Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-16, 06:02 PM
BigSung

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@mainstreetexile nice find! Congrats!
Old 09-29-16, 10:04 AM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
im still on the hunt for a crankset. I want a shimano m730 but probably wont pay the prices they go for. I am hoping i find one on a donor or one on the cheap. I have a sugino at 110 bcd that needs rings but the rings are spendy. Again....looking for rings on the cheap. Love this thread though. Lots of great looking Cimarrons.

I was able to find a front an rear shimano xt mech in great shape, brakes, bb, new wheelset with new panaracers, new 8sp cassette, seatpost and binder. Im almost there. I just need bars......i will probably go drop bars because i have a set of suntour barcons just waiting to be used. I havent decided if i will go with a traditional quill stem. I have a few of them. Or...if i will go with an adapter. VeloOrange makes some great looking polished ones that work well. That way i can experiment with stem lengths without too much fussing.
Old 10-22-16, 05:07 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Well, I finally got around to making some changes to my '85 Cimarron, finished up in the '80s and relatively unchanged since. My bro-in-law and I are planning a trip to the C&O Monday for a couple of days of out-and-back riding and he is taking his KHS mountain bike, so I abandoned my plan to ride the RB-T and decided to mod the Schwinn. Most important is fenders and the existing generator set prevents mounting a rear fender. In addition, I'll probably just use battery lights from now on so time to bag the genset.

The orange Kangaroo Baggs were fished out of a dumpster in the '70s and usually live on my Raleigh Sports as the "riding around" bags in town. The neon-green fenders are Zefals, I think, and were found about 20 years ago with no stays at a Cycle Madness sale. Time to put this stuff to work. I also plan to add drop bars but still need to find barcons, so that will have to wait. Green bike just cries out for green fenders, doncha think? Pretty cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cim orange bags.jpg (99.2 KB, 829 views)
Cim Sanyo.JPG (92.9 KB, 827 views)
Cim fenders.jpg (98.0 KB, 818 views)

Last edited by thumpism; 10-22-16 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-25-16, 03:09 PM
Reddbiker

Bikes: 69 Raleigh Sports, 69 Dunelt 3spd, 84 Raleigh Tamarack, 86 Dahon Classic III, 87 Schwinn Cimarron, 88 Peugeot Anjou, 89 Bridgestone MB-4, 93 Bridgestone XO-5, 93 Schwinn Criss Cross, 95 Cignal Melbourne Express Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Derailleur Cable Anchor Bolt

Hi all, I recenlty aquired a 1989 Cimarron that wasn't quite complete, it's missing the cable anchor bolts on the front and rear derailleurs. Pretty sure I can get just basic shimano bolts but figured I'd ask if any of you with an 89 could take a pic of the anchor bolts so I can be sure? Thanks!
Old 03-03-17, 04:22 PM
SquirrelCutter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I am sad to learn today that my 1989 Schwinn Cimarron has a crack in the downtube near the headtube and 3 frame builders have pronounced it terminal.

I've had that thing for 25 years, it has seen at least half a dozen different configurations, but now it is destined for the scrap heap I guess.

Last edited by SquirrelCutter; 03-03-17 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-02-17, 11:42 AM
scale

hmm.....so i mounted my sugino at cranks and new sealed bb. I had to put a 2mm spacer under the drive side cup so the inner most chainring bolts wouldnt hit the frame. With the way the rear stays are, the crank is really close to hitting on the non drive side. Id say 2-3mm. Is this normal? Actually both sides are quite close but the non drive side is closer now that i have had to shim it. How close is too close from the crank arm to the stays? I am running a 127mm un55 for spindle length...

Last edited by scale; 04-02-17 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-03-17, 08:57 AM
scale

can i ask a favor. Can someone post a picture of how close your crank arms are to the stays on both sides as they pass?

IM so close to having this thing together.
Old 04-04-17, 06:58 PM
scale

nobody?
Old 04-15-17, 01:58 PM
scale

I threw a new wheelset and a 9 speed cassette on mine.......the front has a 46/36/34 and the rears largest is a 32t. It doesnt seem i can get a chain to fit with a long cage rear and and run the large ring in the rear and front. THe chain is just a bit too short. IF i run one more link, when i go onto the smallest rings 24 in the front and 11 in the rear...the chain is too loose. I think i should probably try to find a 26t in the front to take up that slack perhaps or just know i can use both my big rings at the same time......which would be fine. It would be weird to be in that gear given all the others i have to choose from. RUnning suntour barcons and drop bars currently. Still adjusting trying to get everything just right......i might change up the stems. The stem i have (sunlite) is plently long but the reach is a bit much. I might have to play with that. Also....i need a bottom bracket cable guide for my shifter cables. . Its getting close. I have racks for it and everything.
Old 04-15-17, 04:37 PM
ApolloSoyuz1975

Bikes: Cannondale SR400 (3.0). Phat t00bs!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scale
can i ask a favor. Can someone post a picture of how close your crank arms are to the stays on both sides as they pass?

