Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any other old timers enjoy riding slow?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any other old timers enjoy riding slow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 07:19 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rydabent
Actually what I have said is that probably 80% or more of cyclist would be better served if they rode a recumbent or trike. Pain is virtually eliminated.
80% or more of cyclists are in pain due to their bike? Do you have a source for your claim? It sure seems to be really outlandish.

Also, do you really think that the mountain bikers that are part of your "80% or more" would be able to ride singletrack on a recumbent or trike?
Old 10-20-18, 06:56 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by ogmtb
80% or more of cyclists are in pain due to their bike? Do you have a source for your claim? It sure seems to be really outlandish.

Also, do you really think that the mountain bikers that are part of your "80% or more" would be able to ride singletrack on a recumbent or trike?
I will state again for the umpteenth time. Yes-------------mountain bikes are the exception. No ---- most bents do not work on mountain trails. But there again some fat tire trikes CAN use many mountain bike trails. And also do to the stiffed necked member of the UCI you cant ride bents in the races they are in charge of.

Now will you admit that a large area web seat is more comfortable than a tiny little saddle? Especially for the occasional rider.
Old 10-20-18, 05:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

Pretty sure it comes from the Journal of Pulled It Out His Nether Regions.
Old 10-20-18, 10:52 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I will state again for the umpteenth time. Yes-------------mountain bikes are the exception. No ---- most bents do not work on mountain trails. But there again some fat tire trikes CAN use many mountain bike trails.

Ok. Got it. When you posted "probably 80% or more of cyclist" you aren't considering mountain bikers to be cyclists. Odd, but at least you clarified.

Now will you admit that a large area web seat is more comfortable than a tiny little saddle? Especially for the occasional rider.

I'll answer your question once you have answered mine. That's only fair.

Here are my questions that you failed to answer:

"80% or more of cyclists are in pain due to their bike? Do you have a source for your claim?"
Old 10-21-18, 07:04 AM
rydabent
Banned

Ok. Got it. When you posted "probably 80% or more of cyclist" you aren't considering mountain bikers to be cyclists. Odd, but at least you clarified.

"80% or more of cyclists are in pain due to their bike? Do you have a source for your claim?"
Personal experience. I have sagged a large number of our bike club rides. When most of the DF riders ride up they jump off their bikes, pick at their laundry and shake out their hands. Bent cyclist OTOH ride up stay seated, finish off their water bottles before getting off. Please dont tell me a large mesh seat is not more comfortable than a tiny saddle!!!!!!! Since long day riding is necessary for cross country riders, more and more of them are going to bents and trikes. Primary is comfort, and second is the view.

Also remember almost all of us bent riders put tens of thousands of miles on DF bikes before we got our bents. We know what the plusses and minuses of DF bikes are. Can you state that you and all of the other bike riders have put thousands of miles on a bent, so you can truely say you know what you are talking against?

Last edited by rydabent; 10-28-18 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-21-18, 07:16 AM
rydabent
Banned

BTW when you include ALL cyclist, that means you must include everyone that has a bike. Most of which are only ridden occasionally in the summer, the 80% is probably not far out of line at all. Remember also, those of us that post here are also probably only less than 1% of cyclist in the country. WE are the cycling odd balls.
Old 10-21-18, 09:42 AM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Also remember almost all of us bent riders put tens of thousands of miles on DF bikes before we got our bents. We know what the plusses and minuses of DF bikes are. Can you state that you and all of the other bike riders have put thousands of miles on a bent, so you can truely say you know what you are talking against?
What am I "talking against"?

I merely asked you to provide a source for your claim that "80% or more of cyclists are in pain due to their bike."

You have't bee able to provide a source and instead continue to only offer your opinion.
Old 10-21-18, 10:14 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts

Sort of... taking the road bike into the wilds every third day and keeping the legs spinning on a recumbent training bike on off days. It's fun having a padded tractor seat and web 'chair' back... yesterday was an outdoor ride which coincided with the 2018 Bay-to-Bay ride for MS. Saw a lot of folks-- more tandems than I've seen in years and quite a few recumbents which all or most seemed to be the type with a single small but fairly wide rear wheel with two wheels up front-- all older dudes with a head up but otherwise, practically a laying down position with hands at their sides.
Old 11-08-18, 03:22 AM
LesWaller

Bikes: Brompton Folding Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm all about slow...

