Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-15, 08:14 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
My god almost everyone in that picture is overweight. That's incredible.
That's south carolina for you! To be fair though, there are lots of non overweight people, as well.
Old 05-26-15, 08:16 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
commute last week was great, i got to participate and volunteer for Transportation alternatives bike month commuter stations. we gave away free ice coffee, free coconut water, and free kind bars. along with some other goodies. i volunteered for about an hour before i rode into work.

had a long weekend in the adirondacks, hiking and rock climbing which was great.

this morning i commuted by running! i had never done it before and found a reason to do so - i left my bike in bike storage at work! so off i went. it was about double the time it takes me to ride but it was nice. perfect weather in the AM.
Old 05-26-15, 08:36 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Lovely ride to the office today, 15C, sunny, low winds.

I rode my fixie, and today was the first time I rode the whole way without using the brake. Yay me!
Old 05-26-15, 09:35 AM
esmith2039

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
After out of town for training first commute since the 15th. Wet and of course into the wind. Currently the wind is the same but that'll change for the route home.
Old 05-26-15, 09:37 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,495 Times in 1,448 Posts
I almost rode to work, but I decided the ride from work to my evening dress rehearsal would cost me too much time. It would take two hours, according to Google. Too bad, though, because it's such a nice day.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-26-15, 11:19 AM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by esmith2039
After out of town for training first commute since the 15th. Wet and of course into the wind. Currently the wind is the same but that'll change for the route home.
LOL!! Yep!
Old 05-26-15, 03:22 PM
bconneraz

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I had an unexpected ride to work today; it seems that my car battery is toast, so I rode. It was beautiful out. In light of current events, I've treated myself to a day off tomorrow; I'll pull the battery, load it up on my Big Dummy, and pedal down to get a replacement. As a bike nerd, I find it almost fun when things like this happen. Bicycles sure make car problems easy to deal with.

On days that I ride, I usually walk up the street to grab some lunch. I came up on this lovely lady at the crosswalk today. Of course I nicely tried to tell her that her helmet was backwards; she gave me a really friendly look, and continued on her way. I tried......

Last edited by bconneraz; 05-26-15 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-26-15, 08:41 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Heavy rain on the way home tonight. It was fun...but the feet got soaked and that felt weird.
Old 05-27-15, 05:03 AM
esmith2039

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by heywood
LOL!! Yep!
And it did although it was just cross wind almost just as bad!

Perfect this morning.. cool starting out and not to warm arriving. Brought the rest of the books from my training last week heavy! Think on the days I feel frisky I may haul a couple books around just for the challenge.
Old 05-27-15, 06:40 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by snow_echo_NY
this morning i commuted by running! i had never done it before and found a reason to do so - i left my bike in bike storage at work! so off i went. it was about double the time it takes me to ride but it was nice. perfect weather in the AM.
Sweet! How many miles? Did you wear a backpack or just not need much stuff anyway?

Originally Posted by bconneraz
On days that I ride, I usually walk up the street to grab some lunch. I came up on this lovely lady at the crosswalk today. Of course I nicely tried to tell her that her helmet was backwards; she gave me a really friendly look, and continued on her way. I tried......
Awesome. I saw that once in a triathlon for beginners. Maybe a new fad or something.

Nice ride in this morning. I felt a few drops coming in and there is rain in the forecast, but it has been several weeks since we've had any so I'm hoping it happens. I felt pretty sluggish, but that may be due to having gotten up at 4am to run 12 miles before the bike commute.
Old 05-27-15, 07:04 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Sweet! How many miles? Did you wear a backpack or just not need much stuff anyway?
4.5 miles
and yes i did wear a lightweight backpack, one of these: Oakley Factory Lite Backpack | Official Oakley Store which is actually what i use when i bike commute.

it basically contained a few clothes, while other clothes were at the office. i stripped my wallet and took only a few things. it worked out well
Old 05-27-15, 07:48 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
For the past week, I've been "commuting" from Pittsburgh to Washington DC on the GAP-C&O Canal trails, averaging about 60 miles/day. Today I'm back in the real world, riding to work again. Tough ride to work this morning as my legs were tired from all the miles we racked up on our tour, there was a head wind, and I'm having to reacquaint myself to riding on the hills.
Did you write up your trip anywhere? Hoping to do that ride myself later this summer.

