Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

GUB computer mount - has anyone tried one?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

GUB computer mount - has anyone tried one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-17, 05:39 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by cydewaze
@SethAZ, thanks for posting those pics. It's too bad that the stem bolt mount design doesn't include some sort of adjustability. Like maybe a knurled hinge that you could tighten once you got the comp/light at the desired angle.
I hear ya. I actually quite like the simplicity of this design. Thing is, this is officially a GoPro mount on the bottom, and it would fit a GoPro just fine. The one I got was the shortest one I saw, and I thought it might fit the NiteRider light as-is, but was wrong. There's a longer version of this same exact model that would fit the NiteRider light very well. I went with the shorter one because it would keep things as compact as possible.

There are a bunch of these combo mounts from different companies, including the GUB mount that the OP was asking about. Obviously the K-Edge will work just fine, but it's also something like $64, and attaches to the handlebar. I have nothing against it attaching to the handlebar, and probably a lot of people would prefer it so they don't have any anxiety about their stem plate. The stem plate design appeals to me because of how simple and clean it leaves the cockpit of the bike.

ETA: one more reason I'm trying to avoid a handlebar-mounted combo unit is that I'm considering picking up some Shimano Di2 remote shifting buttons and mounting them on the back side of the handlebar up next to the stem so I can shift with my thumbs whilst riding the tops. It would be a nice convenience, and something that would actually do something with Di2 that mechanical shifters just can't.

Last edited by SethAZ; 11-27-17 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-06-17, 08:03 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well my mount finally came, but I had a few issues.

First off, there were no screws included to mount the Gopro attachment to the mount.
Second, the Gamin mounting ring cracked the second time I tried to attach the Garmin to it. This part is *very* low quality, and I'll probably end up cannibalizing another mount to try to fix it. For now, I've wrapped the ring with a zip-tie that I've super-glued to the ring. The Gamin stays put when attached, but I'm not sure I want to be zooming down a bumpy road like this.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 12-13-17, 12:44 AM
Nash Deluxe

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cydewaze
Well my mount finally came, but I had a few issues.

First off, there were no screws included to mount the Gopro attachment to the mount.
Second, the Gamin mounting ring cracked the second time I tried to attach the Garmin to it. This part is *very* low quality, and I'll probably end up cannibalizing another mount to try to fix it. For now, I've wrapped the ring with a zip-tie that I've super-glued to the ring. The Gamin stays put when attached, but I'm not sure I want to be zooming down a bumpy road like this.
Sorry to here that. Is the model you purchased the same as the one I posted? I received mine in retail packing with all advertised pieces included. I've mounted my Garmin hundreds of times and there's still a reassuring click everytime I put it on.
Old 12-13-17, 05:34 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nash Deluxe
Sorry to here that. Is the model you purchased the same as the one I posted? I received mine in retail packing with all advertised pieces included. I've mounted my Garmin hundreds of times and there's still a reassuring click everytime I put it on.
Yep! It's the same one. This is what it looks like now. The clear tape in the center is to keep the Garmin from rattling, which it probably does because of the cracked mount. That and the zip tie seem to keep it in place... for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20171213_182850.jpg (1.18 MB, 51 views)

Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 12-13-17, 11:32 PM
Nash Deluxe

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Bummer. Probably a long shot, but you could try contacting Gub directly (gubchina.com or maybe their facebook page) and see if they'll send you a new garmin plate. If they agree maybe you'll receive it in a couple of months
Old 02-28-18, 09:15 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, I ordered one of those replacement mounts from GUB, but it's Aliexpress, so I might die of old age before they arrive.

So I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I had an extra one of these:

So I trimmed the four "ears" off of it, ground the bottom flat, then drilled two holes in it to match the GUB. It works great, and it's a VERY solid connection because the two screws butt up against the bottom of the Garmin.

Took a ride yesterday and it's great, and the GUB makes a very stable GoPro mount, so I got a good vid.

When the replacement mounts arrive from GUB, I'll have spares.

Old 02-28-18, 09:53 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Three months, parts missing, broke the second time it was used, had to jury rig parts from another manufacturer...

I don't know. Seems like an exercise in patience. I would have given up long ago.

-Tim-