I'm all about slow, as a matter of fact one of the reasons I bought my folding bike was so I can put it in my trunk and go for a ride when we reach our destination. My wife loves to walk for an hour around some of these old towns in Europe. I cannot enjoy doing that as my lower back starts hurting from slow long walks. So, now I can just peddle around the town and even see more things in the town because even riding a bike slowly is faster than walking.

I keep the bike in the car all the time. My wife decides to go to a swapmeet then I'll pull it out of the trunk and just pedal around the area rather than sit in the car. And, there's no way I can walk around the swapmeet. I do that and I'm done for the rest of the day. After a slow bike ride I feel great!
Old 11-09-18, 11:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by LesWaller
I'm all about slow, as a matter of fact one of the reasons I bought my folding bike was so I can put it in my trunk and go for a ride when we reach our destination. My wife loves to walk for an hour around some of these old towns in Europe. I cannot enjoy doing that as my lower back starts hurting from slow long walks. So, now I can just peddle around the town and even see more things in the town because even riding a bike slowly is faster than walking.

I keep the bike in the car all the time. My wife decides to go to a swapmeet then I'll pull it out of the trunk and just pedal around the area rather than sit in the car. And, there's no way I can walk around the swapmeet. I do that and I'm done for the rest of the day. After a slow bike ride I feel great!
I know exactly what you mean. Slow walking, stopping, standing while my wife shops kills my back too. I can ride 30 miles on my trike and be less tired.
Old 11-09-18, 12:26 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Personal experience. I have sagged a large number of our bike club rides. When most of the DF riders ride up they jump off their bikes, pick at their laundry and shake out their hands. Bent cyclist OTOH ride up stay seated, finish off their water bottles before getting off. Please dont tell me a large mesh seat is not more comfortable than a tiny saddle!!!!!!! Since long day riding is necessary for cross country riders, more and more of them are going to bents and trikes. Primary is comfort, and second is the view.

That could be because it's harder to get in & out of a 'bent, & more complex to park one.

They may not be more comfortable, just confused about how to hang their bike on the rack.
Old 11-09-18, 01:51 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
Those were not my words but I bet if you asked any medical doctor if someone in they're 60s riding a bicycle 50 miles at 19 mph might be at a medical risk he would say yes
I would probably disagree with this statement also. Any rider who routinely rides 50 miles at 19mph has adapted with the built-up capacity to do so. An untrained person who attempts this might be in danger.

Of course, the more dangerous exertion can be found on the basketball court during older pick--up games. Plenty of heart attacks there. At least, anecdotally...
Old 11-10-18, 06:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

Again-------------------remember all of us bent riders have put tens of thousands of miles on a DF bike. We can tell you with full assurance that a large webbed seat is far more comfortable than a tiny saddle. Especially when ridding for several hours. Can you argue with that?
Old 11-10-18, 01:00 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Again-------------------remember all of us bent riders have put tens of thousands of miles on a DF bike. We can tell you with full assurance that a large webbed seat is far more comfortable than a tiny saddle. Especially when ridding for several hours. Can you argue with that?
Again, I asked you to provide a source for your claim that "80% or more of cyclists are in pain due to their bike."

You haven't been able to answer my simple question and instead continue to only offer your opinion. Now you're attempting to change the discussion to whether a "large webbed seat is far more comfortable than a tiny saddle."

To answer your new question, let me use an analogy that shows just how meaningless your previous "80%" claim is:

A Barcalounger is more comfortable than a bar stool. That does not mean that 80% of the people that sit on bar stools are in pain.

Last edited by ogmtb; 11-10-18 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-10-18, 07:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Those were not my words but I bet if you asked any medical doctor if someone in they're 60s riding a bicycle 50 miles at 19 mph might be at a medical risk he would say yes
That's pretty funny. My doctor is over 60 and rides. He just finished a sea-to-sea tour through the Pyrenees, over all the famous Tour passes. He likes it that I ride hard and long distances. I'm 73 and can't keep up with him, too bad. But I try.

