Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Building a 29er

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Building a 29er

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-12, 10:33 PM
Trekathlete

Bikes: 2006 Trek 1500, 1998 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro, 2011 Cervelo P2, 2017 Fuji Beartooth 27.5+, 2016 Scott Foil Team Edition

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Building a 29er

I came across a site while looking for information on 29ers and they supposedly used to have a form to fill out, that they would use to figure out what type of bike you should build for yourself, depending on your weight, height, level of experience and so on. I am not really sure what was all on their survey but seemed like a cool deal. Here is a link:

https://www.29eronline.com/bob-builds-bikes/

So basically since they aren't accepting any applications at this time I thought I would try this forum and see what kind of ideas I can spark up for myself.

I am 5'7-5'8 about 150lbs. I would say I am a moderately skilled rider but on some serious terrain I still could use a bit of experience. Right now I have a 1998 Stumpjumper m2 Pro that I got off craigslist last year for a steal and actually love it a lot but it is outdated and a bit of a rough ride and it has v-brakes which can make my hands tired quite fast on some descents. Plus I think it is a size to big for me and my back starts to ache after being on it for a while. I also have a TT bike and a road bicycle which both have ultegra components, not the best but definitely a far cry away from the worst, which is what I will be looking for in a 29er as well. I haven't really decided on a HT or a FS. I know FS will be more expensive but I think it would be a better investment for the comfortable ride and for the years to come. I would have to learn how to adjust the rear shock properly for sag and whatever else you need to adjust on them. I haven't really read up on that type of tuning including the proper front shock setup. I don't know what type of budget I would be looking at except I would like to keep cost down hence not the top top of the line componentry. I'd like to slowly piece items together, starting with the frame so that its not one big purchase either and it will give me a chance to learn the ins and outs of my bicycle so i can fix anything that may go wrong or need fixing myself.

I hope this helps and if you need any more information please feel free to ask. I will check back on this forum regularly to see replies. Thanks in advance!!

Thanks,

TrekAthlete
Old 07-18-12, 07:23 AM
ncfisherman

Bikes: Canfield Yelli Screamy, Pivot Mach5, Specialized Roubaix, '65 Hercules, '79 Schwinn Stingray Lil Chic, '68 Schwinn Stingray Fastback, '89 Specialized Allez Epic, '86 Battaglin World Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were to have only one mtb, it would definitely be FS. FS bikes are so efficient these days, that there is not much drawback. It will allow you to ride longer and faster through rough terrain - being 150lbs, I'm guessing you are up for a nice long ride. You could also look into a steel(or Ti) framed hardtail which would be comfortable for longer rides.

I would suggest atleast throwing a leg over a few 29er FS bikes before you decide on something. For me, having owned a few FS 29ers(and tried others), they just didn't work out. I'm back on a 26 for my FS bike and have two HT29s. Being 5'9" and not having a abnormally strong upper body, I felt like the 29er FS were just too much work to throw around. I could still ride everything I normally do, I just had to go about it differently - mainly plowing through stuff instead of being able to pop off/over obstacles. I think it comes down to the extra weight up front combined with the longer chainstays of most FS29ers. That said, a bike like the DeVinci Atlas 29 has me interested in possibly giving the FS29 another go, though a 650b FS bike will probably be next for me.
Old 07-18-12, 10:01 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That is a really good opening post, quite a bit of useful info in there. Te right FS bike has basically reached a point where there is almost zero downside other than weight because pedal bob and brake jacking is minimized... but they cost more than a hardtail bike. I you can afford/justify a good FS bike, do it. However, if you are spending less than some certain amount it often becomes better to get a HT bike than FS due to suspension design and components.

Here's a few quick hits to think about:
- at 5'7.5" you are on the edge, by some opinions, of riding a 29er. I would strongly consider 26". I'm building a 26" FS bike right now, and I'm 6'0".
- the US is going 29er crazy and you can often find good deals on 26".

- ask about vendor- or bike shop-sponsored demo days or bike rentals. MTB rentals can be quite expensive, because the bikes can get some considerable wear & tear, but it helps to buy the right bike. I'm talking about riding on trails. demoing a MTB in a parking lot is very low value.
- you can also ask around who has a given bike and ask them about it, or maybe even ride it. personally, I wouldn't ask a stranger unless they offered a demo ride.

- the fork is the most critical piece of equipment on a suspension bike. try some bikes with cheap, mid-priced and higher end forks to see the differences.
Old 07-18-12, 10:11 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
also, since the title is "building a 29er", regarding build vs buy:

if you're buying all-new you can almost never beat the package price of a new complete bike that is on sale. you can sometimes beat MSRP, especially if you're willing to go grey market on ebay. (buying stuff from china and taiwan that bypasses US distribution and possibly even the manufacturer.)

where building really pays off is if you have some existing stuff you're going to re-use, or if you're buying a major item used. if you buy a used frame and fork, you've potentially saved a boatload of money. it's the same type of savings as buying a complete used bike.
Old 07-18-12, 10:58 AM
TacomaSailor

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix road bike, Stumpjumper Comp hardtail, Trance X2 FS mountainbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In February 2012 I switched from a HT 1999 Stumpjumper M2 to a FS Giant Trance X2 (i.e. they are both XTR equipped). I have been riding mountain bikes since 1981 and have had the Stumpie since new. I am a moderately skilled rider who is losing his nerve as he approaches Medicare.

I love the comfortable ride on the Trance and the ability to ride some really rough terrain with a lot of control. I rode the Trance over a thousand of miles between early February and late June - all of it in San Diego county and all of it on pretty technical single track. Lots of big rocks, big drops, sharp little creek beds, and really steep rocky climbs. The suspension works exactly as advertised.