IM so close to having this thing together.
I don't have a Cimarron, but I can tell you that when I installed a Sugino crank on my road bike, the normal fitment was to have the inner chainring with just a few mm of clearance. HTH
Old 04-19-17, 05:29 PM
BigSung

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Normally you should not be using big/big nor small/small combination.

I threw a new wheelset and a 9 speed cassette on mine.......the front has a 46/36/34 and the rears largest is a 32t. It doesnt seem i can get a chain to fit with a long cage rear and and run the large ring in the rear and front. THe chain is just a bit too short. IF i run one more link, when i go onto the smallest rings 24 in the front and 11 in the rear...the chain is too loose. I think i should probably try to find a 26t in the front to take up that slack perhaps or just know i can use both my big rings at the same time......which would be fine. It would be weird to be in that gear given all the others i have to choose from. RUnning suntour barcons and drop bars currently. Still adjusting trying to get everything just right......i might change up the stems. The stem i have (sunlite) is plently long but the reach is a bit much. I might have to play with that. Also....i need a bottom bracket cable guide for my shifter cables. . Its getting close. I have racks for it and everything.
Old 05-04-17, 10:24 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
What are the widest tires anyone has run on their Cimarron?

I'm looking to replacing the 1.75 Continental Touring Contact tires with something more plush for city use and I'm curious as to what others have put on their Cimarron. BTW mine is a 1985 model. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm also thinking of moving from the stock high rise bars to butterfly/trekking bars and would like to see any pictures of Cimarrons with them and what stem is used.
- Thanks
Old 05-04-17, 10:33 AM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
What are the widest tires anyone has run on their Cimarron?

I'm looking to replacing the 1.75 Continental Touring Contact tires with something more plush for city use and I'm curious as to what others have put on their Cimarron. BTW mine is a 1985 model. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm also thinking of moving from the stock high rise bars to butterfly/trekking bars and would like to see any pictures of Cimarrons with them and what stem is used.
- Thanks
Currently building up an 86. Have Compass RTP 26in x 2.3 that fit with plenty of room. Added a Nitto Bullmoose bar as well. Will update with more photos when done.

Old 05-04-17, 11:22 AM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I've been running 26x1.5" Vittoria Randonneur Pros on my drop bar 85 for a few years (the rear is almost out of tread now), and they're a good mix of speed/weight for longer rides and tire width for dealing with bad pavement on city streets.

I have 26x2" Schwalbe Marathons on my other 85 Cimarron that I have set up as a townie bike for my girlfriend. Heavier, but nice and plush, the extra width is really helpful for surprise potholes. I had used these on my bike first, and really noticed the extra weight on longer rides, but they work great for just getting around town.

Both the randonneurs and the marathons have a reflective sidewall, and after riding with reflective tires in the city for a while, I don't think I'll ever go back.

Those Compass RTPs up above ^^^ look sweet on that seafoam 86. I'd seen those tires before, but never on a Cimarron. I always liked the idea of them, but I have a hard time paying 60+ per tire and I don't think I've ever seen them on sale. The 2.3" size designation is a little spurious though, just read up on them a bit more and found this on the Compass site:

The nominal width of the Rat Trap Pass tires is 2.3″, but on most rims, the tires measure 52 mm (with tubes) and 54 mm (tubeless).

So with tubes, they're really only 2" tires (or around 1-2mm wider).
Old 05-04-17, 12:34 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mainstreetexile
I've been running 26x1.5" Vittoria Randonneur Pros on my drop bar 85 for a few years (the rear is almost out of tread now), and they're a good mix of speed/weight for longer rides and tire width for dealing with bad pavement on city streets.

I have 26x2" Schwalbe Marathons on my other 85 Cimarron that I have set up as a townie bike for my girlfriend. Heavier, but nice and plush, the extra width is really helpful for surprise potholes. I had used these on my bike first, and really noticed the extra weight on longer rides, but they work great for just getting around town.

Both the randonneurs and the marathons have a reflective sidewall, and after riding with reflective tires in the city for a while, I don't think I'll ever go back.

Those Compass RTPs up above ^^^ look sweet on that seafoam 86. I'd seen those tires before, but never on a Cimarron. I always liked the idea of them, but I have a hard time paying 60+ per tire and I don't think I've ever seen them on sale. The 2.3" size designation is a little spurious though, just read up on them a bit more and found this on the Compass site:

The nominal width of the Rat Trap Pass tires is 2.3″, but on most rims, the tires measure 52 mm (with tubes) and 54 mm (tubeless).

So with tubes, they're really only 2" tires (or around 1-2mm wider).
I've used 27 x 1 1/4 Schwalbe Marathons on another bike and agree they are heavy but the ride is comfy. If I was down to 1 or 2 bikes I would maybe consider the expense of the Compass tires but they are a bit pricey for me too.

@toavii - that is a really great looking Cimarron with those tires!
Old 05-04-17, 04:10 PM
pelallito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to Forum, Have Cimarron

Hello,
I just found this forum and have been reading a lot in it, and have tried internet searches for info on the Cimarron, without a lot of luck. I would like to find a factory manual
I bought mine new, and never rode it very much. It was on a clearance sale. Its been in my garage for over 25 years. I have to get it out and try to figure out when it was made. Can some one tell me what and where to look for that info.
There seems to be a lot of information on a site mombat.org, but I can't seem to look at anything there.
I will post photos after I clean it up.
Thanks for your help.
Fred
Old 05-04-17, 04:57 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Post a clear close-up picture of the serial number (underside of the bottom bracket housing) and especially the 4-digit number stamped in the headbadge. The former will indicate when the frame was stamped, the latter will indicate when the bike was actually assembled.
Old 05-04-17, 05:13 PM
scale

Originally Posted by pelallito
Hello,
I just found this forum and have been reading a lot in it, and have tried internet searches for info on the Cimarron, without a lot of luck. I would like to find a factory manual
I bought mine new, and never rode it very much. It was on a clearance sale. Its been in my garage for over 25 years. I have to get it out and try to figure out when it was made. Can some one tell me what and where to look for that info.
There seems to be a lot of information on a site mombat.org, but I can't seem to look at anything there.
I will post photos after I clean it up.
Thanks for your help.
Fred
Interesting. Do a before and after I want to see pictures.
Old 05-12-17, 04:40 PM
pelallito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting. Do a before and after I want to see pictures.
Sorry guys, I have had work and family obligations keeping me busy. I will try to get photos tomorrow.
Fred
Old 05-12-17, 05:16 PM
scale

i made good progress on mine today....as in it is ridable finally. Got the brakes together today and got on it for the first time today. SO far so good. Ill try and post pictures soon.
It still needs bar tape as i am still adjusting everything.
Old 05-12-17, 05:27 PM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Suppose I'll throw the mostly finished product in here even though I created another thread for it.

Old 05-12-17, 06:25 PM
Keeshimself

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been lurking on the forums for a while and this thread has seriously peaked my interest in these bikes. I was lucky enough to find one locally (which if I was a betting man these don't turn up often in Montana.)

The description says the paints is rough and It doesn't appear to have the orignal stem, handle bars, and maybe some other random bits.

I can't post links but it's listed for $115. Any thoughts? I don't have enough posts to posts urls...but it can be seen on Great Falls, Montana craiglist.

Last edited by Keeshimself; 05-12-17 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-13-17, 01:07 PM
Santuri32

Bikes: Some 80s MTBs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Beautiful bikes congrats to all on your vintage Schwinn steel steeds. I am not sure how did Schwinn measure the frame, was it Center to center?, thanks. Attached, hopefully is a picture of my perhaps un-ridden 87 in Sunrise red, debating if ridding her .

I spot 9 differences on my bike from the advertisement pic. Good luck finding them !
Attached Images
New-My_87 Cimarron.jpg (103.1 KB, 627 views)
Old 05-13-17, 01:38 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 2,283 Times in 1,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Keeshimself
Been lurking on the forums for a while and this thread has seriously peaked my interest in these bikes. I was lucky enough to find one locally (which if I was a betting man these don't turn up often in Montana.)

The description says the paints is rough and It doesn't appear to have the orignal stem, handle bars, and maybe some other random bits.

I can't post links but it's listed for $115. Any thoughts? I don't have enough posts to posts urls...but it can be seen on Great Falls, Montana craiglist.
Assist:

'88 maybe? The price is good enough that if it fits, this should be an easy buy, especially since you won't see another one in such a small market. If you feel guilty about it, think about the quality of bike you'd get at Target for $100. The Softride stem might even have some resale value.

80's Schwinn Cimarron mountain bike - $115 (G Falls)

https://greatfalls.craigslist.org/bik/6121329685.html

Old 05-13-17, 06:23 PM
Keeshimself

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input Clang. I might pull the trigger, I need to settle some funds and decide what to do with some other bikes. I really want it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.