Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Cycling Shoes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road Cycling Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-24, 06:44 AM
tome.pires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road Cycling Shoes

Hey everybody,

I'm in a dilema and i need some help. I want to buy a knew cycling shoes at the max of 200/250€, with carbon sole and with a nice breathability and confort. After some research e believe Shimano RC702 or dmt kr30 are the best. What do you think guys?
There is any others cycling shoes that i have to be in count?

Thank you all
Old 03-18-24, 07:06 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
With shoes it really comes down to personal fit. So focus mostly on fitting, especially width and volume. Also pay attention to arch support. Standard insoles tend to be a bit flat and unsupportive. Other brands worth considering? Specialized, Lake, Fizik, SIdi, Giro and many others.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-18-24, 07:49 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
have you looked at DHBs?

Old 03-18-24, 09:12 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
There are a dozen shoe companies, best bet is to go to a local shop that has a good selection and try them on.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-18-24, 09:17 AM
shapiroeric

Bikes: Storck Aerfast Platinum

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 26 Posts
Everyone is different....I have settled on Lake CX332 as I have a wide foot....by far the most comfortable for me....they make a wide range of shoes in a good price range
Old 03-18-24, 09:33 AM
McFlyRides

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Try them on—whether locally or through an online retailer that lets you return. Of course you can’t actually mount cleats or test ride them, but it’s all about the right fit for your foot. Testing on your carpet at home is better than nothing. I bought and sent back a number of pairs online before settling on Shimano’s s-phyre model. I tried to like other cheaper options, but that’s what made my feet happy.
Old 03-18-24, 10:12 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
There is no objectively best shoe even taking budget into account.

I like Sidis. I don’t like velcro.
Likes For choddo:
Old 03-18-24, 10:23 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
With shoes it really comes down to personal fit. So focus mostly on fitting, especially width and volume. Also pay attention to arch support. Standard insoles tend to be a bit flat and unsupportive. Other brands worth considering? Specialized, Lake, Fizik, SIdi, Giro and many others.
For me, flat is better. I have a thin foot, low instep, and low arches. Most insoles with medium to high arch support cause me significant discomfort. I really love the way Sidis look, but just can't get them to work with my feet, despite trying multiple tweaks with insoles and other magic. Most recently, I've been using Bont Riot+ for both road and MTB. The heat-moldable carbon tub was very helpful in making them work for me, but finding the right insole and adding padding to the underside of the tongue was necessary to fill the shoe with enough volume to tighten properly, and I still get some heel slippage. At a LBS recently, I tried on some Shimano XC702s - OMG!! I've never had a shoe be so close to perfect, right out of the box. I found an excellent deal on some RC902s, and they are simply great for my feet, without any special adjustments other than removing the adjustable arch support on the stock insole. I have some XC902s on the way to me soon.

All that said, your experience with Shimano shoes, Bont shoes, Sidi shoes, or any other shoes might be totally different than mine. Feet are weird.
Old 03-18-24, 10:29 AM
McFlyRides

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
And I forgot to mention I had a bike fit that put me in bontrager’s level 1 (I think) insoles.
Old 03-18-24, 10:35 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I hunt for bargains. I've had Sidi and custom shoes, but now use some cheap Fizik that work just fine.
Old 03-18-24, 11:25 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Eric F
For me, flat is better. I have a thin foot, low instep, and low arches. Most insoles with medium to high arch support cause me significant discomfort. I really love the way Sidis look, but just can't get them to work with my feet, despite trying multiple tweaks with insoles and other magic. Most recently, I've been using Bont Riot+ for both road and MTB. The heat-moldable carbon tub was very helpful in making them work for me, but finding the right insole and adding padding to the underside of the tongue was necessary to fill the shoe with enough volume to tighten properly, and I still get some heel slippage. At a LBS recently, I tried on some Shimano XC702s - OMG!! I've never had a shoe be so close to perfect, right out of the box. I found an excellent deal on some RC902s, and they are simply great for my feet, without any special adjustments other than removing the adjustable arch support on the stock insole. I have some XC902s on the way to me soon.