I'm sorry that you can't do that, though I don't quite understand why your blood pressure skyrockets. Riding hard and long has been beneficial for all my physiological markers. Though I understand that's not universal, studies say it's much more likely to be true than not. However that is, my guess is that it's better to ride slowly than not at all.
Old 11-10-18, 08:22 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,046 Times in 4,477 Posts
Since we are re-hashing some of these posts I would offer that someone in their 60s who CAN ride 50 miles at 19mph is in pretty good shape. I would worry more about an individual who doesn't do anything as more of a medical risk.
Old 11-11-18, 07:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Again, I asked you to provide a source for your claim that "80% or more of cyclists are in pain due to their bike."

You haven't been able to answer my simple question and instead continue to only offer your opinion. Now you're attempting to change the discussion to whether a "large webbed seat is far more comfortable than a tiny saddle."

To answer your new question, let me use an analogy that shows just how meaningless your previous "80%" claim is:

A Barcalounger is more comfortable than a bar stool. That does not mean that 80% of the people that sit on bar stools are in pain.
If saddles are so comfortable as you say they are, why dont bars put in saddles rather than bar stools?
Old 11-11-18, 08:28 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
If saddles are so comfortable as you say they are, why dont bars put in saddles rather than bar stools?
Possibly for the same reason they don't put in recumbent-style seating?

Have you ever considered the possibility, however remote, that some folks might prefer to ride a "conventional" bicycle because they find it, overall (which includes hill climbing in states with 3D topography), to be more comfortable?
Old 11-11-18, 08:52 AM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You've lived all of those years and you don't understand what an analogy is. That's sad.

Almost as sad as just making up a fake statistic ("80% or more of cyclists are in pain due to their bike') and then being too much of a coward to admit that you have no proof.
Old 11-11-18, 10:58 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
I think part of the reason a recumbent bike is a popular choice among some is because it's still unusual... although not really a new thing like ebikes, they're still, a niche market -- like ebikes and folders -- that perhaps could take off some day but unlike ebikes, probably not.

700c road bikes are a niche too-- just, a bigger niche. Roadies certainly are not a new thing and despite a long and interesting history, I think the same can be said about road bikers being a bit unusual, especially if instead of looking at all the categories, you just look at drop bar vs. straight bar bikes.

Drop bar road bikes have grown a bit from 2005 but still do not amount to more than ~20% of sales. A fifth of annual sales totaling mostly in the 17s to 19s (millions of units) is a big number but, MTB and hybrid/cross bikes each have higher shares. Comfort+youth+cruiser bikes come in at ~30% whereas...

Recumbents, 1-2% with ebikes at ~1/2%.
Old 11-12-18, 08:33 AM
DeceptivelySlow

Bikes: Two wheels; multiple gears

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Possibly for the same reason they don't put in recumbent-style seating?

Have you ever considered the possibility, however remote, that some folks might prefer to ride a "conventional" bicycle because they find it, overall (which includes hill climbing in states with 3D topography), to be more comfortable?
This thread sure has gotten bent. The only time I ride fast is downhill and I would not feel comfortable on a high speed mountain decent riding a bent. Coincidentally no one else seems to either, at least in this neck of the woods. Pedaling a tank up a mountain isn't so appealing to me either.
Old 11-12-18, 12:30 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by LesWaller
So, now I can just peddle around the town and even see more things in the town because even riding a bike slowly is faster than walking...I keep the bike in the car all the time.
You betcha'. I get in a lot of little, fun rides this way. "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

Old 11-12-18, 12:39 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by caloso
Most racers are amateurs, but the great thing about bike racing, as opposed to car racing or sailing for example, is that pro level equipment is accessible to even old Cat 3s with day jobs.
In fact deep pocket amateurs can ride bikes that 'exceed' UCI rules - and they don't have to worry about doping controls, either!
Old 11-12-18, 05:35 PM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
In fact deep pocket amateurs can ride bikes that 'exceed' UCI rules - and they don't have to worry about doping controls, either!
Not so, another Master racer busted:
https://www.usada.org/steven-strickl...ping-sanction/
Old 11-12-18, 10:24 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by tony2v
Not so, another Master racer busted
Just as you say. I was thinking more of the cats who show up for rides together on Saturday mornings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.