Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bent and straight forks

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bent and straight forks

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-22, 09:18 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Watch this fork flex. Imagine how much more it flexes when mostof the rider's weight is on it. Imagine 205lb Gugie vs 160lb Jan Heine.

From Rene Herse blog.

@JohnDThompson, do you have a link to Jan's straight vs curved fork testing? I could not find it.
Old 07-07-22, 11:09 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie

@JohnDThompson, do you have a link to Jan's straight vs curved fork testing? I could not find it.
to save John the trouble of digging it up, I did check the index of articles. It's in issue #23, volume 6, number 3.

The key results are on page 25....
edit: although this is just fork flex in general. Was there an article on straight vs curved? Might have to look again.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-07-22, 12:02 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
A bent fork accepts the force as a deflection. A straight fork is trying to compress. It takes more force to compress a tube than to bend it too the side.
Right.
Flexing absorbs energy.
But both forks take the same input/impact force. The curved fork absorbs some of the force and transfers the rest to the headset and into your arms.
The straight fork doesn't flex and transfers essentially all of the force into your headset and your arms.
Forks with elastomers or something have other means of absorbing some of the impact.

You could do an experiment where you measure the resultant force at the top of the head tube from a given input force on the fork dropouts to verify this.
I don't know if it's enough to make a difference in hand feel or headset life, but it exists.
Old 07-07-22, 12:11 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
IIRC, it was Colnago's marketing department that promoted straight-blade forks in the late 80s to early-90s. I suspect it was done mostly to eliminate a manufacturing step (raking the fork blades) and thereby sightly reduce the cost of production, more than anything else. With carbon fiber forks, this isn't an issue, so the blade shape choice is simply cosmetic.

Jan Heine did a comparison of straight and curved fork blades and decided that curved blades offer slightly better shock absorption than straight blades, but were otherwise quite similar.
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Right.
Flexing absorbs energy.
But both forks take the same input/impact force. The curved fork absorbs some of the force and transfers the rest to the headset and into your arms.
The straight fork doesn't flex and transfers essentially all of the force into your headset and your arms.
Forks with elastomers or something have other means of absorbing some of the impact.

You could do an experiment where you measure the resultant force at the top of the head tube from a given input force on the fork dropouts to verify this.
I don't know if it's enough to make a difference in hand feel or headset life, but it exists.
And yes, no straight vs curved fork blade comparison that I can find from Jan.

Flexing stores energy (it's a spring), less heat losses (essentially zero in this case)

Straight forks do flex.
I don't have any straight bladed forks, if anybody wants to take a short video replicating the one from Rene Herse I posted above we'd have proof in a picture (video, actually)

From my ancient and half forgotten understanding of first princpals of mechanics of solids and materials that are used in forks, everything else being equal, a curved fork will flex the same as a straight fork. My spidey sense tells me this is a simplfiication, but it's "close enough" that most people wouldn't notice a difference.

Last edited by gugie; 07-07-22 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-07-22, 12:26 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 383 Posts
Here's a test on Sheldon Brown's site

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/..._forktest.html

If I'm reading it right, the straight blade Colnago fork has the same deflection as the Merckx and Schwinn Paramount (Waterford).
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 07-07-22, 12:29 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Looking through the BQ glossary of article.... https://www.bikequarterly.com/glossary/ ... I didn't find anything new.

Looking through issue #23 again, the article on fork flex does show an illustration comparing straight to curved forks, but it's an argument that curved flexes more, but without any data.

Steve in Peoria