Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Clyde Checking In - Thinking about bikes

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-13, 11:50 AM
crandress 

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1953 Terrot

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts

I am not totally new to cycling or the forum, but thought I would check in here since I qualify. I am about 275-280 and only 5'8". I had lost about 17 lbs and decided to get back into cycling. Did it a lot in my youth, had a racing bike, switched to a touring bike, which I build up and still have (Mercian Vincitore) as well as mountain biking. Still have my '91 Bridgestone MB-3.

A couple years ago I bought a comfort bike, thinking it would be great for riding and getting me back on the bike. I didn't really ride it much, but have been this year. Don't really care for it. Too upright, hate the shocks - seat post and fork. Not sure about the spung saddle, but it is a little big.

So I have been considering a cross bike (Surly Cross Check, Soma Double Cross, Jamis Coda, Specialized Crossroads or Trek FX), touring bike (Surly LHT, Trek 520), or randonneuring type (Riv Sam H, Soma San Marcos, Velo-Orange Polyvalent). I could update my Mercian for wider tires with new wheels and a triple crank. Confused with all the possibilities. Think I need to go ride some bikes to get a better feel. Opinions on what I should try are welcome.

I figure a touring bike is more my style long term but can be strong for me now. I would like to do long rides comfortably and maybe light/credit card touring. No camping touring. So the touring or randonneuring bike sounds good for this. Though a cross type bike may be a better stepping stone for getting in shape? I know the way upright position and shocks on the comfort bike are not great for me. I am not afraid to work on or even setup my own bike, so building up a bike does not scare me. I have lots of specialize tools and a park repair stand. I won't build wheels however.

Anyway, I wanted to check in and say hi. Any advice would be great.

Thanks - Chris

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 06-22-13, 04:24 PM
phread59

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say look at the Cross Check and Double Cross. Both are designed for light touring. And should hold up just fine for you.

Mark Shuman
Old 06-22-13, 05:20 PM
crandress 

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1953 Terrot

Originally Posted by phread59
I'd say look at the Cross Check and Double Cross. Both are designed for light touring. And should hold up just fine for you.

Mark Shuman
Thanks Mark!

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 06-22-13, 05:43 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why not ride the Mercian? Great bike, at least as good as any of those you've mentioned. You could equip it with a complete new groupset, if you wanted, for a lot less than you'd pay for a new bike. I'd guess it was equipped with 28 or 32mm tyres? In which case, there's no particular reason to go wider, imo.
Old 06-22-13, 05:53 PM
crandress 

Originally Posted by chasm54
Why not ride the Mercian? Great bike, at least as good as any of those you've mentioned. You could equip it with a complete new groupset, if you wanted, for a lot less than you'd pay for a new bike. I'd guess it was equipped with 28 or 32mm tyres? In which case, there's no particular reason to go wider, imo.
Yes, that is a thought. I need new wheels though, which is certainly doable. I bought the bike used in 1994 or 1995 and put my Campy racing wheels on it, because I had them. Rims are about as narrow as you can get. 25mm tires max. I could probably use 28mm, but would like 38mm or 42mm, and unlike many newer bikes, it looks like I could do either with room for fenders. I think it might have been built for 27" wheels originally, so some extra room. I have a another set of Campy Record freewheel hubs I can have built up or I can purchase a new wheelset with 130mm spacing. Not too worried about pulling it out 4mm. So that is on the table. It is a cool bike and other than not having a sloping tube, I measured it and the dimensions are close to that of a Trek 520. The only other issue is lack of eyelets. Only one on the front and maybe the back as well, so if I put fenders on, not sure how to get racks on.

Thanks - Chris

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 06-22-13, 06:02 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I was in your shoes last year. It came down to either the Trek 520 or the Salsa Casseroll. I went with the Salsa as I didn't think I needed a full touring bike. No regrets.

The Casseroll is no longer available, but QBP makes a very similar bike, the All City Spacehorse. Give it a test ride, if you can find a Salsa, Surly or All City dealer near you.
Old 06-22-13, 06:04 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's generally possible to fix a rack using p-clips. And if you are only planning light touring you wouldn't need a rack for the front. Alternatively, dispense with the racks altogether and tour with a carradice or other capacious saddlebag and a bar bag. As you say, if it was built for 27" wheels clearances aren't going to be a problem. The only thing to be careful of is making sure the brakes have enough reach to operate satisfactorily with 700c wheels.

Seriously, that Mercian is a classic. I'd certainly be riding it if it were mine.
Old 06-22-13, 06:35 PM
crandress 

Originally Posted by chasm54
It's generally possible to fix a rack using p-clips. And if you are only planning light touring you wouldn't need a rack for the front. Alternatively, dispense with the racks altogether and tour with a carradice or other capacious saddlebag and a bar bag. As you say, if it was built for 27" wheels clearances aren't going to be a problem. The only thing to be careful of is making sure the brakes have enough reach to operate satisfactorily with 700c wheels.

Seriously, that Mercian is a classic. I'd certainly be riding it if it were mine.
Duh, I had not even thought of P-clips. No issue with the brakes. I rode the bike with those wheels and brakes after I purchased it in the 90's, but have not ridden it in 15+ years. I don't actually know it was build for 27", it may just have massive amounts of room because that's the way it was designed. It is an awesome bike. Part of me wants to keep it all campy super record, but then I probably would not ride it much. So maybe I buy new wheels and a triple crank, along with bar end shifters. I would like to raise up the bars, so a new stem too. If I decide I don't like the setup, I can buy a Soma Double Cross and use the new components there.

Chris

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 06-22-13, 06:44 PM
crandress 

Originally Posted by MRT2
I was in your shoes last year. It came down to either the Trek 520 or the Salsa Casseroll. I went with the Salsa as I didn't think I needed a full touring bike. No regrets.

The Casseroll is no longer available, but QBP makes a very similar bike, the All City Spacehorse. Give it a test ride, if you can find a Salsa, Surly or All City dealer near you.
Yeah, I saw the Spacehorse too. I need to go ride some of these. May just upgrade the Mercian first, though I keep watching Craigslist for any of the ones on my list. If I can get a good deal, that is always nice.

Chris

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 06-22-13, 06:52 PM
MRT2

Others I have seen this season that I would consider myself but for my recent purchase are, Jamis Bossanova, Jamis Satellite Comp, and Surly Pacer.

But keep your eye out for others. Lots and lots of bikes on the market, almost too many for one individual to test ride.
Old 06-22-13, 06:54 PM
crandress 

I know it, it can drive you mad. And as for Craigslist, I see a lot of deals, but am short, so most bike are too big.

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 06-22-13, 07:21 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by crandress
I know it, it can drive you mad. And as for Craigslist, I see a lot of deals, but am short, so most bike are too big.
5'8" is short? From a bike buying perspective, I imagine there are more bikes out there for someone your height than there are for someone 6'4".
Old 06-22-13, 11:51 PM
crandress 

Originally Posted by MRT2
5'8" is short? From a bike buying perspective, I imagine there are more bikes out there for someone your height than there are for someone 6'4".
I have short legs for my height, so a 50-52cm frame is what I need for a standard road bike. They are out there, but the bikes I am looking for never seem to be my size.

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 06-23-13, 12:42 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Even a carbon fiber road bike can be used for credit card touring but in the group of bikes you mentioned I'd be a fan of the Trek 520. I think it's a very versatile bike that is much more lively than the others in terms of daily riding but very capable of touring.