 757-839-0402"

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/bik/6192132070.html
Old 06-29-17, 03:14 PM
Slybry

Bikes: 99' Torelli Nitro Express, 90' Miyata 414, 09' Guru Evolo, Eigthinch Scrambler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool late 80's Centurion with full Dura-Ace, if anyone is looking in the San Diego area.

1988 Centurion Le Mans 52cm with full Dura-Ace - $350

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/6198201502.html
Old 06-29-17, 04:32 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
54cm Colnago on Fairfield, CT (NY CL) Craig's List for $450. If it was a 62cm frame I would be trying to get a shot at it myself.
Old 06-29-17, 04:36 PM
CuttersRidge

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/r...198261841.html

Another Centurion, another looker, tall.

To me, the owner must have given it that paint job. Even with 11 photos, it's still a bit hard to get a firm idea of it except it obviously, does have quality and is in very good shape.
Old 06-29-17, 05:17 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by CuttersRidge
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/r...198261841.html

Another Centurion, another looker, tall.

To me, the owner must have given it that paint job. Even with 11 photos, it's still a bit hard to get a firm idea of it except it obviously, does have quality and is in very good shape.
Repainted Tange Infinity frame. Probably either an Accordo or a Sport DLX, at the low end of the food chain. Mish mash set of components. Seems overpriced to me.
Old 06-29-17, 06:43 PM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Would you buy this?

My sweetie has wanted a mixte for a while. Price seems out of line by a $100 to me.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/6175698606.html

Old 06-29-17, 08:49 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Bianchi Volpe for $200 on Hudson Valley (NY) Craig's List. Bike in Cold Spring, NY.
Old 06-29-17, 08:53 PM
cycleheimer

Originally Posted by eom
My sweetie has wanted a mixte for a while. Price seems out of line by a $100 to me.
. $75 or less sounds about right.
Old 06-30-17, 12:01 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

A Prelude In Crap Minor

Schwinn Prelude Bicycle - $100 (Chapel Hill)

"For sale(or.....Got AnyGuitars Or Similar Stuff?). Schwinn Prelude bike.
Other than needing new tires it is in very good condition.
I can be reached by calling(N0Texting) 9 one 9 - 5 Three 7 - 8 0ne 6 Three"

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/6198385634.html

(Tragically crappy pics, and what looks to be literally crap on the rear wheel. Chain's a fecal hue too. Turkey wings proudly flying. But there is obviously room for downward accommodations to a not unreasonable price for a blurry frame maybe looking okay?)
Old 06-30-17, 08:44 AM
CuttersRidge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Raleigh TI team colors in Madison, Mixte, still, likely overpriced and heavy but nice looking. $160, British made.

killer 1970's Raleigh World Championship lugged steel mixte frame. Made in England. Fast, light, dare I say sexy? Brand new singlespeed wheelset and tires. Brooks non leather saddle. Perfect blend of vintage looks and modern performance...... this bike flies. I live an hour North of Madison and Milwaukee but can deliver for the asking price. Pick it up yourself and save some cash. Texts work best.

---------------------

I would want shifting.

Below, $180, steep still; but probably a nice ride. St. Paul

-------------------

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/r...181056253.html

Centurion Cavaletto, built in Taiwan
17.5"(44cm) frame fits 5-2" > 5-6"
27" alloy wheels, 6 speed indexed shifting

Fully serviced and ready to ride,.. ALL service work and parts warranted for rest of 2017.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/r...181056253.html

------------

Maybe this is more like it. Old Centurion, old headbadge. Looks classic to me, maybe just lose that saddle, handlebars are fine. You could fix this one up pretty nice for the right person.

-----------

Centurian Super Le Mans - $125 (Minneapolis, St. Cloud)

https://stcloud.craigslist.org/bik/6192769128.html

Mixte Frame. 1976 Collectors Item. Used about ten times. Reduced price from $200. to go now.

------------------

IMHO, pretty darn nice. Maybe those are the original handlebars if this was hardly used but they look exquisite. Lovely paint, lovely color.
Old 06-30-17, 08:58 AM
CuttersRidge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
49cm Raleigh mixte city commuter - $100 (denver)

https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/6140373409.html

----------

A lot of nice Motobecane and Peugeot mixtes in most of these markets. Others too.

---------

Vintage Mixte Womens Frames at the Sacramento Bicycle Kitchen - $2 (1915 I Street

All Mixte frames (some have forks & parts) in the sale bin are $2.

Peugeot, Centurion, etc. Lugged, steel mixte frames.

While supplies last.

If interested, please stop by the Sacramento Bicycle Kitchen during our normal busines hours. We do not do holds. Cash only.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 6pm-9pm
Friday 10am-2pm
Saturday 12-4pm
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bid/6192968545.html

---------------

Sterling mixte bike - $35 (Seattle)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/6193930861.html

--------------

A Sutter Mixte in Seattle, looks nice. Saddle, handlebars, all appears French made, that saddle does not appeal at first but might be okay and comfortable. And relatively large for such a bike.

-------------
1970's Mixte Cruiser - 57cm Large Frame - New Tires - $160 (Seattle)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/6189920958.html

I am selling a French made Mixte that Measures 22.5 inches from center to center. Suitable for a rider measuring 5'7" and up...give or take.

Similar to a Peugeot and with some of the same qualities that were found on other road bikes manufactured in France during the bike boom era that started in the 70's and ended late 80's.

I have mounted new/unused 27" tires and test road the bike to and from the grocery store a few times. Everything works as it should. It could use a good cleaning and normal maintainance when needed.

