Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Nutrition/ Protein bar Question

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-11, 09:53 AM
flyingscotsman
Nothing here to see!!!!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wondering if anybody here has any recommendations for a protein bar for my wife, she is looking for something that if she ends up skipping a meal she could have a protein bar.

Problem is she has an allergy to Soy and may also have an allergy to lactose; she dried some of the meal replacement drinks and did not to that good with them.

Hoping somebody on here has some suggestions.
Old 09-06-11, 10:15 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 36 Posts
Problem is she has an allergy to Soy and may also have an allergy to lactose; she dried some of the meal replacement drinks and did not to that good with them.
There are web sites that address those kinds of issues. Its likely they have more informative advice.

You see, protein bars aren't really "meal replacements." They were actually invented as the "best of the worst" options available. (no matter what commercials say)
Old 09-06-11, 03:29 PM
flyingscotsman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you by chance have any of the websites, I keep finding sites trying to sell soy protein etc.
Old 09-06-11, 05:50 PM
tadawdy
Faster than yesterday

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd try to verify the lactose allergy.

Like richard said, protein bars are very rarely the best option. Maybe for storing in a desk drawer for the indefinite future date when you really need it, but most have both soy and lactose (soy is the cheapest protein, and you get more lactose in the cheap whey protein concentrates). Soy-free can be done much more easily than soy-free, casein-free, whey-free...basically, don't assume the lactose is the issue.

A google search got me here

When your wife tried meal replacement drinks, which ones are you referring to? If it was one you have to mix yourself, inadequate mixing of whey protein isolate or concentrate can definitely cause GI distress because it tends to clump. Some also have sugar alcohols or other oddball sweeteners known to cause digestive issues in some people.

If all else fails, some nuts and something like a carton of UHT-pasteurized milk can be stored and (if lactose is not the problem) will at least keep you going.
Old 09-06-11, 06:57 PM
flyingscotsman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The allergy testing is extremely inconclusive, over the years she has been diagnosed as allergic to everything and nothing. I even once made her a birthday cake that had no gluten, soy, egg or dairy and it actually tasted good.

Best guess is that she has mild allergies that build up, so for the likes of the lactose she has been tested as allergic & not allergic if she has milk to often it trips her up.

She hates eating breakfast and alas best of the worst may be a better option, saw something in the link that had a clif C bar that looked like that could be something for her to try.

Thanks for the help for some reason when I was looking I guess I was focusing on meal replacement and I would rather her eat something than nothing for breakfast.