Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cross-Check build - brakes compatible with both flat bars and drops?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 02:34 PM
polygon1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Looking at building up a Cross-Check. V-brake recommendations that I can use with both flats and drops? (I know I'll need different levers.)
Old 02-08-24, 02:55 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Standard v-brakes require a long pull lever to get enough cable travel to operate the brakes correctly. This rules out road levers. The answer is a short pull v-brake, which can be used with both road levers and short pull flat bar levers. The TRP CX8.4 is an example of a short pull v-brake.
Old 02-08-24, 03:06 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by polygon1
Looking at building up a Cross-Check. V-brake recommendations that I can use with both flats and drops? (I know I'll need different levers.)
I'd use cantilevers, then you can use any standard road lever, and short pull flat levers like the Tektro FL740.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 02-08-24, 03:16 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
Another vote for cantilever brakes. I run Velo Orange Grand Cru Zeste brakes on my Cross-Check and they work/look great. My first setup had drops with Campy 9-speed, then I recently converted to flat/riser bar with Grand Cru levers and it was a flawless switchover.
Old 02-08-24, 03:38 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 386 Posts
Since you know you’ll need different levers, any handlebar will work with either.
Old 02-08-24, 04:17 PM
polygon1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not categorically opposed to cantis, but I would prefer V-brakes.
Old 02-08-24, 04:17 PM
polygon1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Since you know you’ll need different levers, any handlebar will work with either.
I'd read that switching between flat bars and drops usually requires changing brakes – am I misunderstanding something?
Old 02-08-24, 05:02 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Tektro does, or did until recently, make road-type levers for drop bars. I have on a couple of bikes and they work as well as anything else.

Jim
Old 02-08-24, 05:46 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 386 Posts
I'd read that switching between flat bars and drops usually requires changing brakes – am I misunderstanding something?
Levers, yes. Brakes, no.
Old 02-08-24, 06:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
The only V-Brakes on the market are made by Shimano and those are all long pull brakes. If you want a different linear pull brake that is not a Shimano trademark I would suggest Paul Mini Motos for a short pull experience or Moto Lites for a long pull experience. TRP also makes a short pull mini linear pull brake.

I would however suggest something like either the Corner bar to go to "road" bars or stick with something like the Velo Orange Crazy Bar or Moloko Bar and then you don't have to convert and you can stick with long pull stuff and enjoy life. I am not saying that drop bars are bad but if I know I want to convert and might want to do it more often and don't want to a fiddly system the Corner bar is a perfect conversion and the VO Crazy Bar is perfect for a one bar solution.
Old 02-08-24, 07:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Are you using brifters? If not, V-brake road levers are easy to get. Tektros. I don't know offhand what the V-brake models are but they are not hard to find. Pretty sure the Tektro website will spell out the model numbers and any shop can get them.

Edit: you can also use regular levers/brifters with "Travel Agents", a simple device that converts high force/low travel cable pulls from the regular levers to low force/high travel cable pulls for V-brakes. Never done it but have known of many who swear by them.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 02-08-24 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-08-24, 09:45 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Not categorically opposed to cantis, but I would prefer V-brakes.
Dia-Compe 287-V brake levers:
https://www.rivbike.com/products/bra...near-long-pull

They pull the right amount of cable for V-brakes. I’ve used them and they’re dandy.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 02-08-24, 09:48 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
I found the shape of the hoods to be rather uncomfortable with the Tektro long pull drop bar levers. Otherwise they do their job fine. If smaller hoods with a more old-school feel sound appealing, the Dia-Compe 287v are worth checking out.

Travel Agents are a great solution, they let you use a v-brake/linear pull brake with any short pull lever. One of the best feeling brake setups I've had on a bike had a Travel Agent as part of the equation, though the Dia-Compe SS-5 levers deserve most of the credit.

Edit: If the plan is to regularly swap between drops and flat bars, and you pick the Travel Agents, you might want to grab a pair for each set of bars, otherwise you will likely wear out your brake cables quicker by feeding them through the Travel Agent multiple times.

Last edited by Arrowana; 02-08-24 at 09:54 PM.