All that said, your experience with Shimano shoes, Bont shoes, Sidi shoes, or any other shoes might be totally different than mine. Feet are weird.
Yeah good points. I should really have said too flat for my feet. Which really emphasises just how individual shoe fitting is. My feet are wide and my arches about average height, but I prefer a little more arch support for cycling as I find it helps with force feedback (I forget the fancy term for this). My preferred shoes are wide fit Fizik models, plus the green (high arch) Specialized insoles. I do have a pair of Shimano RC7s too, but they don't work for me on longer rides.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-18-24, 11:49 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yeah good points. I should really have said too flat for my feet. Which really emphasises just how individual shoe fitting is. My feet are wide and my arches about average height, but I prefer a little more arch support for cycling as I find it helps with force feedback (I forget the fancy term for this). My preferred shoes are wide fit Fizik models, plus the green (high arch) Specialized insoles. I do have a pair of Shimano RC7s too, but they don't work for me on longer rides.
What I also found is that the fore-aft location of the arch support is also important. Some insoles I tried had the highest point of the arch too far forward for me, and it was as uncomfortable as having too much arch. For my MTB Bonts, I tried a heat-moldable insole (PowerStep) that was helpful for making that shoe work for me.
Old 03-20-24, 10:49 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
buy bigger than you think you need. many people experience some swelling in the toes at about 90 minutes, and it's painful. plenty of room in the toe-box addresses this.
Old 03-20-24, 11:15 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Nobody can suggest what shoes to buy because the only way to know is to try them on. The shoes need to be suitable for your individual foot and sole shape.
Old 03-20-24, 03:19 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
buy bigger than you think you need. many people experience some swelling in the toes at about 90 minutes, and it's painful. plenty of room in the toe-box addresses this.
This is good advice. Slightly too big rarely causes an issue, but even slightly too small can be a show-stopper on a long ride. Ask me how I know!
Old 03-23-24, 12:43 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Fit is all that matters.
Old 03-27-24, 06:47 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
For me, flat is better. I have a thin foot, low instep, and low arches. ... At a LBS recently, I tried on some Shimano XC702s - OMG!! I've never had a shoe be so close to perfect, right out of the box. I found an excellent deal on some RC902s, and they are simply great for my feet, without any special adjustments other than removing the adjustable arch support on the stock insole. ...
I also have narrow, flat feet and find that Shimano shoes work well out of the box. Another carbon shoe that has a similar feel is Giro Empire SLX, although they are too sexy -- as well as harder to put on and take off -- for me to put as many miles on them.
Old 03-28-24, 07:05 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Lake shoes. By far the most comfy shoes and true to the size on their charts. No need to upsize to compensate. In addition, the leather just feels sooooo good.
Old 03-29-24, 04:36 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I have used several different brands of shoes, I had some really comfortable Bontrager, Sidi, and Shimano, each one had their plus and minus, but ultimately for road, I found the one specific model for Bontrager worked best for me, but in the mountain\gravel side, Shimano XC shoes were my go to. Shoes are like saddles, you have to find what works best for you.

Old 04-02-24, 04:24 PM
biglmbass

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I found happy feet w’ Sidi full carbon soles. Feet get even more happy when adding a Specialized Body Geometry SL footbed. The blue ones (med) suit me best
Old 04-02-24, 04:53 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Grrr...The Shimano XC902s I bought (new) from the big auction site are the "wide" version, which was not indicated anywhere. I was able to get them to almost be good for my feet, but not quite good enough to settle. If you know where to look (not far away) they can be yours for an attractive price.
Old 04-06-24, 11:51 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
There are a dozen shoe companies, best bet is to go to a local shop that has a good selection and try them on.
+100

Helmets, saddles, shoes. The only way to know which is right for you is to try them yourself.

Unlike foot retention, where it has been long settled that Shimano road pedals are the best.

I've had success with Sidi but their insoles aren't the best for my feet. I tried a few different ones and found SuperFeet running insoles to feel the best.