Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot UE-8 or P8 kitted out as tourer?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-22, 11:37 AM
Yoss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Pictures are in my profile. Unfortunately, I don't have enough posts to put them here yet.

From what I can find, this appears to be an '85 frame. I can't find any information on how late the UE-8s were made but they seem to all be 70s bikes and not from the 80s. I was thinking this could be fun for some touring and bikepacking. I'm curious about the P8/UE-8 distinction as some of my reading indicates that the UE-8 gearing was typically not quite as suited for climbing as other models. I'm also hoping that as an 85 model, that it might be more standardized when it comes to potential part swaps?
Old 06-10-22, 07:42 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Here you go.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 06-10-22, 09:07 AM
Yoss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks, dweenk. For others that may be looking and can help to possibly ID this better the photos are larger than what this one is showing up.

Does anyone have any idea if the UE-8 models were still a factory option into the 80s?
Old 06-10-22, 11:11 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
It looks like it most closely matches items in the 1985 catalogs for USA or France, but neither is an exact match. USA has one like it but with no fenders or lights. The French catalog looks like the closer match with those items, but downtube shifters. In any case, the color scheme looks like 1985.
Old 06-10-22, 12:40 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
It looks like it most closely matches items in the 1985 catalogs for USA or France, but neither is an exact match. USA has one like it but with no fenders or lights. The French catalog looks like the closer match with those items, but downtube shifters. In any case, the color scheme looks like 1985.
I agree. I think Peugeot used standard threading at that time.