Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Power Meter Options

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 12:58 PM
Pilky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Been cycling for about 7 years now and would like to purchase my first power meter by next spring. I'm riding a 2016 CAAD12 Ultegra that has the pretty spider ring seen here:
Spider

After seeing what's out there and reading reviews on different meters it seems like the only way to keep the factory Cannondale chain rings is to go with the following meters I have listed below. Wanted to check with you all to see what you're running and if I might have missed something. If I am correct, and limited to what is below, I'd love to hear your opinions and recommendations.

Crank Arm
Stages (left leg only )

Pedals
Garmin Vector
Power Tap P1
Favero Assioma

Hub
Power Tap G3

Last edited by Pilky; 09-20-18 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-20-18, 01:29 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
I am going to purchase the Favero Assioma Duo pedals. I have wanted a power meter for years but the Powertap hub route seemed too much trouble. Being able to put pedals on and go ( essentialy ), is much easier. A friend bought the Assiomas and loves them.
Old 09-20-18, 04:33 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Watteam Powerbeat G3 (Dual-sided, DIY pods that attach to the arms) - $399. They under-report <5sec efforts over ~800w or so, but seem pretty sold otherwise. Read up on DCR.
SRM has a new set of power pedals.
Old 09-20-18, 04:38 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
PowerTap makes great products but CS sucks. I have a C1 of theirs. Works awesome!
Old 09-20-18, 04:40 PM
WhyFi

Though, personally, I wouldn't plan a power meter purchase just to be able to continue to use a wear item that goes for $250 a pop.
Old 09-20-18, 04:59 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Powertap wheels are a very solid product with a history of solid repeatable data. The only potential down side is one wheel set. I've ended up crank based (SRM) but would not hesitate to put a G3 wheel on a training bike.
Old 09-21-18, 04:31 AM
Pilky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by waters60
I am going to purchase the Favero Assioma Duo pedals. I have wanted a power meter for years but the Powertap hub route seemed too much trouble. Being able to put pedals on and go ( essentialy ), is much easier. A friend bought the Assiomas and loves them.
I have a friend who got a pair earlier this year and also likes them so far.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Watteam Powerbeat G3 (Dual-sided, DIY pods that attach to the arms) - $399. They under-report <5sec efforts over ~800w or so, but seem pretty sold otherwise. Read up on DCR.
SRM has a new set of power pedals.
Those Watteam meters are pretty interesting albeit a little clunky looking but the price is right. I'll check out DCR. SRM are pricey and I don't see any SPD-SL options

Originally Posted by sdmc530
PowerTap makes great products but CS sucks. I have a C1 of theirs. Works awesome!

Though, personally, I wouldn't plan a power meter purchase just to be able to continue to use a wear item that goes for $250 a pop.
Fair point. I personally don't go through chain rings that often so I'm not too concerned

Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Powertap wheels are a very solid product with a history of solid repeatable data. The only potential down side is one wheel set. I've ended up crank based (SRM) but would not hesitate to put a G3 wheel on a training bike.
If I went the hub route I would go for their prebuilt DT Swiss R460 or AMP 35 wheelsets
Old 09-21-18, 04:57 PM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I love my G3 Powertap hub. I got when the price dropped from a ridiculous $800 to a reasonable -$400. I built it up with a Farsports carbon rim and got nice setup for a total of less than $650. I didn't want to change out my Speedplay pedals to use a pedal based system and I never really looked at a crank based system.
Old 09-22-18, 08:43 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

fyi you you can change the chain rings when they do wear out for not a crazy cost. They will even factory overhaul it too when you do get the rings. The actual pm and rings are a separate units on the crank assembly It’s a pretty good deal. Turn around does suck though I guess. Weeks I am told.
Old 09-22-18, 09:03 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by sdmc530
fyi you you can change the chain rings when they do wear out for not a crazy cost. They will even factory overhaul it too when you do get the rings. The actual pm and rings are a separate units on the crank assembly It’s a pretty good deal. Turn around does suck though I guess. Weeks I am told.
I was talking about the C'dale Spiderings - is that what you're referring to, or are you talking about your Ptap C1?
Old 09-22-18, 10:04 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I was talking about the C'dale Spiderings - is that what you're referring to, or are you talking about your Ptap C1?

sorry i should have been more clear. The C1 is what i was referring to. Didn’t mean to get mixed up on topics.
Old 09-22-18, 11:23 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ran a powertap SL+ hub built into a Williams 30 rim on my CAAD10 for several years - no fuss, very reliable, solid. Recently, prompted by a desire to upgrade wheels or get a new bike, I bought a set of Favero Assiomo Duo pedals and have been very happy. Power readings seem comparable, love getting the left/right readout and metrics around the efficiency of my pedal stroke and of course, they're very light. Battery life seems excellent too.
Old 09-23-18, 10:33 PM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both SRM and Power2Max make Hollowgram compatible powermeters and they are good kit. If you're keen on retaining the Spider-ring and want dual power, then pedal-based would be the go

