Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just snagged a very interesting saddle.... Shades of Regal???....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 11:20 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

After considering for the longest time to finding/buying an NOS or re-issue Selle San Marco Regal saddle for a spare/replacement for my two bikes, I came across this a couple of weeks ago at eBay:

It's an NOS Selle Italia "Daytona" Saddle from 1993. A splitting image of the Regal saddle, made by it's competitor company, Selle San Marco. I did not even know this saddle existed, so I grabbed it!

It has really interesting detailing that sets it a bit apart from the Regal though, with nicer copper rivets that has "Selle Italia" impressed on them. The rivet heads on Regals have no marking on them.

The nose also mimics the shape you will find on a classic leather suspension saddle which the Regal and this saddle is generally trying to do, but the Daytona seems to be more succesful at the nose.
Anyone here have any experience or information about this saddle? Did the two saddle companies get into any design patent issues with this one looking so much like the Regal? Was Selle Italia directed to cease and desist making this Daytona saddle, as it seems to not be very common out there compared to the Regal
The saddle seems to have steel rails but is not too heavy weighing in at 295 grams on my scale. Now I'm wondering which bike to put this thing on. I'm retiring my old perforated Selle Italia Turbo for a while lest I really wear it out for good.

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 08-25-10 at 11:28 PM.