Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-24, 04:29 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
This isn't a bad rundown of the pros/cons of hooked vs hookless:
https://www.lightbicycle.com/newslet...explained.html
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-25-24, 04:32 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I think someone else mentioned it, but could we have a rundown on the advantages of hookless for the rider?
Allegedly, hookless wheels are slightly cheaper and slightly lighter, and have slightly thicker sidewalls which may better withstand one riding into the curb or a rock.
Old 02-25-24, 06:04 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Really not worth anything then at this point then. I can see why the manufacturers are keen, but I don't see any win for the rider. Be interesting to see if they keep pushing this direction or not. Not all manufacturers seem convinced.
I wonder whether the 10-to-15 grams of weight savings per wheel thanks to omitting the hooks is offset by the (probably) increased weight of the stiffer bead material of hookless-ready tires.
Old 02-25-24, 06:21 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Found that thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...less-rims.html
Old 02-25-24, 11:58 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I remember hearing about a rim manufacturer that considered making hookless rims and then gluing on a separate hook. Can't remember which company that was though...
Old 02-26-24, 01:31 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I remember hearing about a rim manufacturer that considered making hookless rims and then gluing on a separate hook. Can't remember which company that was though...
Probably faded into obscurity after the chief designer died in a bicycle crash
Old 02-26-24, 05:58 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
In additional to those reasons, I am chubby (90 kg) and cannot comply with hookless tire pressure maximum limits.
You would be more than fine at 65-70psi on 28mm and wider tires.
Old 02-26-24, 07:29 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I heard Primoz Roglic is no fan of popcorn. Seems like a pretty damning indictment of this snack food.
Popcorn is trash.

Old 02-26-24, 07:40 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Allegedly, hookless wheels are slightly cheaper and slightly lighter, and have slightly thicker sidewalls which may better withstand one riding into the curb or a rock.
I think it's not because the rim walls are thicker, but rather because the hooks are claimed to be the most vulnerable part in a rim strike.

I haven't tested this with my own cf rims (which are the same as yours), but I have had some huge hits with the hooked alloy rims on my gravel bike, and not managed to even ding one...So I'm not too worried about my hooked cf rims.
Old 02-26-24, 08:57 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I wonder whether the 10-to-15 grams of weight savings per wheel thanks to omitting the hooks is offset by the (probably) increased weight of the stiffer bead material of hookless-ready tires.
No idea, but it is insignificant enough not to care. I would need a far more compelling reason to go hookless than a trivial weight or cost saving.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-26-24, 09:08 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
What happens at the highest level of the sport should be of little consequence to me or most enthusiast riders.
I have read about the claimed benefits of hookless and after weighing the possible benefits with the possible drawbacks, I chose carbon wheels with a hook when I purchased new gravel wheels in January. It was a really easy decision, actually. No spoke holes for easy tubeless setup and hooks. The new rim profile is wider than my old gravel wheels so the tire profile is already less 'lightbulb' shaped than on my old wheels, and I really never found that to be a drawback on my old wheels. Hookless rim profiles help reduce the lightbulb shape, fwiw.

With hooks I dont have to care about tire selection and I dont have to worry about reaching/exceeding the hookless max psi if I put road tires on the wheels.
Based on the well cited Zipp 73psi max for hookless rims(and BTLOS at 70psi for 40mm deep), I cant ride 28mm tubeless tires based on the Silca calculator. I actually cant ride anything under a 30mm tire. My main road bike has 32mm tires on it, but it doesnt sit well with me that I wouldnt even be able to ride a 28mm tire unless it is underinflated. That doesnt seem like progress to me.

But for others- the tech may be what the want/need. They may view the 50g weight difference as worthwhile. They may view the tire profile difference as worthwhile. Thats cool. I wish I were good enough at cycling for that to make a meaningful difference for me.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-26-24, 09:42 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What happens at the highest level of the sport should be of little consequence to me or most enthusiast riders.

