Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike racing shorts

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike racing shorts

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 11:34 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 175 Posts
The era of stigmatizing "middle-aged men in Lycra" is over, isn't it? Everybody wears Lycra. I'm seeing an Adidas ad right now with a model in a matching Lycra 2-piece gym suit. Moms wear Lycra to pick up their kids from school. My son (10) wears essentially Lycra tights to baseball practice. Whole cheerleading squads wear "bike shorts". Basketball players wear long, loose shorts over their Lycra. Form-fitting athletic tops for men and women are certainly in style.
Old 02-21-24, 11:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,915 Times in 6,102 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
One poster here in particular claims you can dry lycra on high heat and it refreshes the synthetic fiber.

I asked him once why the one time I did it (accidentally) the elasticity in the seat was shot when the shorts came out of the dryer. I got no response. So I follow the "hang to dry" label. My shorts last longer that way.
One time, one of my sons, wanting to wash his own clothes, "helpfully" put my bike clothes in the dryer so he could use the washer. That was the end of two pair of bibs. One was "Lycra Power", which was so loose afterwards I'd have had to gain 20-30 lbs to make them snug again.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-21-24, 12:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
One time, one of my sons, wanting to wash his own clothes, "helpfully" put my bike clothes in the dryer so he could use the washer. That was the end of two pair of bibs. One was "Lycra Power", which was so loose afterwards I'd have had to gain 20-30 lbs to make them snug again.
I too was helpful and unloaded the washer directly into the dryer and put it on ‘high’. When my wife retrieved her sweater, it could have fit a 10 YO. That was when my helpful laundry days ended.

Old 02-21-24, 12:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Chistophe516
Mods please move this to the appropriate forum.

I don't race, but. I do wear racing shorts because they are more comfortable. Casual everyday shorts left me feeling sore in the saddle. My question is, are they safe to put in dryer?
Guess it doesn’t go into the Racing forum then.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-21-24, 12:39 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I too was helpful and unloaded the washer directly into the dryer and put it on ‘high’. When my wife retrieved her sweater, it could have fit a 10 YO. That was when my helpful laundry days ended.
This is an old trick for men to not have to do laundry ever.
Old 02-21-24, 12:48 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanks for all the input.
Old 02-21-24, 01:37 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
My bike clothes - bibs, jerseys, arm/leg warmers, jackets, vests, socks, and underlayers - get washed with all my other clothes on the regular cycle in warm water, and extra spin time. I filter out bibs, jerseys, jackets, and vests to air dry inside the house. I don't worry about the other things. This is typically Friday evening, and everything is ready to ride Saturday morning. I've been doing it this way for years. No issues.
Old 02-21-24, 06:27 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,474 Times in 1,021 Posts
I bet the short-term pain was worth the long-term gain.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-21-24, 07:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I bet the short-term pain was worth the long-term gain.
It also worked in high school when cotton shirts required ironing. My mother told me to iron my own, so I left the iron in one place too long creating a Shroud of Turin effect, and I was relieved from ironing. Never told her it was intentional - but I sacrificed a shirt I didn’t like, so no great loss. Fail your way to success!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-21-24, 07:42 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I wash them with my other clothes and dry them with my other clothes. Don’t wear em much so don’t know if they have degraded. People make cycling too complicated
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 02-21-24, 08:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I wash them with my other clothes and dry them with my other clothes. Don’t wear em much so don’t know if they have degraded. People make cycling too complicated
And I thought your were money challenged. What you are doing by drying jerseys and shorts in a machine is significantly reducing their life span. Hanging up a few clothes to dry is not that complicated - unless…..

Old 02-21-24, 10:21 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6973 Post(s)
Liked 10,974 Times in 4,694 Posts
Somehow my two favorite merino wool cycling jerseys went through the dryer on high heat… Fortunately one of my best riding buddies is about two sizes smaller than me.
Old 02-21-24, 10:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Koyote
Somehow my two favorite merino wool cycling jerseys went through the dryer on high heat… Fortunately one of my best riding buddies is about two sizes smaller than me.
I feel your pain. When I bought my first merino light weight base layer top, I forgot to remove it from the regular laundry. It was washed and dried on hot. Now it’s mid-forearm length but the rest of it still fits - snugly

Old 02-21-24, 11:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,474 Times in 1,021 Posts
I wash them with my other clothes and dry them with my other clothes. Don’t wear em much so ...
What you are doing by drying jerseys and shorts in a machine is significantly reducing their life span.
Revisions made to conform inquiry with commonly known fact.
Old 02-21-24, 11:30 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
And I thought your were money challenged. What you are doing by drying jerseys and shorts in a machine is significantly reducing their life span. Hanging up a few clothes to dry is not that complicated - unless…..
using different washing methods for different clothes is not something I’m willing to do anymore. I wear the cycling clothes under shorts when I do wear em and don’t really care about them, heck one of the two is a 3xl women’s one that was given to me. I also wear normal shorts over bike shorts (don’t get why more people don’t do this tbh) so if they got thinner it’s fine.
Old 02-22-24, 12:14 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
using different washing methods for different clothes is not something I’m willing to do anymore. I wear the cycling clothes under shorts when I do wear em and don’t really care about them, heck one of the two is a 3xl women’s one that was given to me. I also wear normal shorts over bike shorts (don’t get why more people don’t do this tbh)so if they got thinner it’s fine.
shorts over bike shorts defeats some of the benefits of bike shorts (bunching of material will wear bike shorts faster, it is not (for me) comfortable and even slow people can feel the impact of more wind resistance)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-22-24, 05:45 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I have not noticed that the dryer shortened the life of my shorts and bibs. I can't compare because I always have used the dryer, but my shorts that I bought at the Pearl Izumi outlet when I stopped in while riding the Trans America are still fine. I mention them because I know that was in 2007 so they are almost 32 years old now.

I still have some shorts that were my old shorts at that time that are shot. They seem to have had the elastic in the waistbands and cuffs fail while sitting in a drawer unused. I noticed that those failed in the last few years, but hadn't been in the rotation for a good while. They are probably 35-40 years old so I doubt any care option would have made the difference, but even it it would have I doubt that it would be worth the trouble.

I do wonder what the difference in how we experience what the dryer does to our shorts. Is it the shorts themselves? Something about how we launder them? Our observations or expectations? FWIW, my experiences were with Nashbar shorts way back in the old days and Pearl Izumi in the past 30+ years or so. At different points I bought shorts or bibs at different levels in the product lines.

I have had years with a lot of miles during that period and ones where i didn't ride much, but overall I did put in a lot of days of riding and a lot of wash cycles. These days I ride every day.
Likes For staehpj1: