Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-23, 02:25 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The biggest waste of money is spending 2-3 times as much for a high performance bike in the misguided belief that it will improve the performance of the rider. I have seen this over the past 50 years, starting with some middle age male, often a smoker, with their Masi or Colnogo racing bike. Status symbols are still very important to many people.
Old 03-22-23, 02:30 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
The biggest waste of money is spending 2-3 times as much for a high performance bike in the misguided belief that it will improve the performance of the rider. I have seen this over the past 50 years, starting with some middle age male, often a smoker, with their Masi or Colnogo racing bike. Status symbols are still very important to many people.
It's a waste to spend 2-3 times as much as what? The bike you own?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-22-23, 02:31 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Obviously is a waste of money in that case, but I never thought many people actually believe it does significantly improve their performance. I thought they just liked riding a nice bike and it will be a little quicker in most cases. I could be wrong though. Probably depends on your local biking culture etc.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-22-23, 02:39 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's a waste to spend 2-3 times as much as what? The bike you own?
Exactly! Every bike more expensive than mine is a waste of money and every bike less expensive than mine is a cheap POS!
Old 03-22-23, 02:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Why do you care how other people spend their money? Does it affect you in some way?

If a high-performance bike will improve the performance of a good rider, why would it not improve the performance of a mediocre rider?

In my own experience as a middle-aged male, and observing others in the same category, sometimes it's about finally being able to afford the stuff you wished you could have had when you were younger, while you're still young enough to enjoy/appreciate high-quality gear. I spent a dozen years racing bikes when I was in my 20s and 30s. Due to other demands that were a higher priority in my life, I stopped riding for 15 years. When I started again a few years ago, I didn't lose my ability to recognize the subtle differences between decent and great gear. I have purchased a few newer high-level bikes for myself during these recent years, and having bikes in my stable that excite me to ride gets me out riding more often. I'll never have the kind of fitness I did 20 years ago, and that's fine. I'm enjoying being back to a level where I can ride with my friends who never took a break from it, and enjoying being able to do it on machines that help me get the best out of what I have right now. These days, I ride for the fun of it, and riding hot bikes is fun.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-22-23 at 04:02 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-22-23, 03:56 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
It's not a waste of money if it's what they want. Doesn't matter if they don't even ride it and just hang it on the wall and look at it.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-22-23, 04:03 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Eric F
These days, I ride for the fun of it, and riding hot bikes is fun.
Yeah it's not quite the same fun riding on some budget bike that looks like crap, regardless of the objective performance difference. People tend to ride what they can afford at whatever level. There are diminishing returns, but a nice bike is still a nice bike even if you are not a world pro athlete.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-22-23, 04:14 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yeah it's not quite the same fun riding on some budget bike that looks like crap, regardless of the objective performance difference. People tend to ride what they can afford at whatever level. There are diminishing returns, but a nice bike is still a nice bike even if you are not a world pro athlete.
There are some folks who see a bike only for its practical application, and have no emotional response to the configuration of the machine. I'm not one of those guys. Neither are you.
Old 03-22-23, 04:21 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
When I bought my first dirt bike a friend came by the house and I remarked how maybe I spent too much because I couldn't use it to it's potential. My friend said "so what?". He said I should be happy just to have it and he was right. I had some really good times with that bike and the others I bought after it. Money well spent. Great memories, just like some of my bicycle trips.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-22-23, 04:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10443 Post(s)
Liked 11,920 Times in 6,104 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Exactly! Every bike more expensive than mine is a waste of money and every bike less expensive than mine is a cheap POS!
More expensive than WHICH of mine, though?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-22-23, 05:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by genejockey
More expensive than WHICH of mine, though?
If anyone was wondering where all the Avocet O2 Air saddles went, now you know.
Old 03-22-23, 05:18 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
If anyone was wondering where all the Avocet O2 Air saddles went, now you know.
O2 Air genejockey
Likes For t2p:
Old 03-22-23, 05:38 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3682 Post(s)
Liked 5,446 Times in 2,769 Posts
And inverse snobbery never goes out of style on BF. Wow, you've been cycling for 50 years and still can't afford a bike that makes you feel good about yourself? Sadly, it's probably too late to find a better job.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-22-23, 05:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10443 Post(s)
Liked 11,920 Times in 6,104 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
O2 Air genejockey
Still the best saddle for my tuchus.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-23-23, 03:49 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
I never intended to imply that anyone NEEDS to spend a certain amount of money to be considered serious. It was my observation that people who do get serious about a hobby tend to spend $1000+ to get themselves outfitted decently. There will be exceptions. There are also some that $1000 doesn't even scratch the surface of start-up expense. My observation is unsupported by data or other scientific factors. It's just a trend I have noticed over the course of many years. I could be totally wrong.
The majority of us know what you meant. The $1000 figure was arbitrary, but you're not wrong. Anyone serious about any hobby or interest is going to spend serious money, either to get better results or simply to enjoy their hobby more. To the casual recreational cyclist (or bowler, whatever) the comments are often "You spent HOW MUCH on that?"
Old 03-23-23, 04:06 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by elcruxio
So the bike industry is making expensive over engineered bikes which may be faster but aren't good for overall health...?

I don't follow.
I hate to point out this well-iknown fact, but TDF winner's average speed, measured over all stages and across all years, has not significantly improved since the mid 90s. It's really, really hard to make a case that bikes made today are faster.

The industry of course needs to keep introducing new product with "higher tech" in order to keep the industry alive. Non-racers may in fact be faster because their cool new CF bike with electronic shifting and hydraulic disc brakes makes them get out there more, and motivates them to go faster.

There's nothing wrong with the way bicycles are marketed. If they couldn't find new ways to sell bikes by constantly introducing new features and "innovations", the industry wouldn't thrive. People on BF get butt-hurt when anyone says that, but it's worth pointing out that this same exact thing happens with ANY consumer product. Anyone else here seriously into home theater? Talk about pushing product. These same discussions are had in those forums.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 03-23-23 at 05:05 AM.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 03-23-23, 04:29 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Obviously is a waste of money in that case, but I never thought many people actually believe it does significantly improve their performance. I thought they just liked riding a nice bike and it will be a little quicker in most cases. I could be wrong though. Probably depends on your local biking culture etc.
Originally Posted by Lombard
Why do you care how other people spend their money? Does it affect you in some way?

If a high-performance bike will improve the performance of a good rider, why would it not improve the performance of a mediocre rider?

In my own experience as a middle-aged male, and observing others in the same category, sometimes it's about finally being able to afford the stuff you wished you could have had when you were younger, while you're still young enough to enjoy/appreciate high-quality gear. I spent a dozen years racing bikes when I was in my 20s and 30s. Due to other demands that were a higher priority in my life, I stopped riding for 15 years. When I started again a few years ago, I didn't lose my ability to recognize the subtle differences between decent and great gear. I have purchased a few newer high-level bikes for myself during these recent years, and having bikes in my stable that excite me to ride gets me out riding more often. I'll never have the kind of fitness I did 20 years ago, and that's fine. I'm enjoying being back to a level where I can ride with my friends who never took a break from it, and enjoying being able to do it on machines that help me get the best out of what I have right now. These days, I ride for the fun of it, and riding hot bikes is fun.
Originally Posted by big john
It's not a waste of money if it's what they want. Doesn't matter if they don't even ride it and just hang it on the wall and look at it.
I agree - buy what you like. But... but...

I was just in the LBS, a not so very fit woman was looking at MTB's - and the salesman flat out said "to get a good MTB, you need to spend a min of 5k".

Different LBS - I was trying to help my very out of shape buddy get a basic $5-700 exercise bike - the salesman was pushing hard to get him into the 2k+ range.

Some people understand what they need vs what they want. Some people are oversold a bill of goods that they absolutely don't need - and naturally, being a business that has goals of profits - the bike industry will sell you hard on what you don't need.

I ride bikes in the 2k range. I can afford more, just choose not to. I do hear stuff like this often from other riders "well, that bike is OK for you". Mind you, I can't be or don't get offended by anything, so it makes me laugh. A guy will say something like "well, that aluminum frame and 105 is good enough for your level", then spout off about his this or that bike and CF wheels that cost more than my entire bike... then not be able to keep up on the long ride.

There are absolutely people out there who think the $$$$ parts are needed, vs wanted, for their 18-20 mph group rides.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 03-23-23, 04:37 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I hate to point out this well-iknown fact, but TDF winner's average speed, measured over all stages and across all years, has not significantly improved since the mid 90s. It's really, really hard to make a case that bikes made today are faster.

The industry of course needs to keep introducing new product with "higher tech" in order to keep the industry alive. Non-racers may in fact be faster because their cool new CF bike makes them get out there more, and motivates them to go faster.

There's nothing wrong with the way bicycles are marketed. If they couldn't find new ways to sell bikes by constantly introducing new features and "innovations", the industry wouldn't thrive. People on BF get butt-hurt when anyone says that, but it's worth pointing out that this same exact thing happens with ANY consumer product. Anyone else here seriously into home theater? Talk about pushing product. Those same discussions are had in those forums.
Is it a cloudy day again on planet Luddite? Or are you really from planet Troll?
Old 03-23-23, 04:49 AM
Jeff Neese

Mini-Vs eliminated the major advantage of V-brakes - more leverage. Do away with that leverage, and you are right back to cantilever territory.
They're easier to set up than cantilever brakes, so there's that. I don't use V-brakes and I like the tune-ability of cantilever brakes, but a lot of people find them "fiddly" to set up, so Mini-Vs might be better for them.
Old 03-23-23, 04:52 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Jughed

I was just in the LBS, a not so very fit woman was looking at MTB's - and the salesman flat out said "to get a good MTB, you need to spend a min of 5k".

Different LBS - I was trying to help my very out of shape buddy get a basic $5-700 exercise bike - the salesman was pushing hard to get him into the 2k+ range.

Some people understand what they need vs what they want. Some people are oversold a bill of goods that they absolutely don't need - and naturally, being a business that has goals of profits - the bike industry will sell you hard on what you don't need.

I ride bikes in the 2k range. I can afford more, just choose not to. I do hear stuff like this often from other riders "well, that bike is OK for you". Mind you, I can't be or don't get offended by anything, so it makes me laugh. A guy will say something like "well, that aluminum frame and 105 is good enough for your level", then spout off about his this or that bike and CF wheels that cost more than my entire bike... then not be able to keep up on the long ride.

There are absolutely people out there who think the $$$$ parts are needed, vs wanted, for their 18-20 mph group rides.
Like I said in my post, I think this depends somewhat on where you live and the local biking culture. I'm pretty sure my LBS would not push a £5k mtb on someone just looking to get started. I haven't really come across any pushy bike sales people to be honest.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-23-23, 04:58 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Compatible parts for many years, eh?

It's already hard to find decent 10-speed Shimano components, and quality rim-brake wheel set selections are becoming thin.
Disagree on the wheel sets. If you're talking "Good" quality then Wheelmaster provides a wide variety of rim-brake wheel sets, in almost all hub sizes you could want and using a number of different rims. They're machine built so just double-check the true and tension, and they're good to go. I bought a set last year for my Fuji and am very happy with them. If you're talking high end, you can build any wheelset you want. There are plenty of good hubs.

I do agree on the 10-12 speed components. I've got a couple of 6-speed freewheels and the current Shimano freewheels are just not the same quality as they once were. Sunrace is no better. They're functional but I don't expect them to last very long.
Old 03-23-23, 05:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
And inverse snobbery never goes out of style on BF. Wow, you've been cycling for 50 years and still can't afford a bike that makes you feel good about yourself? Sadly, it's probably too late to find a better job.

So is this a 2 wrongs make a right post? Really crappy response to a dumb post if you ask me.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-23-23, 05:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Like I said in my post, I think this depends somewhat on where you live and the local biking culture. I'm pretty sure my LBS would not push a £5k mtb on someone just looking to get started. I haven't really come across any pushy bike sales people to be honest.

It happens here. I don't have any data on this, but I think there was a ridiculous inflation in items that were labeled "entry level", and that the marketers seem to have backed away from that at least a little.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-23-23, 05:10 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese

The industry of course needs to keep introducing new product with "higher tech" in order to keep the industry alive. Non-racers may in fact be faster because their cool new CF bike with electronic shifting and hydraulic disc brakes makes them get out there more, and motivates them to go faster.

There's nothing wrong with the way bicycles are marketed. If they couldn't find new ways to sell bikes by constantly introducing new features and "innovations", the industry wouldn't thrive. People on BF get butt-hurt when anyone says that, but it's worth pointing out that this same exact thing happens with ANY consumer product. Anyone else here seriously into home theater? Talk about pushing product. These same discussions are had in those forums.
Is it a cloudy day again on planet Luddite? Or are you really from planet Troll?
I sense you are butt-hurt.
Old 03-23-23, 05:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Jughed

I got clobbered by one of the posters on this thread for saying that I know people who actually ended up not buying any bike because they were overwhelmed by the " entry level" upselling.
The higher you define this as, the more likely people will be discouraged from "entering" because of their fear that money will end up being a waste. And this upselling includes kit as well as bikes, so the fear of the potential newbie just multiplies.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.