Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Used Specialized Allez

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Used Specialized Allez

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 03:55 PM
bguiliano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used Specialized Allez

Hi all,
New to bikes and this forum.
I have been looking for a used road bike and came across one on eBay...
specialized allez road bike Men’s 54
I have a few questions....
1. is there an easy way to find out the year of the particular model ? ( I asked the seller, they didn't know..they told me they bought it used)
2. if its an older one...what do they normally go for? Or what should I look out for?
3. Its a 54 size frame..I am about 5'10....is that a good size?

thanks

Brent
Old 08-12-20, 04:00 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I also have 54 Allez Sprint
5.9", perfect size, if you like a very aggressive Race/Crit bike

What are they asking, what components does it have ?
Old 08-12-20, 04:02 PM
bguiliano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is all that is in the description
This bike has very low miles on it. Carbon FACT front fork, Carbon seat post, Shimano clip pedals, turbo computer (does not seem to be working).
Old 08-12-20, 07:09 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
I think the model year is on a sticker either on the down or seat tube near the BB or under the BB.

Glenn
Old 08-12-20, 07:17 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by bguiliano
this is all that is in the description
This bike has very low miles on it. Carbon FACT front fork, Carbon seat post, Shimano clip pedals, turbo computer (does not seem to be working).
What groupset? Meaning the front and rear derailleurs, shifters and brakes. What wheels?

BTW.. .i'm 5'10.5" and ride a 56 with a 110mm stem. I once rode a 54 and found it twitchy. but with such a shortage of bike, you might not find anything else.

2 owners, so it should be cheap.
Old 08-12-20, 07:40 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
In the absence of better answers from your seller, you might benefit from a few photos from which you can find more info and draw a couple conclusions.
A good photo of the frame will show you whether this bike is of a current design / recent model year or if it's an older style. The seller say it has low miles so you hope the bike is not too old.
A photo of the rear derailleur and the chainring / crankset might tell you what component group is on the bike.
And a photo(s) of the rims and hubs to see what wheel set is on the bike.

You don't yet know what shape the bike is in, or whether it's carrying stock / original components or if its been rebuilt with parts better or worse than the original equipment.
The FACT carbon fork is standard on many Specialized aluminum frames in the last 5 years or so, that might be a clue to the bike's age, and at any rate it's a good reliable fork in the price range where the Allez line sits.
If the bike is carrying stock components, then it probably has Shimano Tiagra or 105 series and if the bike is under 5 years old that stuff is probably in good working condition unless the bike's been totally neglected / abused. You'd hope that an owner who adds a carbon seat post knows and cares enough to maintain the bike decently.\
It's important to figure out what wheels are on it, not least of all to the price you decide to offer or eventually agree.
It's good that it has Shimano pedals included.
It seems like there are indicators that the bike is well equipped, but usually owners / sellers are eager to list all the bike's cool qualities ,but that part is missing here.

Assuming the bike's no older than 3 or 4 years and you can verify it's in good shape per the seller's low-mileage claim . . .
For an Allez Sport with stock / original parts, I'd offer maybe $500
For an Allez Elite with stock / original parts, maybe $1000 but no more.
If it's an Allez Sprint, this has different considerations. The Sprint is often bought only as a frameset and used for a custom build-up specifically for crit racing. If this is the case here, you might expect a higher selling price like $1500 and up.

Ot to hell with all of this, and offer him $500 . . . when he counters you will likely get all kinds of reasons / info / details as to why his asking price is higher.
Likes For jimmyodonnell:
Old 08-12-20, 09:27 PM
GAtkins

My Specialized Allez from 2009 had a carbon fork, seat stays, and seat post; full 105 group set.

Glenn
Old 08-13-20, 11:49 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
For size, you're in the ballpark. I'm 5'10" with relatively short legs (30" inseam pants), and my bikes are 55cm and M/L, one with a 550mm top tube, the other with a 557mm top tube. If you're getting a 54cm in a more aggressive geometry (which the Allez might be), you're probably no more than a stem and a spacer or two away from reasonable fit. The Allez will likely be (roughly) long enough to accommodate your torso, but I'm betting it will also be a bit lower than you'd be comfortable with - which is where a taller stem or spacers (if you have the necessary steerer tube length) will come into play.

But yes, a picture would e worth a thousand words.
Old 08-13-20, 01:17 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
This seems to be the bike.

At your height I wouldn't put you on a 54 cm. Specialized ballpark fits says it could work but if you have normal proportions, 56 cm would be better.
Old 08-13-20, 03:30 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
This seems to be the bike.

At your height I wouldn't put you on a 54 cm. Specialized ballpark fits says it could work but if you have normal proportions, 56 cm would be better.

The photos on the Ebay link show this bike has Sora brakes, Tiagra rear derailleur and Sugino crankset. It looks to be 5 or more years old. I cannot tell what model the Shimano pedals are but they've been through some wear n tear. Wheelset looks to be stock but cannot tell for sure. Anyway the seller's asking price is listed right there at $850 which wasn't mentioned in the OP. if this bike fits, I might offer $500 and see where the discussion goes. There's nothing wrong with a good Allez frame + fork but the wheel set probably needs an upgrade, the pedals might need an upgrade, and the componentry is mismatched and could mean this bike has had different parts on-and-off it during its life. It might be perfectly fine but should be no surprise if this bike needs some care / adjustment before riding smoothly
Old 08-13-20, 03:41 PM
GAtkins

If that is the bike, the seller has terrible feedback. Didn't look at the underlying ratings, but overall is 91.8% on 122 total ratings.

Glenn
Old 08-13-20, 03:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
The photos on the Ebay link show this bike has Sora brakes, Tiagra rear derailleur and Sugino crankset. It looks to be 5 or more years old. I cannot tell what model the Shimano pedals are but they've been through some wear n tear. Wheelset looks to be stock but cannot tell for sure. Anyway the seller's asking price is listed right there at $850 which wasn't mentioned in the OP. if this bike fits, I might offer $500 and see where the discussion goes. There's nothing wrong with a good Allez frame + fork but the wheel set probably needs an upgrade, the pedals might need an upgrade, and the componentry is mismatched and could mean this bike has had different parts on-and-off it during its life. It might be perfectly fine but should be no surprise if this bike needs some care / adjustment before riding smoothly
$850 is the new price.... $400 or walk away.
Old 08-13-20, 04:22 PM
bguiliano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all....
I don't think I am going to go forward with it. I am a bit worried about about it already being the second owner and the mis matched parts.
Old 08-14-20, 01:03 AM
MakiNn

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
For that pricing you could get a ultegra Caad12 easy peezy haha
Old 08-14-20, 09:56 AM
JS41989

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL5 Comp Disc

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by glennr
$850 is the new price.... $400 or walk away.
+1