Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Not a Noob, but......

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Not a Noob, but......

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 10:05 PM
lohump
Rider

Bikes: Trek Madone 5-Series Campy 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a Noob, but......

This question may make me sound like one. What is the protocol when installing a new chain?
Clean off the packing grease and lube it? Or ride it until you need lube?
Old 10-13-10, 10:16 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
The original grease is the best thing the chain will ever have. Leave it completely alone, just install it. Clean/lube it once it gets dirty or noisy.
Old 10-13-10, 10:17 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
I leave factory gunk on, but typically add lube within 50 miles, frequently oil over the factory gunk right away.
Old 10-13-10, 11:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
+1,000

I like to believe I make a pretty decent chain lube, but always leave the original lube in place on my own chains, though I do add fresh lube immediately while the chain is still clean.

You may add fresh lube immediately or hold off at your option. If the outside is sticky, you can help the chain stay cleaner by dampening a rag with mineral spirits or naphtha and wiping down the outside.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-14-10, 08:41 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
The original grease is the best thing the chain will ever have. Leave it completely alone, just install it. Clean/lube it once it gets dirty or noisy.

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I leave factory gunk on, but typically add lube within 50 miles, frequently oil over the factory gunk right away.
Yep, the factory lubrication might be the best thing the chain will ever have...until it gets dirty. Then the new lube will carry any grit on the outside of the chain to the inside of the chain where it will act like a wonderful lapping compound and chew the chain to pieces. And most people will then remove the chain, remove the lubrication and add new stuff, repeating the process ad infinitum because the chain leaves icky black marks everywhere...I never have been able to figure out how I got chain ring marks on the back of my neck All this so that you can get 50 to 100 miles benefit out of that 'superior' chain lube

Since I live in a place where dust and sand are more of a problem then water, I clean the chain before I install, apply a dry lube which is far less messy, and never clean the chain again. In my experience and contrary to what most people will tell you, lohump, dry lubes don't have to be added after every ride, they last longer than 50 miles and they don't cause excessive wear. I lubricate my chains less often than every 6 weeks...often only after a rare rain ride...and don't change chains more often 4000 or 5000 miles.

Clean the chain and save yourself the headache further later.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-14-10, 09:27 AM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seal beach has moist, salty sea air. Unless the OP is riding by the beach a lot, dust or sand may not be the main issue. OP, if you do follow cyccommute's advice about stripping the factory wet lube and adding a dry, wax-based lubricant, beware that you'll need to be vigilant in (a) rinsing saltwater off the chain with fresh water and (b) wiping moisture away from the chain with a rag. If you fail to do this, then chain will begin to corrode and rust, and then the rust will migrate to the insides of the links, and it will then be getting chewed up by those particles rather than road grit.
Old 10-14-10, 10:38 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by peripatetic
Seal beach has moist, salty sea air. Unless the OP is riding by the beach a lot, dust or sand may not be the main issue. OP, if you do follow cyccommute's advice about stripping the factory wet lube and adding a dry, wax-based lubricant, beware that you'll need to be vigilant in (a) rinsing saltwater off the chain with fresh water and (b) wiping moisture away from the chain with a rag. If you fail to do this, then chain will begin to corrode and rust, and then the rust will migrate to the insides of the links, and it will then be getting chewed up by those particles rather than road grit.
The same could be said of any lubrication in those conditions. Dry lubricants aren't water soluble so they do provide some protection. They just happen to not pick up as much grit as oil based lubricants. Grit, especially beach sand which has a high percentage of quartz in it, is highly abrasive. More so than any rust that could form. You are correct that vigilance is the key but that holds for any lubricant in a salt environment.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-14-10, 02:42 PM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The same could be said of any lubrication in those conditions. Dry lubricants aren't water soluble so they do provide some protection. They just happen to not pick up as much grit as oil based lubricants. Grit, especially beach sand which has a high percentage of quartz in it, is highly abrasive. More so than any rust that could form. You are correct that vigilance is the key but that holds for any lubricant in a salt environment.
Yes. My only point was based on my experience trying dry lubes in wet conditions--once the wax has dried inside and the solvent has evaporated, the chain has zero protection against moisture. I learned that the hard way from trying to use the dry lube here in a NEastern fall. My chain got very rusty very quickly. I since switched back to a wet lube, and I've found the thin film of oil that spreads onto the chain protects it far better from corrosion in wet weather. It is a pick your poison situation; however, as someone who rides and has to keep my bike in wet conditions on a frequent basis, I've found it's easier to just be vigilant about regular road dirt than about premature chain corrosion. My own experience says dry lube isn't great for these conditions, and since I know Seal Beach (used to live near there), I thought it best to inform the OP about the possible drawbacks.
Old 10-14-10, 04:06 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I ride a new chain for at least 1000 miles before I remove it to clean and relube it. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html
Old 10-14-10, 05:04 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
lohump, As I understand it the chains are run through their 'packing grease' while the grease is hot allowing it to penetrate the hard to reach places. It's the best lubrication they'll ever have. On the road bikes I leave them alone for quite awhile, on the mountain bike I'll run a rag soaked in WD40 over the surfaces while back pedaling and then use a dry lube before the chain is actually used.

Brad
Old 10-14-10, 05:53 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you feel like you have to preface a question with, "Not a Noob, but...," then you're a noob. No shame in it. We're all noobs to something around here.
Old 10-18-10, 01:43 PM
lohump
Rider

Bikes: Trek Madone 5-Series Campy 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey
If you feel like you have to preface a question with, "Not a Noob, but...," then you're a noob. No shame in it. We're all noobs to something around here.
Wow....You posted an opinion based on nothing. But you are correct. There are some things I've never done and never will. And thanks for your opinion on lubing a new chain!
Old 10-18-10, 03:18 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found the ShelBroCo method of chain maintenance is far superior to even the factory lube.