Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Twenty...bought it for the Brooks

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-23, 05:48 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts

Thought this was a pretty cool bike when I saw it on ebay. Seller had swapped to alloy wheels and some nice tires. And it was outfitted with a Brooks Pro!

Just pulled the trigger on it Monday and by Friday it was in my possession. Looks like a bike that sat idle for many years. The hub bearings were very loose. Rear wheel was askew, tires not seated on the rims, just general lack of maintenance.

So a little mechanical futzing about and it was ready to ride. But the rear wheel kept sliding to the side. A stripped nondrive side nut was the culprit. Went to my local sports/bike shop, a whole block away, and they had one. But the wheel still didnt want to stay put. Futzed around some more and finally decided the other driveside nut should be replaced too. Back to the sport shop and they had what I needed. Great to have a stock of handy parts a block away. Problem solved and it rides pretty well. Might do a lite customization with a micro adjust seatpost and a different stem/bar setup....maybe an alloy crank???

And no I really didnt buy it just for the Brooks, but it was a major buying point, along with the alloy rimmed wheels.
Old 04-08-23, 07:25 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,560 Times in 1,412 Posts
Very clean, and very 70s!
Old 04-08-23, 08:41 PM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts
Such a cool looking frame! I really enjoy mine, even if my steel rims make the ride a bit stiff.

Enjoy!
Likes For thorstein:
Old 04-08-23, 09:01 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Nice buy @big chainring . The bike is in excellent shape and it looks like it has the original fenders, also in excellent condition. Keep the pictures coming as you personalize it.

I'm glad to hear that you have a bike shop that stocks Sturmey Archer parts. I have had problems around here and have resorted to mail order, oops, online shopping. A dedicated Trek shop didn't even know what a Sturmey Archer hub was.
Likes For Velo Mule: