Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

A really simple way to clean disc brake lining

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-12, 03:33 AM
tonyjaja

Need: prevent midge’s Florida Water and paper towel

Specific means is: Crack the Braking lining, individual pour out a little Florida Water, Braking lining rubbing one another, and dry with paper towel, add a little more Florida Water, repetitive operation 3-4 times, clean the Braking lining with paper towel(Touch Florida Water), set up Braking lining, It is done!

Old 03-16-12, 09:08 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Never heard of Florida Water... Is this it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Water

And, you're talking about the pads themselves, yes? Will this remove oils and decontaminate the pads, too?
Old 03-16-12, 09:22 AM
Booger1

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Or 2 squirts of brake clean......

Doesn't Florida water have lemon/orange in it.....as in citrus oil?If it does,it will clean them but the oil will come to the surface when they warm up and glaze the rotors.

Last edited by Booger1; 03-16-12 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-16-12, 09:34 AM
alan s 

Liked 190 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyjaja
Need: prevent midge’s Florida Water and paper towel

Specific means is: Crack the Braking lining, individual pour out a little Florida Water, Braking lining rubbing one another, and dry with paper towel, add a little more Florida Water, repetitive operation 3-4 times, clean the Braking lining with paper towel(Touch Florida Water), set up Braking lining, It is done!
I always wondered what was the best way to do this. Thanks for explaining so clearly. Where does one obtain a sufficient quantity of Florida Water? BTW, I'm not located in Florida, so I would need to find a reliable supplier to ship to me.
Old 03-16-12, 10:33 AM
Werkin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To remove a contaminate like metal or sand particle from a disc brake pad, use a pick or needle to dislodge. For heavy oil contaminate, discard the pad. To remove glazing or light finger oil contaminate, rub the pad across clean medium grit sand paper, 600 grit for example. Most bike pad compounds are held together with organic binders which can degrade with brake cleaner saturation, for that reason I don't recommend brake cleaner or Acetone, and really there is no reason to use a liquid cleaner in the first place; definitely don't use a product on the pad surface which can leave a residue. If debris is heavily deposited around the caliper and pad, use compressed air to break free, and only from a source with an oil/water separator filter installed in-line.

For optimum braking performance pad material needs to transfer to the brake rotor, the rotor should only be wiped off if muddy, and only water used if necessary.
Old 03-16-12, 08:05 PM
tonyjaja

It is a toilet water, can help you to avoid mosquitos , or flies. I do not know whether abroad have toilet water? We use it to avoid mosquitos , or flies in summer, smell very sweet, also can clean the Braking lining

Old 03-16-12, 08:21 PM
tonyjaja

It has strong ability to clean, you can try it

Old 03-16-12, 08:28 PM
linus
Crawler

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Never use automotive brake cleaners. Bicycle rotors don't get hot enough to burn up the residue left on the rotor.
Old 03-16-12, 08:29 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What the French call "eau de toilette", or we'd call "perfume"; gotcha.
Old 03-16-12, 08:33 PM
tonyjaja

Originally Posted by alan s
I always wondered what was the best way to do this. Thanks for explaining so clearly. Where does one obtain a sufficient quantity of Florida Water? BTW, I'm not located in Florida, so I would need to find a reliable supplier to ship to me.

It is not made in Florida, i do not how to translator in english, but is a toilet water, smell sweet, Older people or young people all use it for avoid mosquitos , or flies, but one day i found a people said he use it to clean braking lining, very useful, and other people said they try and useful, so share to more people, i do not whether it sale on abroad