cheers
Old 09-24-18, 06:21 AM
MakiNn

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
even quarq made a pwoermeter for cannonade cranks a few years back you can find used, but I would say go to best bargain is the power2max ng eco, its like 450 shipped to your door for the spider, I am currently using a Rotor 3D+ crank with a power2max PM, love the set up
Old 09-24-18, 06:40 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I went with pedals myself. it just seems like such an easy solution that requires no fuss. I have the Assioma Duo. And now that I've had them for one season, I would buy the Uno if I'd known how little benefit the Duos give me. Yes, I have L/R readings, but so what? I have no idea how to use it. I'm just a stronger road rider, not a racer, and all that data is meaningless. I just wanted the basics, what am I putting out, what was the average, and what were the peaks.
Old 09-26-18, 06:58 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
I just saw yesterday that CleverTraining is selling P1 pedals for $399, which seems a pretty good price for those not wed to their current pedals (or who are already using compatible cleats).

I got a pair of Assioma Duo this past Spring, and think they're awesome. I've had both wired and wireless Powertap wheels over the years, and always disliked the limitations, specifically in that I have multiple bikes and wheels sets, and invariably something wouldn't match up when selecting the bike, like the wrong tire on the Powertap for the ride, wrong cassette or whatever.

These Assioma swap bikes effortlessly, so for my needs, there's no better power meter solution (power meters, plural, yes, that'd work!).
Old 09-26-18, 08:22 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by chaadster
I just saw yesterday that CleverTraining is selling P1 pedals for $399, which seems a pretty good price for those not wed to their current pedals (or who are already using compatible cleats).
The problem with the Ptap P1 is that, unlike Garmin and Favero, they're not offering any upgrade path from the single-sided to the dual-sided - that kinda blows.
Old 09-26-18, 10:23 AM
Peter2290

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-MOD

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm probably going to get the Assioma Duo pedals for my Evo when Clevertraining has their 20% off sale around Black Friday (I think?). Looks to be the best dual-sided solution while keeping the Spidering.
Old 09-26-18, 02:43 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
OP, what do you want the power meter for? Your intended use should be factored in to which PM you go with.

For example, if you plan to do very specific and intense training, I'd encourage you to go for an SRM. You can find used Cannondale SRM spiders for about $500, though you would not be able to use your current spiderring.

If you plan to race on race wheels, PT Hubs are not a good option.

If all you want is power numbers for minor training/curiousity, then Favero, SRM or PT pedals or Stages crank arm are good options.

Regardless, do not buy Wattbeam or Garmin.
Old 09-26-18, 03:21 PM
MattyMurdah

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Cross // 2014 Scott Addict 10

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Favero Asseoma. I recently purchased a Stages Ultegra r8000 dual-sided crankset and it works great but after having a professional bike fit, I'm beginning to think I would be better served by shorter cranks (oh well!). Not to mention, I still have to buy additional power meters for my other bikes.

Check out DCRainmaker & Shane Miller's reviews on the Asseoma duo's... pretty impressive and I love the fact that they're rechargeable and require no torque wrench to move from bike to bike. (why create more trash burning through disposable batteries when you can just recharge?) You can always start with the L and then upgrade if/when you desire.

Only "downside" is that I do prefer Shimano pedals/cleats over Look style.
Old 10-01-18, 10:12 AM
Pilky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by topflightpro
OP, what do you want the power meter for? Your intended use should be factored in to which PM you go with.

For example, if you plan to do very specific and intense training, I'd encourage you to go for an SRM. You can find used Cannondale SRM spiders for about $500, though you would not be able to use your current spiderring.

If you plan to race on race wheels, PT Hubs are not a good option.

If all you want is power numbers for minor training/curiousity, then Favero, SRM or PT pedals or Stages crank arm are good options.
A couple days before i created this thread I was out on a group ride with some strong riders and wanted to keep the same pace they were. I was on the front and approached a hill and afterwards one of the guys said "do you know you just did 600w up that hill?". It'd be nice to have power instead of relying on heart rate in those kinds of situations. I did my first crit this year and had a blast. Looking forward to doing more next year. At this point I'm thinking a Stages left side or Assioma's would more than suit my "needs"

Originally Posted by MattyMurdah
Only "downside" is that I do prefer Shimano pedals/cleats over Look style.
Ya i agree with you there
Old 10-02-18, 07:53 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilky
I did my first crit this year and had a blast. Looking forward to doing more next year. At this point I'm thinking a Stages left side or Assioma's would more than suit my "needs"
Yes, you'd probably want to avoid the PowerTap pedals for crits, as they restrict lean angle when pedaling through turns. The Assioma are as good as most any standard clipless pedal in that regard.
Old 06-21-19, 05:27 AM
Giorgio Yellow

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

Is there anyone having pictures with the Cannondale crankset and Favero Assioma combination?

Thank you.
Old 06-21-19, 10:01 AM
hsuehhwa

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have had experiences with the following power meters:

1. Favero Assioma Duo pedals: great PM at its price range, if you're OK with Look-style pedals.

2. Stages: left only or dual side. Make sure you get the generation 3 models. Gen 1& 2 have connection issues with Garmin.
Old 06-21-19, 10:49 AM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Look at the pedals. Look at the crank. Use your imagination. Pretty much just pedals that are hard to get out of! But I love them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.