But for others- the tech may be what the want/need. They may view the 50g weight difference as worthwhile. They may view the tire profile difference as worthwhile. Thats cool. I wish I were good enough at cycling for that to make a meaningful difference for me.
This. When I was converting to tubeless six years ago one of my concerns was that not all tire/rim combinations play well together, and how am I to know when trying to buy? Now add in hookless and there’s yet another variable, one with potentially deadly consequences.

If some riders want hookless, fine, if some tire and rim manufacturers do or don’t want to support hookless, fine. All I want is a set of standards/guidelines to follow that will ensure my tires fit and stay on the rims, accounting for normal manufacturing variations and consumer pump gauge inaccuracies.

I’ve had my hooked carbon wheels for nearly six years now, I’ve used three different tires on them based on availability. But whenever I first try a new tire, I’ve mounted it on the rear, while running an already proven tire in front, on the theory that if there is a problem I’d rather have the rear blow and hopefully still be able to control the bike. I weigh about 96 kg, I’ve used 30-32mm tires, never exceeding 81-82 psi. So far so good.
Old 02-26-24, 09:50 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
CPA Riders’ Association Expresses Concerns over Hookless Tires (outsideonline.com)
Likes For big john:
Old 02-26-24, 10:08 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by PeteHski
No idea, but it is insignificant enough not to care. I would need a far more compelling reason to go hookless than a trivial weight or cost saving.
Yes. That was my point. I'm also dubious about the claim that the reduced cost of manufacture is being passed on to the customer.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-26-24, 10:14 AM
Trakhak

Thanks for posting that. The ranges of tolerances for tire/hookless rim fit and compatibility, even when they're adhered to, are coming to seem absurdly narrow.
Old 02-26-24, 10:19 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
Seems like a pretty damning indictment of this technology…
Grabbing my popcorn!
How was the show? I assumed you finished your popcorn and have moved on to Milk Duds.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 02-26-24 at 12:25 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-26-24, 11:05 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
Seems like a pretty damning indictment of this technology…
Grabbing my popcorn!
I am not going to take one high profile hookless blowout as the end all be all way of saying I told you so to all the hookless fans, but IMO hookless is simply stupid. Hookless does NOTHING for the consumer but maybe marginally lower MSRPs IF the manufacture passes that along. I am fine with tubeless for road, but the idea that you want to add one more element to an already pretty complicated matter in hookless makes no sense. It be one thing if hookless saved a ton of weight or wheels became so cheap that ever manufacture stocked every entry level race bike with carbon hookless wheels and tires somewhat similar to what Giant does, but that's not the case. IMO stick with hooked and in the meantime we can debate tubed vs tubeless.

Last edited by Jrasero; 02-27-24 at 07:52 PM.
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 02-26-24, 11:05 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
You would be more than fine at 65-70psi on 28mm and wider tires.
Not according to the Silca tire pressure calculator, putting me in the same boat as mstateglfr.

... Based on the well cited Zipp 73psi max for hookless rims(and BTLOS at 70psi for 40mm deep), I cant ride 28mm tubeless tires based on the Silca calculator. I actually cant ride anything under a 30mm tire. My main road bike has 32mm tires on it, but it doesnt sit well with me that I wouldnt even be able to ride a 28mm tire unless it is underinflated. That doesnt seem like progress to me. ...
Old 02-26-24, 11:44 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I think it's not because the rim walls are thicker, but rather because the hooks are claimed to be the most vulnerable part in a rim strike.

I haven't tested this with my own cf rims (which are the same as yours), but I have had some huge hits with the hooked alloy rims on my gravel bike, and not managed to even ding one...So I'm not too worried about my hooked cf rims.
The concept that you can make anything more resistant to impact damage by removing material has always escaped me. In cars, helmets, bulletproof vests ... more is almost always better protection. (Cars are actually a great example of removing material from the impact point. When I was growing up, cars had massive chrome bumpers that could easily handle quite a hard hit. Now to protect the driver, the entire car collapses. And the bumpers weigh nothing. Works. People live. But minor bumps cost $1000 easily.)

In almost everything out there, if you are trying to protect the unit that is the first point of impact, you add material at the point of impact. ("We are having trouble with the re-entry shields burning up on our manned spacecraft. So, we've decided to omit the shield entirely. This also saves about 3 tons; allowing us to carry three more passengers." Win, win. Cheaper, lighted, more paying payload. No?)

I have always considered the hook material in rims as well placed. Yes, it does not help in preventing sidewall failure from either too much pressure or rim brake wear; that will always be material on the flange and at the bottom of the unsupported portion but that is a different matter.

Says he who has gone back to hookless, flangeless rims on all his road bikes. Rims with no high pressure limit.
Old 02-26-24, 11:49 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The concept that you can make anything more resistant to impact damage by removing material has always escaped me.
It works if the material you remove eliminates the features that are prone to damage.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-26-24, 12:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
The concept that you can make anything more resistant to impact damage by removing material has always escaped me.
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It works if the material you remove eliminates the features that are prone to damage.
TC is exactly correct. The hook is the most vulnerable part of the rim -- and hence its elimination does make the rim stronger. The question, though, is whether the rim is already strong enough.
Old 02-26-24, 12:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Except pro riders are required to ride bikes sold to the public. Yes, this gets pretty fudgy but the intent is that you and I can go out and buy what so-and-so is riding at the Tour de France. So what happens at the highest level does influence what happens at our level (and vice versa). Innovation is driven to a large degree by a mix of seeking pro results, marketing and sales. Skip the hooks and you can roll out lighter rims to the pros (and everyone else who wants cutting edge) faster and cheaper. Those hooks require real investment in engineering and tooling. One piece molds cannot do it. Or a second step is required.
Old 02-26-24, 12:23 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Koyote
TC is exactly correct. The hook is the most vulnerable part of the rim -- and hence its elimination does make the rim stronger. The question, though, is whether the rim is already strong enough.
I went to the Flo website for a comparison of hooked and hookless rims. https://blog.flocycling.com/carbon-w...hookless-rims/ Eye opener for me. Those CF hooked sidewalls are thin. No wonder they break. The hookless looks like a 35 year old sewup rims. (So tweak the hookless rim slightly, glue that sewup on, run half the sealant and skip the insert. Light, probably near as fast, no limits on tire pressure and safe. Development costs? Done already! Yes, never going to happen despite being so easy.)
Old 02-26-24, 01:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Except pro riders are required to ride bikes sold to the public. Yes, this gets pretty fudgy but the intent is that you and I can go out and buy what so-and-so is riding at the Tour de France. So what happens at the highest level does influence what happens at our level (and vice versa). Innovation is driven to a large degree by a mix of seeking pro results, marketing and sales. Skip the hooks and you can roll out lighter rims to the pros (and everyone else who wants cutting edge) faster and cheaper. Those hooks require real investment in engineering and tooling. One piece molds cannot do it. Or a second step is required.
Nothing in your response here counters my comment. Again, what is done at the WT or similar level should be of little consequence to me or most enthusiast riders.
Bikes ridden by WT teams being available to the common folk doesnt mean I should be heavily influenced, or even minorly influenced. There are so many steps between WT level bikes and what most enthusiasts as a whole ride that there are a seemingly endless number of options to pick from.

Groupsets are mechanical and electronic.
Groupsets are mechanical and hydraulic.
Frames are carbon, aluminum, steel, and titanium.
Rims, spokes, and hubs are steel, aluminum, and carbon.

etc etc etc.

Just because a design or material is used on WT bikes doesnt mean everyone that views themselves as an enthusiast cyclist should be impacted. They can ride carbon frames with carbon rims, hubs, and spokes along with di2 shifting while an enthusiast can ride a steel frame with a carbon fork, steel spokes, aluminum hubs, carbon rims, and mechanical shifting.

The WT is littered with things that give them incremental gains- helmet, glasses, narrower bars, deep wheels, skinsuit, carbon sole shoes, etc etc etc- yet while those are for sale for all to use, there is no need for the common folk to use them because there are so many other options available.
Old 02-26-24, 02:21 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Not according to the Silca tire pressure calculator, putting me in the same boat as mstateglfr.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/tire-pressure

Drops to 63PSI if you're using 22.4mm inner width rims.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.