Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Perforated Saddle?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Perforated Saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 11:11 AM
flyingPiggy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perforated Saddle?

I've never used perforated saddle before but thinking about getting one.
For your vintage or classic build...say..80's bike. Would you put on a perforated regal or some other perforated saddles?
What are the pros and cons of having perforation on the saddle?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-19, 11:32 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Do you have a link to the actual model you're talking about? I'm not sure I've seen "perforation" used with saddles.

Center cut outs are common on a variety of saddles. I've tried them a bit. They're OK, but seem to increase pressure on the sit bones a bit. Perhaps a mild center channel or padding is just as good or better.

There is the Tioga Spyder Stratum (and various copies). I haven't tried them, but they are interesting.

Old 01-30-19, 12:16 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by flyingPiggy
I've never used perforated saddle before but thinking about getting one.
For your vintage or classic build...say..80's bike. Would you put on a perforated regal or some other perforated saddles?
What are the pros and cons of having perforation on the saddle?

Thanks!
I have a couple of perforated San Marco Rolls saddles and the only drawback I've noticed is that the dye wears quicker around the perforations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0531.jpg (1.86 MB, 343 views)
Old 01-30-19, 12:40 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Perforated saddle .. I hope it doesn't require surgery.
Old 01-30-19, 02:28 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
I have a couple of perforated saddles on my bikes. I think the perforations are really just for aesthetics as I don't feel any real difference in terms of comfort when zi compare it to my regular saddles.
I lf there is anything that might be bad about perforated saddles is the cover will tend to wear and tear, easier than regular smooth leather saddles, so I would not recommend it if you lean your saddle against all sorts of walls regularly....
Old 01-30-19, 02:44 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I like a little friction in my saddle, there are different styles that provide that, including perforations. But this is one of my favorites - I think they call it "distressed":

Old 01-30-19, 03:04 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Matches my perforated bar wrap.
Old 01-30-19, 03:39 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by tyler_fred
I have a couple of perforated San Marco Rolls saddles and the only drawback I've noticed is that the dye wears quicker around the perforations.
Oh, that kind of holes. I'm having troubles imagining the benefit of them.

Increased friction? Sweat drying?

I see you have the same issues that I've had, wearing down the saddle nose.
Old 01-30-19, 04:07 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I don't think we know what kind of saddles OP meant. I can't think of any kind of saddle where perforations make much difference, though.
Old 01-30-19, 04:31 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts

Perforated saddles just gives C&V bikes more rakish/sporty looks......
BTW, the perforated saddles made in the 80's look quite different from their re-issued modern versions. Something about the perforation hole size and spacing seems to look much better on the older saddles. The new ones seem to have smaller perforation holes (or are the holes just farther apart?) and the something about the spacing of the holes that seems to make them look too even and not conform with the saddle shapes.....

Last edited by Chombi1; 01-30-19 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-30-19, 06:57 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Yeah, the new perforated saddles look cheap Asian, not classic European.
Old 01-30-19, 06:59 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Is that one of the legendary Dura Ace stems with the internal clamp I see? I have one of the old black perforated Turbo saddles like @Chombi1 above. It wears around the holes like others have said. I just use liquid shoe polish to redye it. Be sure to wear black shorts!
Old 01-30-19, 10:32 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 558 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Do you have a link to the actual model you're talking about? I'm not sure I've seen "perforation" used with saddles.

Center cut outs are common on a variety of saddles. I've tried them a bit. They're OK, but seem to increase pressure on the sit bones a bit. Perhaps a mild center channel or padding is just as good or better.

There is the Tioga Spyder Stratum (and various copies). I haven't tried them, but they are interesting.

I like the look of perforated saddles, but I've never tried any for fear of potential tears. Handlebar tape with perforation has never been an issue, and I can't think of any saddles that have failed at the perforation, so maybe I'm overthinking it.

As an aside: In the photo above from CliffordK, what is the purpose of the the cable? Can't figure out why a cable would terminate at the post like that.

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 01-30-19, 11:23 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by gaucho777
I like the look of perforated saddles, but I've never tried any for fear of potential tears. Handlebar tape with perforation has never been an issue, and I can't think of any saddles that have failed at the perforation, so maybe I'm overthinking it.

As an aside: In the photo above from CliffordK, what is the purpose of the the cable? Can't figure out why a cable would terminate at the post like that.
I picked the photo up off of the web... for a webbed saddle.

I think it was a MTB saddle.

I presume that is some kind of a remote dropper post, probably with a lock on the handlebars.
Old 01-31-19, 09:40 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Yep, dropper post. Likely with a bar-mounted lever.
Old 01-31-19, 10:11 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

The popular knock off model is Vertu. Like $6-7 bucks shipped or used to be. I've had one on a fixed gear for a few years now. Lightweight and fast looking. They break in some, but you can tell the difference if you switch bikes and then come back. Takes a while to get used to. A bit stiff.
Old 01-31-19, 10:51 AM
flyingPiggy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just so that it is clear, I am looking at something like this...

*image found on internet, not mine.

I guess I will try the perforated saddle for sure.

I was thinking Selle San Marco Regal, Rolls, or may be turbo in white with perforation(my bike is in red and the bar tape is in white so.. I guess color wise it's good to go). I was having a hard time finding a nice vintage regal saddle in white without the perforation in good shape(I did found one on ebay and ordered it, but USPS lost it...sad), but is able to find quite a few with perforation.

I do too like actual vintage ones rather than re-issued ones. The leather and the finish seems to be better on old ones imho.

I live in southern California so the rain/weather factor is a bit less worrisome than some other places. Ventilation and comfort wise, I guess it would not make much difference with modern chamois and lycra shorts/bib shorts, but wonder how much difference it would make to have perforation while wearing a more traditional wool shorts. Anyway, I guess I will have to try and see of my bums like it

Thank you for all the feedbacks, you guys are awesome!
Old 01-31-19, 11:29 AM
Litespeedlouie

Bikes: Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I have a white perf Regal on my 1990 steel custom road, and used it hard for racing/training until adding my +1 (Litespeed 1997).

I think that the perfs are a non-issue for ventilation. I feel it might help grip some, but leather finish is more important to grip. I had a suede Turbo that was very grippy, and smooth leather saddles that aren't so grippy. Whatever fits your body and desire for grip.

The white is an issue in that it does show dirt/stains easily. I don't do anything but modest damp wiping, but have some wear and discoloration on the edges for some reason. I think I tried a rag with kitchen cleaner (Formula 409) once for stains. The perfs in the sitting area seem to have little to no sign of wear.
Old 01-31-19, 12:04 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by flyingPiggy
I was thinking Selle San Marco Rolls in white with perforation(my bike is in red and the bar tape is in white so.. I guess color wise it's good to go).
Yes, that seems to work. Sorry about the lighting differences, both saddle and wrap are perforated white. The saddle is not yellowed or anything, it's the light.