Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Streets of San Francisco aka Death (fork?) of a Viscount

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-17, 10:11 AM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 61 Posts

On my walk to work downtown yesterday I saw a sadly typical San Francisco sight, a bicycle locked but pillaged and something about it caught my eye. Today I was able to stop for a moment and identify the remains. It's a Viscount. Does anyone think it worth a salvage attempt? Can anyone identify the fork? It looks original to my untrained eye, but I'm curious if it's one of the infamous "aluminium death forks". I was able to snap a few photos and it doesn't seem identical to those here ClassicRendezvous.com Lambert fork info.

Cheers & Happy Friday.

-Sean

Old 06-30-17, 11:14 AM
CuttersRidge

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
edit

Last edited by CuttersRidge; 06-30-17 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 11:17 AM
CuttersRidge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
edit

Last edited by CuttersRidge; 06-30-17 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 11:23 AM
CuttersRidge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
edit

Last edited by CuttersRidge; 06-30-17 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 11:23 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I once wrote into the "Ethicist" column at the NYTimes asking whether taking the abandoned bike I found was more akin to remediating a blight or "completing" the theft. I never saw the topic covered, and the bike disappeared a few days later, but not at my hands.
Old 06-30-17, 01:03 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Oh the irony...

Thanks @noobinsf and @CuttersRidge

I appreciate the info.

You know I find it ironic, or at least darkly appropriate that the fork recall was issued by Yamaha (I'm assuming they were the importers/distributors?) because Yamaha (a company near a dear to my heart because of their instruments and their motorcycles, both of which I love) kept the tuning forks as their corporate logo even for non-musical divisions.

So to see the three superimposed Yamaha tuning forks at the bottom of a fork recall notice made me chuckle.

Yamaha : The history of our logo

PS I also find it cool that Yamaha are still there, at the same address in Buena Park that issued that recall 40 or so years ago... and they still have those tuning forks on (albeit) new signage out front.

1916 Yamaha Logo with forks

Modern Yamaha Logo with forks

Last edited by CriticalThought; 06-30-17 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 01:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
There are two generations of the original fork.

The first was all aluminum, and prone to fatigue at the top of the crown (under the crown race). The initial fix led to the 2nd generation which had a steel pin extending a bit over 2" upward from the crown to reinforce the critical stress point, and/or act as a safety net it cracked.

The pin is visible at the bottom, and yours has it. Be aware, that while this fork fared much better, they still had failures, and ultimately gave up on the aluminum forks.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-30-17, 01:12 PM
CriticalThought

Thanks for the caveat and additional clarification @FBinNY !
Old 07-02-17, 06:05 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Yamaha bought Viscount Lambert . I don't believe they were the original importer. Somewhere on this forum there is a Lambert Viscount thread.

The bike in the photo doesn't look as if it was abandoned; it was locked with a pretty good lock; but it looks as if someone tried to steal some parts, and may have been stopped or gave up.
Old 07-02-17, 11:48 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
I also walk past that bike (nearly) everyday on my way to work and I put the blue tape on the fork blade that calls out "DEATH FORK" so that anybody who winds up with this frame has some warning, but yes it is the 2nd Gen so maybe a little "less deathly". I noticed it months back when it was a complete bicycle, watched it slowly get picked over to this half-carcass state...pretty soon the cops will come by with an angle grinder and take it to their warehouse. If you want to be a Proper Citizen you can try to claim it at one of the Police sell-offs that are talked of but I've never seen a notice for one. Be aware there MIGHT be a small crack at the seat tube top, I have not examined this frame carefully (usually hurrying to get to work) but something there caught my eye.
These frames CAN be pretty fine riders if you replace the fork and can get a workable (and TAPERED) BB into the un-threaded shell.

Last edited by unworthy1; 07-02-17 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-02-17, 06:49 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
Cut the lock and PM me. We'll get it back up and running. I LOVE my Viscount, 'death fork' and all.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 07-02-17, 07:31 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Actually, there are 3 versions of the Death Fork.

Old 07-02-17, 07:39 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
The SF bike street vultures will have that thing picked clean in less than a week!
I've seen bikes go through that sad process in the City so many times when I walk from the Bart station to my office, almost every week. In the end there usually will just be a rear rim and tire locked to a post left, as the thrives even cut off the spokes to get at the rear hub and FW......
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 07-03-17, 09:23 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

there seems to be a "thriving" business among several of the semi-permanent homeless encampments around town to run bicycle chop-shops out of the tents and lean-tos. I see dozens of half beaten frames and even more wheels littered around and usually some greasy guy pounding on something with a rock...life in the big city.
But in the case of this Viscount, the owner locked it (intact and with 2 wheels and saddle) to that post about 3 months ago and hasn't moved it since. Kind of a too-tempting of a lure for the vultures...surprised it's taken them THIS long to reduce it to the state that it's in.

Last edited by unworthy1; 07-03-17 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-31-17, 08:57 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Update (because so many care) this frame hung onto life for much longer than I'd have bet, it had been reduced to only the bare frame (some unlucky vulture actually stole the death fork and HS!) plus the crappy rear wheel and was being shifted around on the bike rack but nobody succeeded in breaking the Kryptonite U-lock. Until this week when a concrete contractor who poured some fresh patches on the sidewalk in this block removed that rack, poured and surfaced fresh cement and re-installed the rack...sans the frame. Probably went into a dumpster and not the Police warehouse.
Old 08-31-17, 09:34 AM
Kaminokaze

Bikes: Cevelo R5, Spyder Bike, Fuji Rubaix Pro,Gary Fisher Sugar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Update (because so many care) this frame hung onto life for much longer than I'd have bet, it had been reduced to only the bare frame (some unlucky vulture actually stole the death fork and HS!) plus the crappy rear wheel and was being shifted around on the bike rack but nobody succeeded in breaking the Kryptonite U-lock. Until this week when a concrete contractor who poured some fresh patches on the sidewalk in this block removed that rack, poured and surfaced fresh cement and re-installed the rack...sans the frame. Probably went into a dumpster and not the Police warehouse.
Oh, So Sad ending. I walked past it a few months back when this Thread was started. I guess it is like a good book. I now know the ending.
Old 08-31-17, 11:29 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
Interesting story, and funny that @unworthy1 and @CriticalThought both walk by the same bikes in SF.

In case you hadn't seen, there's a big warehouse where stolen bikes SFPD recovers are stored.

Inside San Francisco's stolen bike warehouse - SFGate

I only reported one of my three bikes stolen in SF -- that all happened in one year. SFPD didn't care much, and made it seem like I was wasting their time filling out the paperwork. It was a waste of time.
Old 08-31-17, 03:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
I once got a call from someone saying I should meet him at the train station, as he and others were scavenging from an abandoned bike. I didn't go, and I didn't appreciate the invitation. I am sometimes attempted to do it, but I never do. Even though the owner may not know or care, it would still be taking something that's not mine and is therefore wrong. There is an abandoned bike a block from where I live with a Shimano dynamo hub collecting rust. I'd like the hub, but I'm not going to steal it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.