63F this morning and dry, pretty stiff headwind
Old 05-27-15, 09:29 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Nice little pre-work ride today, 13C, negligible wind. Noticed a bit of excess float in my left shoe/pedal, and and later in the ride, found I couldn't clip in. Pulled over, and discovered a very loose cleat, with one screw close to falling out. Oops. Tightened it up and was on my way.
Old 05-27-15, 12:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,495 Times in 1,448 Posts
I had a nice tail wind coming into work today. It's a warm day, but there were a few very cool breezes coming off the river. Very pleasant.

I think my new, nicer route only costs me about five or ten minutes, and it avoids a couple of miles of icky city traffic. It's much hillier, but that doesn't mean it's super hilly for me. As you can see in my route, there are some steep climbs at the end, and I have to walk up them since I'm riding my fixed gear bike lately, but I've come to accept that.

I have to visit a doctor in midtown later today, and I forgot my bike lock, so I'll leave my bike at work and take the subway home.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-27-15, 02:01 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike to work week here.
Monday AM was good...a bit of drizzle. I got violently ill mid-day and got a ride home (left the bike at work).
Rode my MTB tuesday AM, and the road bike back home in the PM.
I still have 2 bikes at work though. lol.
Old 05-27-15, 05:55 PM
mustridebikes

Bikes: Novara Randonee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not too bad today. Toasty warm tailwind today on the ride home for the first few miles, turned into a good crosswind toward the end of the ride. Summer weather is here for sure!
Old 05-28-15, 05:09 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 92 Posts
It was my first ride in this week and it was a nice uneventful ride. Though this afternoon is supposed to have storms, but I will deal with that when it happens.
Old 05-28-15, 06:06 AM
Armycopter

Bikes: MOTOBECANE MIRAGE SLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride in this morning. Crossed over the 100 mile mark on my new bike!
Old 05-28-15, 06:37 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
A pretty hot ride home yesterday, though we still haven't gotten to the real summer temps yet. A visit to the pool with my daughters felt great.

Muggy and overcast this morning. I added a couple of miles on the way in. I've been getting 26 - 27 miles round trip per day in hopes to slowly improve my ranking on the National Bike Challenge. Not that it matters for anything, but it motivates me to leave a little earlier and take advantage of the longer days.
Old 05-28-15, 07:26 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
Did you write up your trip anywhere? Hoping to do that ride myself later this summer.

63F this morning and dry, pretty stiff headwind
I posted a journal on the Crazy Guy site from last year's trip. Here's a link:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/..._id=14451&v=3k

This year's trip was pretty similar, but we went a month earlier. The weather was cooler and trails were in better shape due to less rain recently. We stayed in the same towns every night but our lodgings were different in two places. I enjoyed the trip even more this year due to the cooler weather, abundance of wildflowers and trail conditions. My new touring bike (Soma Saga) also was better suited for the trails and had room for larger tires with more tread, which was a big improvement in comfort and handling.
Old 05-28-15, 07:32 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Perfect weather allowed me to make great time. Got a scare though when a big dog bolted out through the screen door and charged at me. A startled, "Whoa!" yelled by me stopped him in his tracks however.

I need to remember that trick for future use.
Old 05-28-15, 07:35 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Back in commute mode today after taking a rest yesterday. My legs were simply fried from all of the riding I had done over the past week, and weather forecasts were calling for afternoon thunderstorms. The storms didn't arrive until about 7 pm, so I could have made it safely home but my legs appreciated the rest. I felt much better this morning and hopefully the afternoon storms will hold off like they did yesterday.
Old 05-28-15, 07:59 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I posted a journal on the Crazy Guy site from last year's trip. Here's a link:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/..._id=14451&v=3k
Excellent! Today was one of those days I wonder why people drive to work!
Old 05-28-15, 08:16 AM
beerRun
still a newb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Despite having a cold, I rode in.

The good news was I debated for half an hour about not coming into work at all and that allowed a storm to pass. The bad news was my cold-addled brain forgot several things (that it's trash day, to wear a helmet---although that made for a nicer ride---and to wear sunglasses).

My butt got a bit wet (don't have fenders), but my-oh-my is the world beautiful after a storm.
Old 05-28-15, 09:50 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
A guy passed me at 0.25mph faster than I was going so I drafted him the next couple miles until he turned off. Too many peds and intersections for me to offer to go first if he would have even wanted me to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.