Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Type A vs. Type B Down Tube Shifter braze-on bosses

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-23, 03:42 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts

I have been trying to find a simple photo that can be easily used to identify the difference between a Type A and Type B braze-on.

in addition, A uses a 5mm screw while a B uses the narrower, uncommon 4.5mm screw.

Note: top frame is Type B, bottom is Type A

I hope this helps

Last edited by Het Volk; 09-17-23 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-17-23, 01:19 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
All I know is that the red frame's Type A shifter doesn't play well with others and is on a Schwinn Voyageur circa 1984-1985, which is a big reason why I didn't buy such a frame recently (didn't want to bother filing things).
Old 09-17-23, 10:36 AM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
All I know is that the red frame's Type A shifter doesn't play well with others and is on a Schwinn Voyageur circa 1984-1985, which is a big reason why I didn't buy such a frame recently (didn't want to bother filing things).

I am going to make an edit because the Top frame is a Type B while the bottom is Type A
Old 09-17-23, 10:56 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 1,410 Posts
Wait, which is which? Video says 'Type A' but shows the one on top (maybe that is just an unintentionally misleading still frame), whereas you mention the top one (red frame) being type B. But thank you, didn't even know different types existed. So the goofy, non-square one is type B?

Old 09-18-23, 11:36 AM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Wait, which is which? Video says 'Type A' but shows the one on top (maybe that is just an unintentionally misleading still frame), whereas you mention the top one (red frame) being type B. But thank you, didn't even know different types existed. So the goofy, non-square one is type B?
Yes. Top one is the Shimano Type B which was I guess, done for certain early 80’s bikes using specific Shimano group sets.

The bottom frame is the more common Type A.
Old 09-18-23, 05:59 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
A commonly posted issue. There are multiple threads about this, with solutions ranging from hunting down the parts, modifying the keyhole shaped mounts and threading, and converting to brifter or bar-end shifters. I did the latter with my 85 Centurion Ironman.

Here's a list of related threads:

Modification: Old style Shimano downtube shifter mounts to later style - Bike Forums

Shimano 600 shift lever woes on a Centurion - Bike Forums

Do I have "B" Style Shifter Bosses? - Page 2 - Bike Forums

Shimano 4.5mm Type-A Shifters / Downtube Braze-ons - What are my options? - Bike Forums

Help Me Out With Shifter Boss Covers on This Miiyata 912 - Bike Forums

cable stops for unusual downtube brazeons - Bike Forums

Downtube shifter boss compatibility - Bike Forums

https://simplicityvintagecycles.com/2...aga-continues/

There's an online vendor called Loose Screws, which used to be bike oriented, but has shifted to firearms. They still have old bike stuff for sale though, including stuff that might work for you.

Shimano Dura Ace 4.5mm Downtube Shifter Screw w/D-ring - I used these to get cable stops on my shifter mounts, for use with bar end shifters. I removed the D-rings by putting the screws upside down in a vice and tapping them with a hammer to pop-off the D-rings. Having the screws is half the battle. These are them.

Shimano Z-401 Friction Downtube Shifter Set - can't vouch for these and the description incorrectly describes them as "Italian type", which they're not.

Shimano Dura Ace EX Downtube Friction Shifters Set - another bad description, but looks suspiciously like the correct shifters.
Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 09-22-23, 05:08 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 89 Posts
These can be handy: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/sc...ead-size~m4-5/
Old 10-07-23, 05:19 PM
brewerkz 

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Madison, '46 Higgins Ultralite, 1950s Wally Green, '85 Trek 660, '82 3Rensho Export, '90 Trek 970, '91 Schwinn Paramount, '78 Dawes, '78 Trek 730

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 108 Posts
Type A components (Shimano Z series)

Last edited by brewerkz; 10-07-23 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-08-23, 08:17 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 545 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
I have been trying to find a simple photo that can be easily used to identify the difference between a Type A and Type B braze-on.

in addition, A uses a 5mm screw while a B uses the narrower, uncommon 4.5mm screw.

I hope this helps

RJ the Bike Guy - Shimano Type B shifter boss
I have a recently acquired Cilo frame with the type B bosses and the links posted above were very helpful. I think I am going to modify cable stops since I want to use handlebar mounted shifters but I’m still deciding between bar-ends or brifters. Either way, I need cable stops.

If one chooses to stick with downtube shifters, the only 3 options are clamp-on shifters (aesthetically unpleasant to my eyes) or the other 2 varieties you can find in the links above which are specific to these bosses.

The most extreme but effective solution is having the more common bosses brazed on but that would involve refinishing the frame.
Old 10-08-23, 09:53 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk

I hope this helps

RJ the Bike Guy - Shimano Type B shifter boss
No, the one on top is an "A-type" boss; the one on the bottom is a Campagnolo-type boss. "B-type" bosses are completely different:
Old 10-08-23, 02:36 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 545 Posts
I guess I was in error. I read the round bosses were the B and the normal/ Campy bosses were A.

I don’t internet well…
Old 10-08-23, 03:43 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
The Campagnolo style of boss dates back to 1953, I have an Italian frame that had them as original.
they were not used frequently.
I also have an Ideor that employs them. It dates from 1958.

Braze-ons were an active argument regarding frame strength and durability for a long time.