Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lightweight Triple Touring Crankset

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Lightweight Triple Touring Crankset

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-24, 12:50 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
I'd say the drivetrain fad definitely has shifted to larger and larger cassettes, rather than chainrings below 24t.

I think the deore xt talked above in this thread is a great option. I've got it on my 90s MTB and it has the classic 42/32/22, or whatever, I can't remember exactly. Nice quality, shiny silver, not a boat anchor, and there are plenty of square taper cartridge bottom brackets still available.

Personally I agree with others, wayyy easier to go for 74BCD and change around the rear cogs to get the gearing you want, the look you want, and the low weight you want.
Old 01-29-24, 01:10 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Each time I see this thread bumped up it makes me wonder... Just out of curiosity... Have you actually rolled with 20 or 22 (or 24) tooth chainrings?

I'm full-on in favor of low gearing. But I also seem to recall a quote from Sheldon Brown- "sometimes it's just better to walk." For me- if I hit a hill with, say, 30 pounds- by the time I'm down to the 28 I'm going slow enough that it's more work to stay upright than it is to
Just today I was climbing in my 24/34 low gear on a hill that I’ve “cleaned” in that gear… and I had to get off and walk. Bear in mind, though, that it was my first “real” ride in about two months, I’m overweight, and I’m riding a recumbent so I can’t stand on the pedals.

The advantage of an 18-inch low gear is that you can climb 16 to 20 percent slopes with a load (as I’ve done) and keep going when the grade eases off. It’s a lot easier to shift up a gear or two than jump back on the bike after walking.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 01-29-24, 08:06 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Davinci cranks qualify as they have changeable spiders, including the option for a 110/58. I'm not sure how you order from them other than by direct contact

https://www.davincitandems.com/components/

Old 01-29-24, 01:04 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
How many of these cranksets are currently in production?

mid-compact and compact road cranksets exist largely due to the availability of small cogs - first 11t then 10t and now more recently even 9t

1x drivetrains are now standard equipment on just about every mid to upper level off road bike (similar to pictured above) - most 1x drivetrains include a downsized chainring - and in addition to the large cogs for climbing, small cogs are featured for top end
Old 01-29-24, 01:13 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by Piff
I'd say the drivetrain fad definitely has shifted to larger and larger cassettes, rather than chainrings below 24t.

the large cassettes featuring the large cogs for climbing most often also include a small cog for top end (9 - 11t) - and feature downsized chainrings

example above - 40t chainring with 10-42 cassette
Old 01-29-24, 05:24 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

the large cassettes featuring the large cogs for climbing most often also include a small cog for top end (9 - 11t) - and feature downsized chainrings

example above - 40t chainring with 10-42 cassette
Yes, but chainrings below 24t (heck, more like 30t) have been vacated nearly entirely in favor of large cassettes, like I said.
Old 01-29-24, 07:11 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by Piff
Yes, but chainrings below 24t (heck, more like 30t) have been vacated nearly entirely in favor of large cassettes, like I said.
yes - largely due to 1x (off road) drivetrains

30t (etc) chainring is common - no big rings like a 42, 44, etc … and these drivetrains largely made possible by the small cogs on those large cassettes … for the Stumpjumper in the prev picture 30t ring and 10-52 cassette
Old 01-29-24, 07:18 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I think I still have a 74 to 58 Avid Microdaptor that allows going down to a 20 tooth chainring on a 110/74 "old standard" triple. I used it for a few years in the 1990s, but since have been content with twiddling my 24s.

Avid microadapter with 22t chainring on an old XT crank
Likes For t2p: