Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Early 1990’s Schwinn High Plains Tire Size

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Early 1990’s Schwinn High Plains Tire Size

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-21, 07:47 PM
Basstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
THREAD UPDATED: 1990’s Schwinn High Plains Tire Choice

I’ve found I’m enjoying riding trails and gravel on this bike and I’m purchasing a separate bike for pavement so I’m going in a totally different direction than I had originally thought.

The rear rack and fishing rod holders are no longer and the fenders idea has been abandoned.

What are some good gravel/ trail tires for the money that are supple and have decent rolling resistance?

Im considering the Panaracer Gravelking SK but am open to suggestions.

Secondly, based on a few of the comments here I’m thinking I can go as wide as 2.1” without issue.

I appreciate any thoughts and tips from anyone here who is familiar with this bike and it’s specs.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by Basstar; 01-09-22 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-28-21, 07:58 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
IIRC, my High Plains utility ride had 2 inch knobbies on it when I got it off of CL. It has narrower Schwalbe Marathons right now. I've been considering adding 2 inch RibMo's, might need to take off the fenders I added. See the 26 inch tire thread for lots more ideas.

The Schwalbes have great, zero flats in over ten years of use on various bikes on lousy roads.

Last edited by leftthread; 10-28-21 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-28-21, 08:08 PM
Basstar

Excellent

Originally Posted by leftthread
IIRC, my High Plains utility ride had 2 inch knobbies on it when I got it off of CL. It has narrower Schwalbe Marathons right now. I've been considering adding 2 inch RibMo's, might need to take off the fenders I added. See the 26 inch tire thread for lots more ideas.

The Schwalbes have great, zero flats in over ten years of use on various bikes on lousy roads.
Many thanks and some terrific info.
Old 10-29-21, 09:17 AM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts

Planet Bike aluminum fenders. Wheelset is not original; these are off a Gary Fisher that got flipped.

Gee, I better put the frame pump back on before the next ride.
Good luck!
Old 10-29-21, 09:31 AM
Basstar

Wow

Originally Posted by leftthread

Planet Bike aluminum fenders. Wheelset is not original; these are off a Gary Fisher that got flipped.

Gee, I better put the frame pump back on before the next ride.
Good luck!
Amazing and beautiful bike!

Thank you for sharing as it gives me a good idea of what my bike will look like with fenders.
Old 10-29-21, 09:34 AM
Basstar

My Bike

A couple of photos of my “Snookmobile” in the conversion process. Tires, fenders, and a horn to come.
Old 10-30-21, 08:14 AM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts
What year is yours?

My son has a '90 or '91 High Plains that still has a level top tube. We fit 2.25" WTB knobbies on it, but the clearance was so close he wore some paint off the chains stays after hitting curbs and some big bumps. The hard hits apparently dislodged the tire enough to make it wobble - the rim was still true. I don't remember what the situation was at the other choke points.

As far as tire width, I have 2.1" Maxxis on my Stumpjumper. They handle anything, but I think I'll replace them with something narrower when it's time. The 2.1" seem to offer too much cushion. I know I could, & do, air them up more, but seems like I don't need that wide which would probably reduce some weight too. We'll see when it comes time, I do like the look.
Old 10-30-21, 09:41 AM
Basstar

Many Thanks

Originally Posted by thorstein
What year is yours?

My son has a '90 or '91 High Plains that still has a level top tube. We fit 2.25" WTB knobbies on it, but the clearance was so close he wore some paint off the chains stays after hitting curbs and some big bumps. The hard hits apparently dislodged the tire enough to make it wobble - the rim was still true. I don't remember what the situation was at the other choke points.

As far as tire width, I have 2.1" Maxxis on my Stumpjumper. They handle anything, but I think I'll replace them with something narrower when it's time. The 2.1" seem to offer too much cushion. I know I could, & do, air them up more, but seems like I don't need that wide which would probably reduce some weight too. We'll see when it comes time, I do like the look.
I appreciate your insight and also your compliment.

I’ve decided to go with some 26x1.95 Kenda K838 City Slick tires.

My thinking is they will be a good all around all purpose option.
Likes For Basstar:
Old 10-30-21, 12:07 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
For what it's worth, my 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 ideally takes 26 x 1.95, although I have gone as high as 2.1. Particularly with the larger tires, I need to deflate the front tire to clear the brake pads, particularly for reinstallation. (Ubrake in back, SunTour Rollercam in front, although most of the other KOM-10s I have seen have conventional cantilevers in front.)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 01-09-22, 07:05 AM
Basstar

My Bike’s Purpose Has Changed

I’m posting this here simply to bring the post back to the forefront as I’m changing directions with this bike.

Your insight and knowledge are truly appreciated.

I’ve found I’m enjoying riding trails and gravel on this bike and I’m purchasing a separate bike for pavement so I’m going in a totally different direction than I had originally thought.

The rear rack and fishing rod holders are no longer and the fenders idea has been abandoned.

What are some good gravel/ trail tires for the money that are supple and have decent rolling resistance?

Im considering the Panaracer Gravelking SK but am open to suggestions.

Secondly, based on a few of the comments here I’m thinking I can go as wide as 2.1” without issue.

I appreciate any thoughts and tips from anyone here who is familiar with this bike and it’s specs.

Thanks so much.
Old 01-09-22, 09:00 AM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts
I'd go with Maxxis DTH unless you plan to be riding in mud. I've done a bunch of single track & had no problem, but I'm not an agressive rider either.

They've been great pavement/gravel/trail tires. They offer good suspension & have never let me down off-riad. There's a subtle hum on pavement, but nothing distracting.
Likes For thorstein: