Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Ever hear of this lighting/charging arrangement??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-17, 03:44 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Ever hear of this lighting/charging arrangement??

There's 3+ forums I could post this under, but I'll start here:

I was watching either a touring video clip or a ultracycling video, and the rider had a battery pack in a frame bag or top-tube bag. This guy was able to run his headlight and charge a phone or other device and he claimed he got 36-hours of use off each charge. I searched all over the web and cannot find such thing. Perhaps I misunderstood what he was doing.... any ideas?
Old 09-14-17, 07:28 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are tons of different battery packs out there. I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo...MR0F578W288G11

I've used it on a 24-hour ride to power my Garmin. No problems at all there. The Garmin charges up quickly and stays on while charging. It doesn't drain much battery

Lights will be the big issue. I have a Cateye Volt 1600 that I love. It's super bright on high and gets great battery life on low. It can go 15 hours on 200 lumens, which I'm comfortable with on most roads. I've recharged it with the battery bank and it drains a lot of juice. The battery is 6800mAh. You need a big battery bank to run that plus a GPS plus rear lights.

The problem is that the battery pack itself takes a long time to charge. You really need a full night to charge it from 0 to full. That's fine if you're touring, but if you're doing some really long ultra ride and not sleeping much, you're going to run into problems.
Old 09-15-17, 02:49 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Sounds like a Klite setup.
kLite.com.au Dynamo Lighting Systems

Old 09-15-17, 04:46 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought he was referring to this video:

Old 09-16-17, 09:43 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
There's an ad in the current American Randonneur magazine from www.sinewavecycles.com, but I know nothing about their products.
Old 09-16-17, 10:53 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I brought a 12000 mAh battery pack on PBP 2015. The embarrassing thing is that I didn't realize the difference between mini- and micro-USB connectors before departing, so it was useless the whole time.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-17-17, 04:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Not sure what you want. Do you just want a big battery(s) so you can charge up several devices several times? Or are you looking for something that will convert you pedaling energy into electricity like a dynohub powered USB charging system? Or both?

If your goal is lots of battery(s), they are out there.
Old 09-24-17, 11:49 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo

Lights will be the big issue. I have a Cateye Volt 1600 that I love. It's super bright on high and gets great battery life on low. It can go 15 hours on 200 lumens, which I'm comfortable with on most roads. I've recharged it with the battery bank and it drains a lot of juice. The battery is 6800mAh. You need a big battery bank to run that plus a GPS plus rear lights.

I have wondered about using a big battery pack to run lights. Do you run the USB cable so that it's charging while running, and if so, is there a problem if it rains (or a good way to prevent such problems)? Or would it be more efficient to have two of each light (front and rear), and leave one to charge in a bag while the other is on?
Old 09-25-17, 10:43 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I brought a 12000 mAh battery pack on PBP 2015. The embarrassing thing is that I didn't realize the difference between mini- and micro-USB connectors before departing, so it was useless the whole time.
I did the same in 2011, argh. Mostly for my phone and my camera, neither of which I could charge. Now, everything is tested on multiple short rides before I take it on a long ride.

I bought a Zendure A2 pack that should be good for a 1200k. I bought it because it can be charged while charging, but I doubt I'll need that.
Old 09-26-17, 04:52 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Ahh! I found the DVD that inspired this thread. It was Mike Hall's tutorial from Inspired to Ride. He had a rather large battery headlamp that had a USB port option to charge accessories. He was against dyno hubs as he was picky about wheelsets.

So I guess he charged the headlamp so he could charge other stuff as needed.
Old 09-26-17, 06:42 PM
c.miller64

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
Ahh! I found the DVD that inspired this thread. It was Mike Hall's tutorial from Inspired to Ride. He had a rather large battery headlamp that had a USB port option to charge accessories. He was against dyno hubs as he was picky about wheelsets.
Things have changed over the past few years and dynamo hubs are now available to fit just about every spoke count and brake type wheel there is. In fact, I pretty sure Mike Hall was running a dynamo hub in his final race at Indy Pac.
Old 09-27-17, 04:52 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by c.miller64
Things have changed over the past few years and dynamo hubs are now available to fit just about every spoke count and brake type wheel there is. In fact, I pretty sure Mike Hall was running a dynamo hub in his final race at Indy Pac.
That was what, the 2012 TransAm? And I do remember spoke count being an issue for him.
Old 10-01-17, 06:01 PM
bikenh

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Anyone, like me, every think about the idea of using a very quick recharge battery that never needs to be plugged in...just recharged. I've been thinking about the idea for a while now, just haven't tried it yet. It should be easy to build and extremely cheap...just pennies...literally. I'm talking a coin battery. Multiple cells back to back and 'side by side' to increase voltage and current. All it would take is a refreshing of the vinegar/electrolyte to recharge the battery which could happen in a matter of seconds. It should be very big and it should last several days nonstop before you would have to recharge it according to what I've seen thus far on the internet. It would need 'cleaned' once a month or so.

The key secret isn't the amp storage but the constant current/voltage supply of the battery. If the battery is constant keeping itself producing electricity than you don't need big amp storage capacity, just constant production which the coin batteries are reported to keep on working for 2-3 days straights. No big battery packs, just smarter battery packs.
Old 10-05-17, 06:38 PM
FlamsteadHill

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Raleigh Venture 4.0, Ross Gran Tour II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenh
Anyone, like me, every think about the idea of using a very quick recharge battery that never needs to be plugged in...just recharged. I've been thinking about the idea for a while now, just haven't tried it yet. It should be easy to build and extremely cheap...just pennies...literally. I'm talking a coin battery. Multiple cells back to back and 'side by side' to increase voltage and current. All it would take is a refreshing of the vinegar/electrolyte to recharge the battery which could happen in a matter of seconds. It should be very big and it should last several days nonstop before you would have to recharge it according to what I've seen thus far on the internet. It would need 'cleaned' once a month or so.

The key secret isn't the amp storage but the constant current/voltage supply of the battery. If the battery is constant keeping itself producing electricity than you don't need big amp storage capacity, just constant production which the coin batteries are reported to keep on working for 2-3 days straights. No big battery packs, just smarter battery packs.
Sounds like a business model, waiting to happen. Seriously, a patent may be something to look into.

BTW, I have no scientific knowledge of the system whereof you speak. But if it's what you purport, I wouldn't give too many details until you have the patent in hand.
Old 10-07-17, 01:35 PM
bikenh

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
Sounds like a business model, waiting to happen. Seriously, a patent may be something to look into.

BTW, I have no scientific knowledge of the system whereof you speak. But if it's what you purport, I wouldn't give too many details until you have the patent in hand.
Anyone that has any brains knows you don't try to patent any free energy device unless you want to end up dead. You can find out all about it on youtube...that's where I came up with the idea. Just search for coin battery. It's just the simple matter of upping the voltage and current and using it for something useful rather than what everyone on youtube is using it for.