However -

I am now in the Pacific NW for the cooler summer and am riding my old Stumpjumper HT more than the Trance FS bike. In the very tight and narrow, windy, single track where the path between the trees is often only inches wider than the handlebar, and there is a 150 degree turn every 20 yards, I like the agility of the Stumpjumper. I also like the lightness and quickness of the HT Stumpie on many of the long fire road climbs that we have around here. The extra 8 pounds for the FS and strength of the Trance is not needed in many of the locations I ride here in the NW.

The important point is the need to understand your riding style and location before you decide on the bike you want to buy or build.

My next bike will be a light HT 29er. I rode down Noble Canyon (fairly technical with some serious rock gardens and drops) in San Diego with a guy on an HT 29er and talked to another who had just come up the canyon. They both felt the HT 29er had the feel of a 3" to 4" travel full suspension 26er but the ability to more easily roll over a lot of obstacles due to the 29" wheels. They were both much better technical riders than I and sure made it look easy and comfortable on those HT 29ers.

I just have to convince my wife I need a fourth mountain bike!
Old 07-18-12, 12:32 PM
Trekathlete

Bikes: 2006 Trek 1500, 1998 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro, 2011 Cervelo P2, 2017 Fuji Beartooth 27.5+, 2016 Scott Foil Team Edition

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am riding in Boise, ID and most of the "quick to get to trails" around here are in the wide open jeep tracks and single track trails in the foothills. There is no narrowly missing your handlebars on trees and so on. Also I know that buying a new 29er is cheaper than building a new 29er but it is easier to spend a few bucks here and a few bucks there over time than to buy a new package at once. Plus I like the idea of piecing each part together. I don't mind used parts either, even frames, which should help reduce the cost. I have a HT Stumpjumper that I got off craigslist last year that has worked out really well but I rode a friends FS 29er by Niner and it was a very smooth, comfortable ride. The other day I did a preview of a local off road triathlon in my area and basically the faster guys were all on FS 29ers. Not that getting a 29er will make me any more faster but I think it will help roll over some of the obstacles that made fall off my bike during that ride.

I came across the 29eronline.com website where they said they'd help piece together a specific bike for your specific needs and get back to you on it. They even made the case for a 5' girl who switched to a 29er even though, as many have stated, she'd be to small of height for 29er's. Here's the link of the 5' girl.

https://www.29eronline.com/category/why-29ers/

I saw a post here talking about on-one frames and its hard to buy something like that without ever seeing one and riding one so I was hoping to get some good ideas here. I mean $200 or so for a HT 29er frame isn't bad. I wouldn't even mind starting out with a HT then after a few years buy a FS frame and swap out the components. Speaking of this can 26er components be swapped to a 29er and vica versa? Because I wouldn't mind parting out my 98' Stumpy for such a cause. I know a lot of the parts would just be better to buy new because I really don't want the v-brakes that are on my stumpy and the forks wouldn't work so all that is really left is the drive train which is a 8 speed, which might not work either, but just a thought.

Anyways so maybe to start out with I would like a semi light HT 29er then after a few years buy a FS 29er. What type of frames would you recommend I start looking at. There are many many manufacturers but it is hard to test drive frames like the on-one frames I talked about earlier. Its hard to tell if the frame is a good deal or not. Sometimes on ebay I see carbon frames that strike my interest but they are made in china and shipped from there which makes me think twice about buying something like that. Although I do like the lightness of carbon and the price.

Trekathlete
Old 07-18-12, 01:16 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Being a 6'1" Clyde, I'm right in the perfect height range for a 29er; I don't, however, think much of the way they ride.

I AM intrigued by Banshee's new FS 29er frame; 130mm travel, and it looks STURDY. Now, experience tells me that a 29er frame can be used with 26" wheels; the extra BB drop is a weird feeling, but a manageable issue. It's all in how 'silly' you want to get with a bike....

I may indulge, if I can get something like the Banshee; otherwise, not for me.
Old 07-19-12, 08:55 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Someone 5' tall should be on 26" or even 24". I cant imagine the geometry compromises not to mention toe overlap with a 29er.. but anyway, about you.

Forget about using parts from the stumpy. Fork is incompatible and the drivetrain is too old to bother.

It is possible to build a HT bike with an eventual move to FS in mind. Fork travel is one of the things to look at. Make sure both frames are compatible there. Certainly they would need the same BB type and same head tube.
Old 07-19-12, 09:42 AM
Trekathlete

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well from what I have learned is that I am looking at a XC style bike probably. I don't think any of the others really suit me except all mountain but I don't like the weight and haven't ever ridden a chair lift to do some biking. So with that in mind I think that a 100mm travel fork should be good but maybe 29ers come with more travel? I think my bike now has 80mm of travel and the extra 20mm will be welcomed. So basically once I get a 29er HT frame and then down the line I would want to look for a FS that has the same BB and Head tube size so that the bearings and cranks are compatible? That is the only portion of bikes I have yet to take apart is the crank and fork. So I am looking forward to this learning experience.
Old 07-19-12, 08:59 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
try to find a HT that can use 120mm forks. many FS bikes use 120mm forks or greater. you can also get a 120mm fork and shim it to 100mm. most quality forks can do that.
Old 07-19-12, 10:50 PM
Trekathlete

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What do you think of the carbon HT frames from China on ebay? They have good reviews but they are definitely cheaper than any other carbon 29er frame out there. I just worry about the dimensions of the bikes. Also looking at on one frames they have a chromoly frame for like $189 although this is a heavy duty, heavy weight frame.