Perfect for the summer sun!

190 bucks seems like a fair asking price....right? Message me and let me know you're interested in the bike and we can go from there.

Call, text, or email and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Available most days and and some nights. I try to avoid rush hour and prefer to meet somewhere centrally located.

Thanks!

---------------

Old Sutter from Tontonvelo. You don't see many of this brand.

Old 06-30-17, 09:10 AM
CuttersRidge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Vintage Jetter Mixte Bicycle - $50 (Brighton)

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/6165959977.html

----------

Campy parts in Kansas City, nice.

---------

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/6192669583.html

57" Razesa Mixte - $180 (Hyde Park KCMO)

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/6192669583.html

Vintage (circa 1975) mixte frame rebuilt with mostly modern parts. Nearly new tires, cables, and chain. Fairly lightweight for a vintage bike, a good size for someone 5'9" or taller, ready to ride and needs no work! Very unique bike in excellent condition. $180 obo

---------

Otherwise, mixtes are a limited market often and sometimes, such bikes are found also under keywords "mixties" or even "unisex"; we had someone selling one here under that.

Some nice offerings though.
Old 06-30-17, 10:57 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Spendy, Only Borderline Vintage, But Eye Candy...

Sancineto Italian Steel Road Bike. Dura-Ace 10 Spd - $1500 (Wilmington)

"I am selling a beautiful 1995 Sancineto road bike in excellent condition.
It was made in Italy by Italian bike maker Gianni Sancineto using Columbus SLX lightweight steel tubing. The shifters are Dura-Ace 10 speed, Dura Ace front and rear derailleurs, Dura-Ace brakes & Dura-Ace skewers. The wheels are lightweight American made Rolf Primas. It has an FSA Crankset, Thompson Seat Post, Selle San Marco saddle, Italian ITM handlebars and Ritchey stem. It has a carbon Easton EC 90SL fork. The Headset is Chris King.
Sancineto has their frames handpainted and detailed with gold paint in the frame lugs and engraved logos.

This bike is a work of art unlike anything you will see around. It is fast and the ride is amazing.

This Size is 54cm seat tube c-c / 55cm top tube c-c.

More info on Sancineto Bikes: https://utahrandonneur.wordpress.com/sancineto-bicycles/"

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/bik/6198853418.html
Old 06-30-17, 11:37 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Sweet SuperCourse With Bar Ends

Road Bike (59 cm) - $220 (cary)

"Vintage Raleigh road bike 59 cm
Great for local commute"

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/6199268416.html
Old 06-30-17, 11:44 AM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
Road Bike (59 cm) - $220 (cary)

"Vintage Raleigh road bike 59 cm
Great for local commute"

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/6199268416.html
Wow... nice. It's a really good thing it's not closer to me!
Old 06-30-17, 02:21 PM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sort of rough Raleigh Professional, $275.
https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/bik/6193361900.html
Old 06-30-17, 03:17 PM
MookieBlaylock

Bikes: 1990 Miyata 914, 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage Schwinn Prologue Bike Tange Prestige Cro Mo frame, collectible - $325 (Hayward, WI)

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...198611357.html

I hate pictures that show the non-drive side.
Old 06-30-17, 03:33 PM
Boondocksaints

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seven Cycles Titanium

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/bik/6182276708.html

Old 06-30-17, 03:35 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
So your issue is his asking price. Lots of optomistic pricing on CL, and often more crazy than this.

Not to get back to this, but that's extremely optimistic for RVA, at least double the probable local value.

Bigger frame, not a big name company (nothing against Lotus, I rather like them). A market that is largely student driven. Other than when VCU comes back into session each fall, there's very little premium for anything on the RVA market. I could stick up a Merckx Leader and get endless 300$ offers on it (I know because I have).

I'm not even sure he could get that much for an all original, unmodified one in that size. 400$ tops in the RVA market, and even that's a bit on the high side.

That said, the local and hopeful pricing really isn't worth getting upset about. Seller can ask whatever he wants. He'll either find a sucker, learn the error of his ways, post it forever, or give up.

You could also contact him and ask if he's got the original bits and adjust pricing accordingly.

I don't see a big deal here; it's just another overpriced bike on CL with questionable mods that no one in this room or RVA will pay for.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 06-30-17, 03:53 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
Not to get back to this, but that's extremely optimistic for RVA, at least double the probable local value.

Bigger frame, not a big name company (nothing against Lotus, I rather like them). A market that is largely student driven. Other than when VCU comes back into session each fall, there's very little premium for anything on the RVA market. I could stick up a Merckx Leader and get endless 300$ offers on it (I know because I have).

I'm not even sure he could get that much for an all original, unmodified one in that size. 400$ tops in the RVA market, and even that's a bit on the high side.

That said, the local and hopeful pricing really isn't worth getting upset about. Seller can ask whatever he wants. He'll either find a sucker, learn the error of his ways, post it forever, or give up.

You could also contact him and ask if he's got the original bits and adjust pricing accordingly.

I don't see a big deal here; it's just another overpriced bike on CL with questionable mods that no one in this room or RVA will pay for.
Yep. It's a bit overpriced, but, ultimately, who cares. Don't like it? Don't buy it. He replaced cheap, easy to find parts.
Old 06-30-17, 05:03 PM
CuttersRidge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jj1091
Sort of rough Raleigh Professional, $275.
https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/bik/6193361900.html
Sort of nice. To the right buyer, I'd go for it. Watch out for being a compulsive buyer as I can be but it looks good.
Old 06-30-17, 05:09 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/bik/6199330177.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.